Thread: Techniques for Kings?

Default Techniques for Kings?

I have caught my fair share of silvers and pinks in freshwater but I'll be trying for my first king on a fly this year. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on what works weel in shallow saltwater and freshwater or if it's all just trial and error? Specifically I am curious about strip speeds: slow vs. fast? Fly presentation: bouncing off the bottom or closer to the surface? I suspect it's a little bit of everything but I figured I would ask anyway. Also, have you seen any improvement in catches by adding a spinner blade to the hook on a fly?

SemperFi,
    There is an excellent article in Fish Alaska this month on catching kings on flies... and written by one of the Kenai's top guides. As far as additional advice, all I can say is pay close attention to the methods gear fisherman use... back trolling/bottom bouncing is productive so a slower strip speed would probably be more effective; dead drift or swing your presentation depending on the pattern fished. Kings are generally hunkered near the bottom, taking refuge in deeper water and waiting to make their next push, though you might find them closer to the surface fishing estuarine waters on an incoming tide. Cant say I've ever fished a spinner blade on a fly before but it could work! If corkies, spin n glos, and yarn produce then why not?!!
    Good luck and tight lines! (and a tight grip on yo rod when the bite does happen!)

Lotta guys get real hung up on their sink tip lines, even raging that they're the only way to catch kings. But watch what happens when conventional tackle anglers fish. Most of their catches are on dead drifts or back trolling. If at all possible depth and current-wise, I use a floating line and leaders up to 10' along with weighted flies, mending and careful line management like dead drifting nymphs for trout in deep water and controlled swings at the bottom of drifts. Sink tips are a very last resort for me if I simply can't reach bottom with the floating line and weighted flies. It's just a booger to keep a dead drift going with all that sinking line whipping around in the current beneath the surface. Like I said, think deep nymphing for trout if you can get the fly in front of them doing that, and fly pattern is a lot less important than most think- especially when you consider the effectiveness of corkies and such on conventional tackle.

Is a 10 weight enough stick for a Little Su King?

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post
    Is a 10 weight enough stick for a Little Su King?

Single-Handed Rod:
    10 weight to 12 weight rods recommended.

Reels: durable reels with a strong disc type drag and a large spool capacity of at least 200 yards of 30 pound backing.

Line: 300 to 500 grain, fast to extra fast shooting heads, and sink tips ( T-11 or T-15 ) of 10 to 25 feet are all very common. Versatility is important. An interchangeable shooting head system is a good way to address varied water conditions.

Leaders: Leaders should be abrasion-resistant monofilament of 15 to 20 pound strength

more info : http://www.deneki.com/2009/01/king-rig-roundup/
    This land is your land, this land is my land

I agree with minimizing your sink tip use unless you are swinging big runs on big rivers. If you can find fish that haven't seen a lot of pressure in freshwater I've found the best way to catch them is dead drifting small presentations right in front of them. You may find the odd aggressive fish that feels like going out of its way to hit something but I've had good luck with small marabou jigs fished under an indicator with a floating line. The jig head gets you down quick and the marabou gives it that little flash that kings like. It can be quite a kick seeing a 40-50 lbs fish taking an indicator down, disappears pretty quick compared to a 18" trout take. This setup isn't for all water types but in slow to moderate current with fish that are holding in typical pools in can be a very effective method.

Thanks for the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post
    SemperFi,
    There is an excellent article in Fish Alaska this month on catching kings on flies... and written by one of the Kenai's top guides. As far as additional advice, all I can say is pay close attention to the methods gear fisherman use... back trolling/bottom bouncing is productive so a slower strip speed would probably be more effective; dead drift or swing your presentation depending on the pattern fished. Kings are generally hunkered near the bottom, taking refuge in deeper water and waiting to make their next push, though you might find them closer to the surface fishing estuarine waters on an incoming tide. Cant say I've ever fished a spinner blade on a fly before but it could work! If corkies, spin n glos, and yarn produce then why not?!!
    Good luck and tight lines! (and a tight grip on yo rod when the bite does happen!)
    Hey I forgot to respond to you about the spinner blades. The guy that taught me how to fly fish shared his secret with me. All we did was attach a small (00 or 0 sized) to the elbow of the hook with a swivel. Use a bead glued into place to keep it all from coming off the hook. It worked like a charm on a clouser minnow in murky water. I used it for silvers in one of my favorite spots with crappy visibility and they tore that setup up.

SemperFi, i too seem to be chasing your target. I have 12 ft of t14 on a swing and still need deeper... I attached a small weight to the loop to loop in the sinking tip ti leader and whalla, the bottom without casting problems or snagging problems with the articulated variety on the swing...But, I have yet to catch that king salmon. maybe I need a prop!