Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Point Calcutta King Derby 5-14-2011

Charterboat Operator

Default Anchor Point Calcutta King Derby 5-14-2011

Just in case anyone is interested, the annual (22nd, I think) Calcutta king salmon derby is this saturday.
    Registration can be done between 5-7 PM at the Anchor Rver Inn, and is only $20.00 per boat!
    calcutta 7-9 pm, 12 hour derby, lines in at 6am, biggest king wins!
    really cool part is 50% of the derby moneys goes to the South Penninsula Sportsmans Assoc. to fun there KID days!
    usually a great time, and does benifit a really good cause, and more than pays for gas too! providing you are the lucky one.

tight lines
    Pole Bender

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

POLE BENDER Are you saying registration is the night before at the Inn ? And calcutta 7-9 pm---what's that ? I like to support anything that benefits kids . What have been some historical results ? Got a link handy ?
    Thanks for the heads up.....

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    POLE BENDER Are you saying registration is the night before at the Inn ? And calcutta 7-9 pm---what's that ? I like to support anything that benefits kids . What have been some historical results ? Got a link handy ?
    Thanks for the heads up.....
    Mark, this is not a huge derby and the advertising is, well pretty weak, usual 20 to 40 boats, many of which are skiffs, decisions have been made to cancel the derby due to the smaller boats, but usually goes off without a hitch.
    there unfortunatly is NO web site. i will try and scan and post the entry form today. the registration is 5 to 7 pm at the Inn, and then a calcutta auction after words, every boat entered gets a calcutta number and all have an oportunity to bid on the boat, some boats go for as little as 50-100 bucks, some as high as 6-700, with the avarage bieng around 2-300. you do not have to buy your own boat.
    if i remember right 50% of the total puse goes to the SPSA, 10% fisherman.40% calcutta winner.
    lots of friendly people, fishing for a duel purpose, and having fun, cant beat it.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Mark, this is not a huge derby and the advertising is, well pretty weak, usual 20 to 40 boats, many of which are skiffs, decisions have been made to cancel the derby due to the smaller boats, but usually goes off without a hitch.
    there unfortunatly is NO web site. i will try and scan and post the entry form today. the registration is 5 to 7 pm at the Inn, and then a calcutta auction after words, every boat entered gets a calcutta number and all have an oportunity to bid on the boat, some boats go for as little as 50-100 bucks, some as high as 6-700, with the avarage bieng around 2-300. you do not have to buy your own boat.
    if i remember right 50% of the total puse goes to the SPSA, 10% fisherman.40% calcutta winner.
    lots of friendly people, fishing for a duel purpose, and having fun, cant beat it.
    Dont have all the historical results, i can personally attest there have been a few over 50 lbs !
    have even seen fish in the upper 20lb class win.

POLEBENDER et al, just to clarify, this is the 17th annual.
    Purse= sportman assotiation gets 25%, fisherman gets 25% and whoever bought the boat gets 50%.
    So, if you buy your own boat and catch THE biggest fish you get 75%
    A fun time for sure see you there greg.

About the derby, I also wanted to mention if looking for a charter PoleBender would be my choice. I remember HIS boat won one year.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    About the derby, I also wanted to mention if looking for a charter PoleBender would be my choice. I remember HIS boat won one year.
    uuuhhhmmmmmm. that would be TWO my friend!!!!

long live the worm!!

Hmmmm....can someone register your boat for you? Making it down on Friday might be a bit tough. At least I'd feel I could buy my own boat fairly cheap! Since it will only be fishing one rod...and is 9 ft long. lol.

My interest is there also.Living in Soldotna,I could go down Friday nite to register but would rather register Saturday morning.Is that an option ? If so---great. If not---what Rudy said. Or are there other ways to at least get registered if not betting on boats.......Details please....

i FISH THE DERBY EVERY YEAR. tHEY ALWAYS SEND ME A REGISTRATION FORM. hERE'S WHAT IT SAYS.

wE MUST RECEIVE THE PAID ($20.00 PER BOAT) REGISTRATION FORM BY MAY 10TH OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE TO BRING THE FORM TO THE AUCTION IN PERSON FRIDAY NIGHT AT ANCHOR RIVER INN.

