Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What roe for Kings works best

Default What roe for Kings works best

I will be heading down to the Kenai Peninsula at the end of the month and would like to pick the minds of the many informed on here as to which pre made Roe works good to better then others for Kings?

I don't use eggs but be very careful were you use them, not every place on the KP allows the use of eggs. If you want some eggs that work my suggestion is ask people on here if they have any to sell or maybe trade. most that crap you by in walmart of where ever couldn't catch a cold!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

By regulation,the Kenai is closed for bait fishing until July 1st.However,last June after ADFG closed the river entirely,it was re-opened and bait was authorized to use.Go figure......Keep an eye out for EO's (emergency orders) on ADFG website.It can change by the hour.....

I agree with the prepackaged stuff from Freddies & Walmart. It's garbage. I think it's the procure stuff. Although I never used it seems like the Alaska Bait Co. eggs that come in the clear containers at least look fishable.

I would go without bait and when you catch a hen keep the eggs and cure them yourself.

Best eggs to cure for catching kings come from kings.

Next best bait egg comes from chums.... very versatile egg that is easily dyed any color and produces a very visually pleasing bait.

Coho and pinks are next down the line and yield very similar results for me.

Worst egg for a cured bait comes from sockeye. I reserve these strictly for fresh uncured applications.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I agree Kings and chums are the best (to cure and use); steelhead are'nt that bad too.

I routinely fish king and silver eggs in the summer side-by-side that I put up in the previous fall in our WA salmon fishery where we fish both species at the same time. As long as they are cured well and changed frequently, I can't say I see a diff. in results Have about 150 lbs in the freezer in the bed of the pick-up to add to what I stored last July / August for a nice start for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    I will be heading down to the Kenai Peninsula at the end of the month and would like to pick the minds of the many informed on here as to which pre made Roe works good to better then others for Kings?
    I do not live in Alaska - born and raised in Washington State, born and raised a river salmon fishermen, fished and cured a ton of bait. Born and raised a bait fishermen!

Rented a motor home last year and cruised MatSu valley with the fam-damily. I did not have time or sources to cure eggs to bring with me, nor did I know anyone up there to get eggs from.

My nephew works and lives in Anchorage, and a few years ago he brought me to a store called B & J Sporting Goods (Corner of Northern Lights and C street). I called them from where I live (Montana) before my motor home trip last year, the guy there told me about Nate's Bait King Eggs, he said they were the BEST.

Well... you know, everyone has the BEST eggs! I bought 3 tubs and my nephew put them in his freezer until I arrived in Anchorage. We got the motor home and proceeded to camp at various sites on the MatSu, Sheep, Sunshine, etc. for Silvers in mid August.

I like to get up and be on the river at sun-up, there is almost always a killer egg bite for at least a half an hour to an hour after first light. Let me tell you, the Nate's Bait King Eggs KICKED ASS. There were guys fishing below me with bait and I was getting bites 2 to their 1 up river from them. I was totally impressed with Nate's Bait King Eggs from B & J Sporting Goods!

Rock on... I love fishing eggs, something about that first little nibble... then chomp, chomp-chomp... then YEE HA - FISH ON!!!

Try Nates!

I haven't targeted kings up here much in my short tenure. I look forward to it more and more often. I will say I just mass cure my sockeye eggs quick and dirty and have had great success with them on silvers.

I hear all the bad news with them on King's so I usually look for something else. Probably will try some of the recommendations here.

Have the folks coming up in a few weeks and looking forward to a day on the Kasilof with Bob's group (PP) ... I look forward to burning through some of that bait.

any eggs + borax + raspberry jello

what fish can resist raspberry jello??
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

you boys and yer eggs

this is like Ford v Chevy

or Husky v Stihl

rhd- what flavor cure were you using?

wat time is sun-up in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by 1875XA View Post
    rhd- what flavor cure were you using?
    They were king eggs with:

https://natesbaitfishingproducts.com...herry-egg-cure

Ya Buddy...been doing the same for 20 years and they work everytime...

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Best eggs to cure for catching kings come from kings.

Next best bait egg comes from chums.... very versatile egg that is easily dyed any color and produces a very visually pleasing bait.

Coho and pinks are next down the line and yield very similar results for me.

Worst egg for a cured bait comes from sockeye. I reserve these strictly for fresh uncured applications.
    Couldn't disaggree more... Often coho and steelhead eggs work bettern then kings eggs, really depends on the maturity of the eggs and how they are cured and taken care off.. The amount of time and how they have been frozen can often affect how well they work too. I would gamble that if you took some "mature" sockeye eggs like the late early run reds in the upper that are caught in mid and late July they would catch just as many kings and kings eggs.

Fishing eggs and cure is like religion, everyone disagrees. I fish with eggs from fish I have caught or that my Dad catches. Usually that means in the spring I have silver eggs to get started king fishing and in the fall I have king eggs to get started sliver fishing. I have at times used Red eggs that I got when dip netting reds and they usually suck. They are not properly taken care of and I only use them to catch a couple hens to get me started.

How the roe is cured and how the eggs are handled from the minute the fish dies until they are on your hook plays a huge part in your success. I did not think this way until I tried some advice from an old Kenai River guide and when I did like he said I started catching lots more fish, to a point of being embarrassed sometimes. When no one else is catching fish (like 50 people in view) and you hook up every cast its kind of hard to not be noticed. Bleed the fish, get the eggs out and get them on ice, wear rubber gloves when you touch the eggs. Have dedicated equipment (sissors, jars, buckets, etc) and use the right cure.... works every time.

And to answer the original posters question, I have never used store purchased eggs. If I don't have eggs I make due till I can round some up. Quite often you can get some eggs by hanging out at the fish cleaning table... hey you going to throw those eggs out... can I have them? I have also been known to give the rest of my eggs away at the end of a day of fishing or when I catch my limit.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    How the roe is cured and how the eggs are handled from the minute the fish dies until they are on your hook plays a huge part in your success.
    JR2 - What is your favorite cure recipe?

Default Which sallmon has the best eggs

I have had great success using sockeye eggs on the Ayakulik River bank fising for Kings using a simple sugar and salt cure. I don't think if matters what type of egg provided they are fresh and cured up well.

Pautzkees fire orange cure worked well for me last year, held color good too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast