Thread: Smoking Racks

Default Smoking Racks

I am looking to build myself a smoker this year and was wondering where to find cheap/free stainless steel racks? Obviously I watch the transfer stations, but other/better locations?

Check the dump, lots there as of two weeks ago. I grabbed two on my way out, they were free.
    BK

whatever you do... DO NOT use racks out of refrigerators, a family friend poisoned himself and almost died. In the 4 days he was in the hospital while they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him, he was in a coma for 2 days because of "heavy metal poisoning".
    the issue comes from some of the companies but not others and you can never know which are safe. the cemicals are used to prevent bacteria molds and rust from forming on the racks and are released with heat and/or react with the smoke and then soak into meats, veggies and fruit when they are in contact with the racks. I hope you have luck finding something and that your project turns out well. good luck and i hope this info helped.

bklausman,
    Good post, didn't realize this. Glad you spoke up. Soooo, oven racks it is!
    BK

What about chicken wire stretched across 2x2 frames to fit??? I did this and the racks stack nice to air dry then fit right in the smoker.

George

As long as it is not galvanized, I think it would work great.
    I had a hard time finding anything that was NOT coated when I made my smoker. If you have a supplier that has UNcoated wire, I'd be interested in getting a roll myself.
    BK

I used expanded metal from alaska steel, $45/sheet 4'x8'. Cut to length and nailed onto 2x2 frames.

a few years back I built a smoker.. knowing that fridge racks were poisonous, and unable to find any oven racks I made a couple frames out of 2x2's and with 1" spacing used 1/4" dowels.. We had a little hill in the back yard.. At the top we placed the smoker, Down below it 5 or 6 ft, we put in an old Korean War tent stove, run the stove pipe up and under, and came out in the center of the smoker.. using a statinless hub cap for a deflector.... we had us a smoker... With an ample supply of Alders out back, we smoked a lot of salmon in that smoker... the kids used to catch and keep a lot of pinks, we'd smoke them and can them up in the 1/2 lb flats and send them to my Dad in Calif.. He thought they were great, til he happened to visit one year and the kids slipped up and fed him some of our smoked reds... (: >))

Wooden dowls....never thought of that. That might work really slick! Thanks.

i found this and thought you would like it:
    http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...mokehouse.html