Thread: Valdez STOL article and Kayak Island rescue

Default Valdez STOL article and Kayak Island rescue

This morning the "job" sent out a media email that included a link to the Valdez fly-in.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05...ow-can-you-go/

A few days ago AK Dispatch "Bush Pilot" section had a short article about a rescue from the beach on Kayak Island after an experimental piper ran out of gas and was forced to land.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ane-crash-week

Looking at the photos from each article it looks like the same plane.

To bad he didn't get a video of his last landing!
    Tim

Im not sure about the whole running out of fuel thing. I was in line for the fuel right behind him and seen him fill his wings and then fill at least one other container with fuel in Valdez. Granted I dont know how much fuel he put in his wing tanks or he could have flown around a bunch before the incident but all Im saying is not to jump to conclusions until you hear it from the pilots mouth.

Sorry about the rant but I just get tired of everybody being an expert desk pilot the moment something happens to a real pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Sorry about the rant but I just get tired of everybody being an expert desk pilot the moment something happens to a real pilot.
    "The U.S. Coast Guard sent out a press release Monday that two people had been rescued from Kayak Island, 49 miles southeast of Cordova, after their plane reportedly ran out of gas and suffered a hard landing..."

So the US Coast Guard does not employ real pilots? I had no idea. Makes me wonder whos on the stick of those helo's and C130's they have.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Im not sure about the whole running out of fuel thing. I was in line for the fuel right behind him and seen him fill his wings and then fill at least one other container with fuel in Valdez. Granted I dont know how much fuel he put in his wing tanks or he could have flown around a bunch before the incident but all Im saying is not to jump to conclusions until you hear it from the pilots mouth.

Disconnect in the news. Ed should tell us.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    "The U.S. Coast Guard sent out a press release Monday that two people had been rescued from Kayak Island, 49 miles southeast of Cordova, after their plane reportedly ran out of gas and suffered a hard landing..."

So the US Coast Guard does not employ real pilots? I had no idea. Makes me wonder whos on the stick of those helo's and C130's they have.
    Been to Kodiak's Coast Guard ops? They say: "WE HAVE TO GO OUT - - - WE DON'T HAVE TO COME BACK!"

Tell me about "real" pilots . . . . . . . . .

It might be time to install a Carb Temp gauge in this "highly modified" plane.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ka-plane-crash