Thread: Anchor point King derby?? Hmmm.....

Default Anchor point King derby?? Hmmm.....

So did anyone else read the post in the saltwater section about the anchor point king derby and go..."HMMMMmmmmmm........"

I did! That's really all I wanted to post...no need to encourage more competition. lol.

Seriously, anyone else want to consider it. I was going to launch out of Whiskey gulch anyways. This would just increase my day from hitting only the afternoon high tide for butts to an all day paddle against the current for kings during tide changes.

Marine weather as always up and down.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default South Wind + 2 ft seas

A little more competition,a little bit of boat traffic,cash prizes,the Anchor Inn.......
    Sounds pretty good to me.....Low tide @ 7:32 am minus 0.4 ft high tide @ 1:38 pm 17.7 ft

Fish an entire flood tide,limit out before high tide starts running out,go get a cold one to re-hydrate-----hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder if we could register Sat morning instead of Friday nite.
    Some of the bets (boat bets) sounded a lttle steep for my pocket but there are possibilities here.hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Something to ponder eh ?

I just called the pres of the sportsman's association at 5:45.Will post possibilties when he returns my call.

If the forecast holds, I will take half day off on Friday and head down. It's a tournament....I plan to fish every minute possible until I catch one. It's just a matter of how and how much effort to expend. I guess what I mean by that is I think we need to coordinate vehicles. At least for me, and even for those that can make headway against wind and/or current the most effective way is to cover as much water as possible with minimal effort. In the course of a 12 hour day, i think we are going to get more maximum effective fishing time if we use the current and wind to propel us at least somewhat versus fighting it for 12 hours. So that means using at least some gas power to reposition.

If I can get my act together, I was thinking about rigging up a anchoring system. Whenever I wanted a break, I'd consider anchoring up close to shore and just fishing from there. I think it can be done safely... They do it in the Columbia River. I think the key is just to have a buoy so there is no downward force and a quick release for fighting a fish or for any other reason like a big wake. 40 feet of cord so i can anchor in 10 to 15 ft of water and a 6 pound downrigger ball (with fins so it won't roll), I have two in case one isn't enough. But 12 pounds sounds like overkill. Run kwikfish if the current is running, herring or small jig if its not running fast enough.

The quick and easy way is to attach a guide to my bow handle like a short section of pvc pipe with the top cut off so easy to get rope in or out. Slip knot to somewhere so if I need to release all i need to to do is yank on loose end. Can come and retrieve the buoy later.

With a south wind and an incoming tide, we will cover a lot of ground in a hurry. High tide is at 1:30pmish so the current doesn't really start flowing down until 3pm or so.

Let me think about this and post some information that we can use for planning. I wonder if we have to launch from somewhere in particular?

Kard---pm sent

I just reserved a nite (Friday) at the Anchor River Inn for$70 on-line.I will be registering the "official" nite .Plus maybe a drink or 2 in the lounge.And maybe a wager on myself.The president of the sportsman's association said no one has ever fished this derby out of a kayak so this may set a new standard.Let's raise the bar for them boys............

Ok Sweet! Let's hope the weather holds.

So far it looks like there maybe four of us that I know of! If any one else would like to join us PM me! Some super secret planning going on to see if we can't sneak a win from the power boats. lol.

kardinal-84-----your adventure last weekend made the Anchorage Daily News-----you're famous dude

Looks like NOAA is calling for 3 ft seas on Saturday__________for now......

Yea... did they actually contact you or did they just rip it off from your blog?

Congrats anyway LOL

or infamous....lol. I have friends that sometimes aren't too happy I share my exploits. Well for about 90% of them, I remind them that it was my sharing that showed them the spot or how to in a particular area. But even in my blogs and old logs, I only try to name general areas or large popular bodies of water. I agree that half the fun is searching out and trying new things.

Now what would definitely make the papers is a non-motorized boat winning this derby! Let's do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Yea... did they actually contact you or did they just rip it off from your blog?

Congrats anyway LOL
    They called late afternoon asking if it was ok. I said sure, its a public blog. I was hoping they'd at least mention the blog and especially these forums since I played the forum up as an especially good place for information.

Registration Anchor Point King Derby

I saw in some other posts that a few guys want to fish this derby but did not want to come down Friday night to register. I ran into Stan Harrington (one of the organizers) this morning and he said to call him at the Anchor River Inn 907-235-8531 Friday between 5PM to 7PM and you can register by phone and then pay your fee Sat morning. Hope this helps for anyone that did not want to come down early. Good Luck. Dan
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Thanks for the info Dan .I did not get that same answer,but whatever works to get guys out there fishing is good by me...

This is a great idea to get a bunch of you kayak fishing guys out in that derby..
    and Congratulations on making the paper !!!!
    What a thrill that must have been to catch that fish..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    This is a great idea to get a bunch of you kayak fishing guys out in that derby..
    and Congratulations on making the paper !!!!
    What a thrill that must have been to catch that fish..
    Max
    Thanks. It was unexpected for sure but certainly reinforces the motto of Perseverance Pays. Like my father once taught me, the only truth in fishing is that the fish are in the water. So as long as you have a reasonable bait in the water, you ALWAYS have a chance no matter how slim.

I have caught hundreds of kings that size from a power boat or from shore but I will say it is likely the most memorable one. Certainly of one that size. I am hooked.