Thread: Polaris 6x6 chains

Default Polaris 6x6 chains

Broke a rear chain on the wife's '02 6x6.
    Called HPAK, rear chain runs $125-, front one $80- or so. labor is 1.5 hrs bringing the total to $350+/-.
    It has about 1200 miles or so on it.
    Anyone have any advice on doing it yourself, splicing the new chains, adjusting the tension on the new ones, should we replace the sprockets at the same time, etc... Does it require special tools and so on.
    Looking for some advice here.
    BK

Definitely change the sprockets and chains as a set, they wear together and your new chain on an old sprocket will wear out quickly.

Go to PSS (Power Sports Stuff) on the Parks Hwy (892-8722). He can get the sprockets and carries the exact same chain in bulk and it is considerably cheaper than OEM. Find the length of your stock chain and just have him give you the right length.

Changing things out isn't all that hard, just shoot me a PM if you want a hand or if you want to borrow my shop manual.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Listen to Mud! They are not very difficult to change. I also have a stateside supplier for the chain that will ship free to a friend or family member in the lower 48 and then they can ship them priority flat rate up here to you and save you even more. I did that with my old argo and replaced all of the chains/sprockets for less than a 1/4 of what the argo dealer wanted to charge me and the chains were better quality!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thanks for the tips. I was sure there must be another way besides the dealer prices to get it done.
    AkMud, I'll get with you next month regarding the manual. Hunt'n'photos, same deal, might need your chain supply info.
    BK

I don't know if it is still true but a guy told me to go to www.rockymountainatv.com to get some a few years ago. He said they are cheaper. You can try if you like.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I would suggest to count the links instead of measuring the chain because the old chain you will measure will have stretched some perhaps by as much as 2 or 3 links worth.

Thanks guys. I'll start digging in to this project in early June I suppose. Need to get the spring bear hunt over and run up to Fairbanks and p/u the airboat, repair the couple missing shingles on the roof, etc...
    BK

got my chain in anch off international airport rd. alaska bearing i think, across from the bush company, they carry that stuff also

i got mine at alaska bearing off international airport, across from enstar, ditto on the sprocket change out also...