Thread: obstructing landing areas??

Default obstructing landing areas??

is it legal to pull brush and logs onto landing areas (gravel bars and such) on state land? some parties are doing that in an area i've been, trying to keep other people from accessing the area, was curious if this was a legal practice? or just old school....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

If it is a gravel bar, ridge, or something like that I would think that its legal. If it was a maintained airport than it is illegal and should be reported.
    I guess I am just to lazy to pull logs out and instead rely on me not telling a lot of people where the areas are.

I just tried to find the info regarding the intentionally blocking of a traditionally used bush landing strip. I could not find it tonight.

There are several places where folks have been landing for years that are kept trimmed by use and by those who use them. Some are in Parks or other gov't controlled lands where the outsiders they hire would love nothing better than to shut them down. If they fall out of use, they will be...

This question has come up over the last few years more and more. In the past, good manners alone would have kept most Alaskan pilots from even thinking about such antics. Although it did occur very rarely with some rather territorial guides who had spent too much time in the paint locker.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

ha ha Old school was nailing a bunch of foam rubber chunks down...They do look a lot like old rocks.
    A long time guide killed himself doing it...hit a log he himself put on the dirty strip. Legal? I suppose so.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I don't know what defines "public use airport" in the eyes of the State but here's the statute regarding runway obstruction.

AS 02.20.050. Obstructing Airports and Runways.

(a) A person may not place an object on the surface of a public use airport that because of its nature or location might cause injury or damage to an aircraft or person riding in the aircraft.
    (b) A person may not dig a hole or make any kind of excavation, or drive a sled, tractor, truck, or any kind of vehicle upon the surface of a public use airport that might make ruts, or tracks, or add to an accumulation of tracks so as to cause sufficient roughness of the surface to endanger aircraft using the airport.
    (c) All acts prohibited in (a) and (b) of this section also apply in their entirety to a temporary airport or runway that has been marked out on the frozen surface of a stream or lake for the use of aircraft.
    (d) Unless closed for public safety reasons by a notice to airmen (NOTAM) provided to the Federal Aviation Administration or by publication in the appropriate aeronautical charts and publications published by the Federal Aviation Administration, unless closed or restricted under the authority provided in AS 16.05.050 , 16.05.251, 16.05.255, 16.05.270, AS 16.20.010 - 16.20.162, or 16.20.500 - 16.20.690, or unless closed or restricted under authority consistent with AS 38.04.200 or AS 41.21.020 (e), navigable water in the state or a suitable landing site on public land that is not subject to a surface lease, easement, or permit issued by the Department of Natural Resources is presumed open for operation of aircraft.

Mr. Pid does it again! You guys should listen closely when he offers something here . . . . .

not sure what public use airport means as well. i'm mostly running into gravel bars on river systems that have been covered with logs and rocks to keep folks from landing....trying to figure out the ramifications of someone doing that.
    Master guide 212

Call the troopers and ask them. If somebody is purposely sabotaging an area traditionally used by aircraft and the action presents a threat to safety they may help you. There's no harm in asking.

i'll give them a buzz (pilot pun...buzz get it?!...nevermind.. ) its not a traditional use are for planes or a known runway..i think the point of covering them up is so they don't become runways!
    Master guide 212

Have experience with this very thing. Some other guides were attempting to "obstruct access" to a strip we used.

Its really hard to prove anything. Get them saying they did it or you are probably SOL. Let us know how it comes out, please. Definitely report it. If they are guides, let the "complaint" department at game board have it too. That worked well for us. Someone will get hurt one day because of BS like this.

What's the saying? "you reap what you sew"?
    They will get theirs in the end. Just sucks that people have to be A-holes.

Heard of this once before. Some guides put barrels on the ends of the runway. Heard the state went out in a helicopter and removed them then billed the guides for the cost. Probably hard to prove in this day and age.

Years ago, when I was law dawging we had a case where some yahoo dug a ditch across a well used ATV/snowmachine trail. Of course the next kid who drove through there one night was seriously hurt. We eventually found the guy and charged him with assault 2.
    (a) A person commits the crime of assault in the second degree if
    (2) that person recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person; or
    Of course the DA took a lessor, but the guy still went to jail for a couple months and had to pay lots of hospital bills.

If some bone head did something that caused a plane wreck with injuries... a creative Trooper and good DA could try

AS 11.41.200. Assault in the First Degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of assault in the first degree if (1) that person recklessly causes serious physical injury to another by means of a dangerous instrument; (2) with intent to cause serious physical injury to another, the person causes serious physical injury to any person; (3) the person knowingly engages in conduct that results in serious physical injury to another under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; or (4) that person recklessly causes serious physical injury to another by repeated assaults using a dangerous instrument, even if each assault individually does not cause serious physical injury. (b) Assault in the first degree is a class A felony.But creative troopers and good DAs are hard to find these days.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

It could also be locals just not wanting anyone on their river. There has been lots of bad blood on most of the rivers north of the alaska range or so it seem from reading here. Blocking landing areas would hurt the guides also unless they operate from boats. BRWNBR what rivers are they doing this?

i'd rather not say where or any names, nothing has happened yet to cause a conflict but i foresee it coming. its not guides and i did ask the troopers about it. he said that anyone can drag junk on a gravel bar, but if what they are doing is impeading legal hunting practice thats where it becomes a problem...
    Master guide 212

Old school...land your cub in a spot you have pioneered, pick rocks, move snags, clear brush, put up one tiny piece of fluorescent tape for a wind-sock and claim it as your airstrip...when you notice other planes are using it, you go pioneer another bush strip.
    New school...fly around looking for tire marks and tiny pieces of fluorescent tape wind-socks, land and claim it as yours and tell all your friends about the neat bush strip you have found...then decide there is way too much activity and try blocking it off, then go looking for more tiny fluorescent tape wind-socks.

HAHAHAHA!

THAT'S FUNNY.

BUT unfortunately its pretty true. So sad too.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'd rather not say where or any names, nothing has happened yet to cause a conflict but i foresee it coming. its not guides and i did ask the troopers about it. he said that anyone can drag junk on a gravel bar, but if what they are doing is impeading legal hunting practice thats where it becomes a problem...
    Hey, BRWNBR, does this .450 Fuller let you know I'm serious . . . . . ?

serious about what?
    Master guide 212

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

It is illigal to put anything on a marked strip. If you go out and mark a strip with a few pices of tape it becomes a temparary runway and nobody can restrict it with debree of any kind unless it is on your property..
    But it is so hard to prove unless you have a video they won't do anything about it.( or someone die's ). I have a great runway in winter on the lake where my cabin is. its all marked out and has been there every year for about 10 years. It takes me alot of time and gas to make it. I have had people on snow machines watch me for hours packing and grooming the strip then when i go up to my cabin for awhile i will come back and there is ten to two foot deep snowmachine tracks accross the strip.
    Any way it sure was fun on bushwheels this spring