Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW ATV, Rhinos days are numbered

Default NEW ATV, Rhinos days are numbered

A buddy of mine brought these to my attention. These little things are kick A#@. They are half the cost of Rhinos or other of the large ATV's. I dont think they are for everybody, but they sure would come in handy. There are dozens of sites online to visit and theres a bunch on Ebay. Ive seen them with tracks, with winches,snowplows and dumpbeds. Just think, an ATV with heat and A/C. that will still fit in the bed of your pickup. A rednecks dream.
    http://www.atvtruck.com/

Default nifty

I'd have to see one in the back of a truck though. What about a used toyota p/u that is street legal?

Default Little truck

A lot of these trucks have a hydraulic dump bed as well. How many you want and when? They are not only made by KIE, but Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan/UD. They come in 2 & 4 wheel drive models and have a small 600-700 cc motor, never seen one with a motor bigger than a liter. Top speeds on the road(not legal) about 45mph.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I doubt they are going to deepsix the Rhino anytime soon, they don't even list who the engine or transmission is made by, and with such a long wheelbase I wouldn't want to take it out in the bush. Even the Rhino is a bit long IMO, they would be nice on moderate terrain, but they don't look like they would do any real offroading through tussocks and serious mud bogs and all the other stuff you would encounter on an off-road hunt.

Default Steering Wheel

The steering wheel is on the wrong side! I would be driving on the wrong side of the trails!

Default ATV

Not all of them have the steering wheel on the right. The load capacity of the Honda ACTY is 350 Kilos and the entire vehicle only weighs 770 kilos, probably not that much more than a RHINO with a hard cab,heater and creature comforts. It has a 5-6 speed with 4 wheel drive and gets around very well on the deer lease, never seen one in Alaska YET.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

You guys should see the one with tracks. I saw one on ebay plowing through the swamp in florida. I think tussaks would be rough on them and you sure wouldnt break trail with them, but they sure would be handy on established trails.

Default Looks like fun........down south

Looks like it could be fun, I don't think it'll replace any of our ATVs anytime soon. Everyone in here has stuck a wheeler.......at least once lol. Let me know how easy it is to get that 1400 lb "atv" out of the tundra.

Default I want one of the motors!

I sure can't get "50-60" MPG out of my 700 Prairie!
    I do think the wheelbase would hurt you on a lot of trails, but you don't go run different trails every weekend might not bother you!
    It would make for warmer "rescues" out at Knik Glacier in December though.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Interesting. They would have to become a lot more common before I'd consider buying one. Parts availability is probably a nightmare.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    .....What about a used toyota p/u that is street legal?
    A toyota type truck, even lightened, will bust the 1,500 lb maximum atv weight that ADFG and the Board is implementing in the state.

.....Kei trucks are approx 10' 4" long and 4' 6" wide and 5' 10" tall. They weigh about 1400 lbs......

.....Reasonably speaking I can sell you a 1992 to 2004, 660cc, 4x4 Japanese Mini Truck for about $4,500 to 4,900 just off the boat.......
    It sounds like somebody is importing these things used from overseas and still making a profit.

Interesting...............

Also, it looks like installing larger tires/wheels would require a body lift.

I got a chance to check out two of them at a local show recently......pretty cool to say the least. the suspension is leaf in the rear and coil in the front it looks very easy to do a suspension lift on one. I saw a stock one and one set up for the fire dept that had 27" 589's and ac/heated cab.....pretty slick the hyd dump bed appears to be plenty stout to dump way more then you would want to haul.

the down side is that they are used rigs so you never totally know what you are getting. they said they were all inspected and ready for sale, but my ready for sale and their ready for sale might be different. the price to value on all atv type rigs has been way over in my opinion, and these actually start to bridge the gap. you get the comforts of your full size truck in a little package.

Default KEI trucks

I've seen these small trucks wit over 80,000 kilometers on them. That's far more than any ATV will ever see. Those were however road miles. The ones we import have less than 35,000 kilometers. The standard 22x8x12 589 will fit on an unmodified truck. The 25-28" tires can be made to fit. There a number of companies that are offering 3" lift kits at present, these allow the taller tires.The trucks have lots of optional equipment just like cars. ALL come with a am/fm radio, and heater. Some come with Automatic Trans., Power Steering, Air Conditioning, hydraulic dump bed, let down side bed panels.
    There are some subtle differences; Hydatsu Hijet trucks have the motor at the back of the cab( to service raise the seats or remove the panel in the bed behind cab), Hondas have the motor at the front of the bed and a service cover on the front of the bed, the Suzuki has the motor just in front of the rear axle and has a service cover in the rear of the bed.
    The Mitsubishi has 3 levers to make it go just like a military Jeep. The Hydatsu has all time 4-wheel and an electric shift for low range.
    The trucks weight varies with options. I'm not sure one with a hydraulic dump would be less than 1500 lbs.
    But these little trucks have 660cc motors rated at 45-60 hp and get 55-70 mpg on the road.
    All the trucks we've received have been excellent performers and have had no problems.
    AND no we don't have them in AK. ,YET !!! BUT SOON !!!

Still waiting too.

Default Trail Groomer?

Can you put a set of 4-wheeler tracts on them? Wil they start, run well and can you stay warm and comforable at 20 below? and all wheel drive and low speed trans. And would it pull a 375 lb. snow grommer?

From what Ive seen,,,yes. Ive seen them on tracks and they will run like any other truck with synthetic oil at -20.

Default WHere???????

So where do I go to take a test ride and make a deal.

Last one I saw was on Ebay. I should have kept the address.

I just checked Ebay, nothing listed. I saw them a couple of weeks ago. Maybe somebody else can help you out with this. Ill keep digging. They did look kick **** though.

Default Tracks,,,,,again

You know, if you think about it why not? Like it was said previously. 589's on ATV rims will fit. It would make me think it would be a simple case of finding what rims fit and then just get the tracks for that make of ATV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast