Thread: New jigging setup

Default New jigging setup

Here is a follow up from my other thread super light jigging setup. Rather than updating that thread, I decided to make a new one.

Well anyways the rod and reel are finally in my hands! I ordered a 5'3" Jigging Master Power Spell 150g rod, and a 5.3:1 avet sx single speed reel. This rod is extremely balanced, lightweight and well made! Although that is why I bought it, I was still really surprised by it. The avet sx seems to be a little power house of a reel. Small, light and compact, but with a surprising amount of drag for its size. I think I have a winner of a combo here, for an ultralight yet capable jigging setup.

Here are some pictures:

I also purchases some purple 150g river2sea sea rock jigs and a few sets of owner sabiki 7/0 assist hooks. I believe the lings will love this combo. Can't wait to hit the water now!

Some more pictures:

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

How many pounds of drag can that Avet put out ?Nice looking set-up---go get em'

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    How many pounds of drag can that Avet put out ?Nice looking set-up---go get em'
    14 lbs of drag at full, more than enough for my needs. There are reels that will do a fair bit more in this size range (avet sx raptor, jigging master pe3, accurate, etc.) but they are considerably more money. This reel should be pretty good for how cheap it is.

Nice looking setup. It is sweet how it matches your linoleum, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    Some more pictures:

Very nice set up, Your gonna love that reel. May I ask where you got those stinger hooks? I'd love to pick some up.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Very nice set up, Your gonna love that reel. May I ask where you got those stinger hooks? I'd love to pick some up.
    Thanks! I purchased the stinger hooks from charkbait.com, along with the reel and sea rock jigs.

Nice setup! I got my wife a Shimano Trevala two piece and put an avet sx on it. It's an amazingly light setup, perfectly balanced, yet it feels fine with jigs up to 300gr. I like it so much I'll be getting a trevala for myself and putting an avet JX on it.

What type of line did you spool the reel with? I got 1800m of Daiwa PE-4 55# braid and am using it on 4 sx's, and the jx. I can't wait to get the boat out and do some fishing!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    Thanks! I purchased the stinger hooks from charkbait.com, along with the reel and sea rock jigs.
    I was hoping Local. Will check out the site. Thank You!

B&J in Anchorage has a pretty good supply of stinger hooks, and various jigs.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    B&J in Anchorage has a pretty good supply of stinger hooks, and various jigs.
    Yeah, I haven't made my annual shopping spree there yet. I missed the Sportsman Show and their deals also. I'll be putting money in their till very soon. I love that store, better yet, I love their Staff and Knowledge they share!

Nice setup! I got my wife a Shimano Trevala two piece and put an avet sx on it. It's an amazingly light setup, perfectly balanced, yet it feels fine with jigs up to 300gr. I like it so much I'll be getting a trevala for myself and putting an avet JX on it.

What type of line did you spool the reel with? I got 1800m of Daiwa PE-4 55# braid and am using it on 4 sx's, and the jx. I can't wait to get the boat out and do some fishing!
    I love my medium weight trevala one piece with my avet sx two speed. I haven't caught a large halibut with it but it sure worked well for the 27# king I caught last weekend out of deep creek. The action is great. Easy to jig for a long time, especially with the butterfly style jigs. 50 pound power pro on mine. I didn't catch one the time I used it bottom bouncing ten oz sinkers in the Kenai River. Other than it being a touch short for that application, it worked great. So now its my primary saltwater and Kenai River rod.

The 5'3" Jigging Master Power Spell 150g rod in the initial post looks very interesting.

Thanks! The trevala's are a nice west coast jigging rod. I have a 1 piece 5'8" xh (or xxh, can't remember now) trevala. Those are pretty light rods, but definitely overrated on the power by shimano. I currently have a pfleuger contender lever drag reel on that rod, but thinking about changing that out to an avet mx or maybe something a little bigger. That rod is my more heavy duty rod, but its still nice and light! This one is loaded with 50lb braid.

The sx is spooled with 30lb cortland braid, nice and light so I can sink small jigs down to the bottom without much resistance. Should be plenty strong enough as I am mainly planning on targeting lings and rockcod with this setup. Going to put a 10-15' 25-30#lb mono leader on it for added abrasion resistance.

Be nice to get out on the water to test it out, I can't wait!

I also wouldn't mind trying jigging for salmon this summer/fall with this rod, might have to give that a shot!

I just bought 3 Trevala "F" series (TC4) and rigged them with Avet SX 6/4 2 speeds. Got 'em at B&J's. I like the store, and the sales staff (Tom) is great. They feel nice. I'm sure they'll fish great. I'll be breaking them in all next week.

I've got both the extra heavy and extra extra heavy trevela's, the extra heavy feels good to about a 12 oz jig, the extra extra feels good all the way to a 24 oz jig.