Thread: Healy Cow Moose tag!

Default Healy Cow Moose tag!

Drew the Healy archery cow moose tag. Anyone got any good suggestions for up there.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Access is reasonable on the Ferry trail using the railroad bridge.
    Do a search for Ferry trail and lots of info regarding width of the rail road bridge, hunt areas and lots of other stuff.
    Beautiful country that had one of the highest densities of moose in the state till a dumb*** biologist started screwing around with calf, cow, and any bull permits.
    Shouldn't be a problem getting a cow in short order in that GMU.
    BK

One of my favorite places in AK. Check out the archery-only area on the map. There is good access in there. the country is steep and yes, it holds great amounts of bulls and cows. I've hunted that area more than a few times. Great camping spots, lots of water, trails for wheeler access, seen a few griz, blackies, hares, and wolves in there as well as caribou. Lots of spruce grouse and a healthy population of roughed grouse - makes camping table fair awsome while hunting moose - so take your judo points. Plenty of places exhist to get up high, sit, and glass - shouldn't take more than a few minutes to spot your target. I would suggest, if time allows, to go up there for a weekend trip and get familiar with the area - that way there will be less suprises. Plan on arrowing a moose down low and having to climb back and forth with a pack, but plenty of times fortune has found myself busting moose off of the trails. I'm jealous, you should have a great hunt this fall. Be safe, take lots of pix and let us know how you fair.

bkmail, I think he pulled the tag in the Healy Lignite Bow only area, so access on the ferry trail is not necessary. Access is indeed easy. It is a great area. I screwed up last year by only giving myself a short weekend to hunt it and came up short after a blown stalk.

Good luck.

dkwarthog,
    After rereading it I see what you mean. Should have paid better attention I suppose.
    BK

My EX. lives in HEALY, anytime my daughter flies up to visit, moose are always in and around the yard. during your bow season, can you carry a revolver????? seems the grizz. also like healy. good luck. HEALEY.