Thread: Bear charge near Soldotna

Default Bear charge near Soldotna

Today's Clarion has a story about a 650 to 725lb 20 year old brown charging two hunters. While going to check their bait station the two hunters were charged by the bear, he had made a bed close to their station. They shot him with a .270 and 30-350 5 or 6 times at about 20 yards. The bears teeth were really worn and his stomach contents were from the bait station and also corn, pieces of black garbage bag and other stuff from someone's trash. The hunters said that if they had had their rifles slung on their shoulder they would be history. They had them at the ready since they were hoping to see a blackie at the bait. Lucky guys.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Default Bears

With all the bear sightings in the area I have decided to bring my 375 with me at the end of the month. My buddy sent me a pic the other day of a grizz in his yard in Sterling and this is where we will be spending a good deal of time fishing the river over a 2 week period.

Doug

Default .375

A .375 makes a lot more sense to me than a .270. There's no such thing as overkill. There's still biting and dead. Make mine a .375.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Default Bear

You can't be to careful or too overgunned

Some may argue that the chances of being charged are very remote and rarely happen, as for me it is not worth the risk as I want to be around for another hunting season

As for the 375, it is my favorite round.

Doug

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...05new001.shtml

Story said it was one of the biggest recorded on the K Pen.

Default calibers?

We usually both carry 12 gauges w/ slugs into the bait, but we had just come from looking for black bears in the cooper landing area and had those rifles with us. Luckily it was enough gun. My buddy talked to the Sellinger yesterday and he said the skull green scored 29.25 and that it probably weighed closer to 900. I wish all the parties involved could have come out of this incident alive. An old monarch like that deserved better.

Default Bear

Hey Chuck,,, was that on one of you & matts stations?
    <*)))><

Default fishgirl

Yeah the one closest to the powerline. Good thing you didn,t take me up on my offer, you mighta thought I was trying to get rid of some competition on the river.

Glad you came out OK.

What did the hide square?

Default What did the boys in "Blue" say?

Were they nice or are they suspecting you? Just wondering....sometimes they try to find ways to write tickets..most are good, but some are not so good in these situations...if this happened to me, I would just give them my soiled drawls (shorts) as evidence...LOL.

Default Chuck...

Wow, guess so, lucky me, could have ended up in some "scat" later ! :-) Since you live close to there, and I used too, yikes! Im sure my "river" competition will be limited this year, since I am up in the "valleeyyyyy"... Who knows, I may just show up sometime and catch all the fish! (at least the big ones!) hahahahaha smile...
    Glad you guys are ok.
    <*)))><