Thread: model 98 mauser help needed.

Default model 98 mauser help needed.

I bought a model 98 barreled action with barrel chopped to 22" (well done), reblued, (nice). Here comes the best part... I paid 200 bucks on the recommendation of a 3rd party. I was really pretty well pleased until I had it in hand. As it turns out it is a small ring model 98, the barrel is probably not the original or for some reason it was rethreaded and replaced approximately 20 degrees beyond original based on the position of the dimple in the barrel where the rear sight was originally. The front and rear sights ( probably original) were replaced (nice job). It is 8mm and will chamber an 8 x 57 cartridge. I do not know whether headspace is correct or actually what is chambered for. It will have to be wax cast. Any guesses on what it really is? I would welcome any all comments other than to remind me how stupid I am. Thanks guys. Really now don't be too hard on me . Patch

If you are around Fairbanks, stop in and I'll run a chamber cast and check headspace for you.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks Gunbugs but I only wish I was near Fairbanks again instead of 5,000 miles away.

If you have a legit small ring mauser that thing is worth more than 200 bucks. Here is the list of small ring mauser's out there the Mexican Mausers and the VZ33 and G33/40. G33/40 probably being the most desired small ring out there. The mexican mauser's are good but most of them are missing the bolts and the only way to fix that is to make your own NO other 98 bolts will interchange with the mexican mauser. So with that I will say without seeing pics that it is either VZ33 or 33/40 cause all mexican mauser were in 7x57.

I need to clear things up when I'm talking small ring mauser I'm talking about the 98 cause the 95-96 were samll ring mausers as well.

Thanks 323 for your reply.Here is what I am able to glean from the receiver. On the top front of the receiver ring is stamped 7.9. In the center of the ring isa crown and Erfurt and 1917. On the left side of the receiver is Frt 98 in (gaelic lettering). I'd love to send a picture but I'm from the wrong generationand my kids are not close.

Yep just checked it out on the web gun was made at the Erfurt Arsenal they were the light rifle used by the Cavalry and Mountain Soldiers, they are not as desirable as the VZ33 or the G33/40. Be reagardless you got yourself a little gem thier, with VZ33 and G33/40 being dang near impossible to find more folks are hunting these up. My buddy has a mexican mauser and he trying to find parts to put his bolt together. He doing a fullblown custom on it. Anyhow have fun shooting it

Thanks again 323. Sure sounds like maybe it is good news. The smith work is so well done that now I have hopes that the chamber is good. If that it is, then my mood will improve considerably. i once had a 98 that had been chopped very shabily but by cutting and crowning at 20" and changed bolt angle added a safety and had a real handy rifle. I thought I wanted it reamed to 8mm-06. The smith when trying to remove toe barrel, split the receiver ring. He felt so bad that he gave me a comercial action and installed a 7mm-08 barrel for 100 bucks. Best bad luck I ever had. By the way I had only paid 35 dollars for the dang thing to start with.

VZ33's and G33/40's have been turned into sporters since they were imported by the boatload after the Big One. I almost (note that I said almost) regret sporterizing all of 'em that I've picked up. Even the 1936 Mex that I had still wore the orignal 7X57 barrel, and I suspect that it came through the desert instead of crossing the Rio Grande, as there is absolutely no pitting or evidence of rust or abuse on it anywhere. Not all are as fortunate. The last VZ33 I have is stil an 8X57 with it's original barrel, stock, handguard and metal, but has been drilled and tapped and the bolt handle modified. It is a shooter, and left me with a gaping jaw at how well it shot with that nasty steel cased 196 gr. ComBloc junk. Busts bunnies and Great Hoary Marmots with aplomb, just not something you want to do all day loing! I don't know, though, that I'd trade any of my 1903's or 03A3's to get another one, they're about the same size, parts are available, and good, surplus, boxer primed non-corrosive ammunition available from the CMP for very reasonable.
    Sounds like you got a gem, and should give you a lot of good, enjoyable trigger time!!!

Your Erfurt has a large ring thread and not the small sized thread of the G33/VZ33 but I really do think that makes much difference unless you are going with a high pressure round. I have one with a 257 barrel and it works just fine. The barrel not lining up is most likely the fitting of proper head space. Take a new factory piece of brass and put 2 pieces of masking tape over the head stamp area, trim off any excess and try chambering it. If it has proper headspace, the bolt handle should almost start on the down stroke. Or you can play it safe and take it to a gun smith for the check. Good luck. J.

Here is a good page to look over regarding various Mauser action sizes.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...reference.html
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com