OK, YOU MIGHT CALL THE GUY IN CHARGE MERYL WOLFORD AT 235-7427 HOPE THIS HELPS

Too late for me to be a part of this this year. Next year I'm definitely in.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    wE MUST RECEIVE THE PAID ($20.00 PER BOAT) REGISTRATION FORM BY MAY 10TH OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE TO BRING THE FORM TO THE AUCTION IN PERSON FRIDAY NIGHT AT ANCHOR RIVER INN.
    Well that is a MAJOR BUMMER...for the people who expect any work for me on Friday! Haha...

Guess I'll be taking at least half of Friday off if the weather forecast is even close to being acceptable.

I just called but was refered to the president of the association-------waiting for him to return my call @ 5:45 pm.Will let you know if we can register by phone /cc or if we have to be there on Fridady nite.

Here is the skinny-
    No registration by phone.All boat bets have to be in person --to be done Friday nite at the Anchor River Inn.Boaters do not have to launch at Deep Creek you can use other launches.

Mark, are you saying you were told the derby was at deep Creek? The launch at Anchor point is generally used. You may launch at deep Creek or homer but the derby line is Diamond Creek north to stariski Point

I stand corrected.I was told I could pay early Sat morning at the "tractor launch". I forgot there is one at the Anchor mouth.My Bad.... and thanks for the clarification....

Charterboat Operator

wow! good investigation Mark, Roland thanks for the assist! dug all around last night and could not find the entry form.

As i did mention earlier, it is not the most sophisticated, organized derby around, but a great way to have a little FRIENDLY competition early in the season.
    I will try, mention this thing a little earlier next year, and attach an entry form. Was figuring they could use all the advertising they could get, and the cool part is, it helps the Kids, as the association sponsers a lot of fun activities that all are welcome to.
    Kardinal- if I see you out there i will deliver a hot cup of coffee!!
    tight lines
    PB

Default Friday nite reservation

For those that will be fishing this derby/tournament from afar you might want to get a room at the Anchor River Inn.They are still charging winter rates and are very reasonable.I did and I don't live that far away--just don't want/need to get up before the chickens stir.Here is a link http://www.anchorriverinn.com/ .
    Better get em while their hot and available.
    See ya there

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    wow! good investigation Mark, Roland thanks for the assist! dug all around last night and could not find the entry form.

As i did mention earlier, it is not the most sophisticated, organized derby around, but a great way to have a little FRIENDLY competition early in the season.
    I will try, mention this thing a little earlier next year, and attach an entry form. Was figuring they could use all the advertising they could get, and the cool part is, it helps the Kids, as the association sponsers a lot of fun activities that all are welcome to.
    Kardinal- if I see you out there i will deliver a hot cup of coffee!!
    tight lines
    PB
    Pole Bender...I'd appreciate a hot cup of coffee I am sure! Hey now...wait a minute...you aren't going to bring like a full thermos to get me off the water are ya?? That's dirty...liquid management (intake and especially outflow) is toughest thing about kayak fishing!

Just kidding!!!! I would pay a PREMIUM for a warm cup of 'jo I am sure. I'd very much appreciate just meeting ya!!!!!!

Hope the weather holds and the fishing is good! Hope to see everyone on the water!!!

Registration Anchor Point King Derby

I saw in some other posts that a few guys want to fish this derby but did not want to come down Friday night to register. I ran into Stan Harrington (one of the organizers) this morning and he said to call him at the Anchor River Inn 907-235-8531 Friday between 5PM to 7PM and you can register by phone and then pay your fee Sat morning. Hope this helps for anyone that did not want to come down early. Good Luck. Dan
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast