Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Anchorage harbors

  1. #1
    Member sls4ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Mulldoon
    Posts
    31

    Default Anchorage harbors

    I have worked in Valdez, and am aware of Whittier. How does the small boat harbor in anchorage stack up for launching?
    What are other favorite ramps or launches for my 19" bayboat?

  2. #2

    Default

    Launching and Parking in Anchorage is way easier...Navigating the Cook Inlet is a little challenging for the first timer or newbie to boating. Those that can read water, weather, tide books and charts should have no problem. The Anchorage Small Boat Harbor is under utilized because a lot of Anchorage Boaters are the type of people that think they can buy a boat...they are an operator...They try once and get their reality check and never go back.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default

    Where is the boat harbor(s) in anchorage??

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by easthillsfbx View Post
    Where is the boat harbor(s) in anchorage??
    Down by the ARR and the Port of Anchorage. Ship Creek area where it dumps into the inlet, if you are familiar with that landmark.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by easthillsfbx View Post
    Where is the boat harbor(s) in anchorage??

    Upper O'Malley, near Flattop. Launching is easiest in the Winter.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks hippy, may your boat sink. Its no wonder we (fairbanks) hate anchorage.
    Last edited by Paul H; 05-12-2011 at 09:16.

  7. #7
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by easthillsfbx View Post
    Thanks hippy, may your boat sink. Its no wonder we (fairbanks) hate anchorage.

    Well, hey, don't get your epaulets in in a bunch. If you can't realize that there is a Port of Anchorage and mayhaps that'd be the location of, um....The Port, pardon moi if it's worth a chuckle. But it's all good, I hate Los Anchorage too....Almost as much as Squarebanks...
    Last edited by Paul H; 05-12-2011 at 09:16.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    a-town
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Almost as much as Squarebanks...
    one cannot hate such a place enough

  9. #9
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Let's try and be funny w/o resorting to foul language.

    I may also come across as a smart alleck, but if you look in Upper Cook Inlet you'll see a lack of small boats on the water. Given the largest number of boats and fishermen reside in the greater Anchorage bowl, one might wonder why it is few if any venture out in the inlet. The short answer is there is little to no productive fishing, and a good chance of getting stuck in the silt.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  10. #10
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sls4ak View Post
    I have worked in Valdez, and am aware of Whittier. How does the small boat harbor in anchorage stack up for launching?
    What are other favorite ramps or launches for my 19" bayboat?
    The one thing that hasn't been mentioned here (yet) is the fact you have a rather small window of time to launch and recover on a high tide... and if your gonna launch into upper cook inlet, you better pay attention to the tides and the wx... because it's no place to be in a small craft in foul wx..

  11. #11

    Thumbs up Great for Ship Creek...

    One of my all time favorite things to do; My brother-in-law had the ultimate set-up for Ship Creek, we would launch his boat at the Anc. ramp, park the truck/trailer for dollars (sometimes it was $2.00) motor around the corner into Ship Creek, which is only a few hundred feet away. Drop the anchor in a nice spot in the middle of the action (staying out of bank fishers way of course), drop our lines, and enjoy the scenery. The view of the city, watching the fishing action, completely comfortable in a chair, no mud, no line tangles, no fuel cost, no bugs, no rough seas, no days of prep work, food access at your fingers, it's the best seat the house! I always dream about having a boat for that, so simple!

  12. #12
    Member tzieli22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Right on Myers... That's what I do 99% of the time. The cost now is $5bucks.
    Tony

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •