Thread: Time for a trip to the Denali.

Default Time for a trip to the Denali.

I'm planning on taking a trip to the Denali HWY soon for some spring lake trout fishing. I've never been anywhere other than Tangle lakes. I was thinking about hiking into landmark gap or Glacier lakes. I can't seem to make up my mind though. Any suggestions which is better for lakers? I might have to try to land a few on a fly this year.
    Thanks for any info.

That is quite a hike into landmark gap.But seeing as how i am a tangle lakes Advocate I must say I am going to tangle lakes for Lake trout fishing in a few weeks.I have driven to landmark gap before and I would not do it during breakup season because you will get stuck back there.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

You do mean around the second week of June right?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    You do mean around the second week of June right?
    If you are asking me then no I mean june 3rd

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I'm planning on Memorial Day weekend or around June 3rd or so.

Hmmm, wife and I are going to Tangle lakes for the first time ever May 21, because that's when I have the time off to go. Is that too early?

Be sure to call before driving that far. Only 1 in 4 is Lake Louise open for Memorial Day. Denali Lakes rarely open until a week after Lake Louise. They are still driving trucks on it. May 21 is very optomistic..... very.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Yea I think Im pushing my luck with my june 3rd date.I think going 2 weeks before that is slightly crazy.Better dress warm.

take a bike and ride into landmark...also take your grayling gear...The grayling on that stream are big and plentifull
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

There may still be lots of Ice with this cold May.

Call the BLM and ask about ice. I guessing it is a little too early.

Check out the upper Tangles when you go as they can be lots of fun and don't see as many people. We outfit a number of groups each summer with canoes and they can/have made it all the way into Dickey Lake. Last summer I made the trip into the upper 3rd lake and caught some nice fish along the way. Another good choice is paddling down to the last lake in the lower section where the Delta begins and hammer the Grayling and bounce the bottom for the Lakers.

The Tangles and Delta River is a Gem!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Rafts and Canoes for the Delta
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com

not sure if you're aware of the mineral exploration going on in the Tangle Lakes area...a mine might be developed within sight and sound of the denali highway and within a few miles of the campsite. if you're interested in learning more, check out the website at www.savetanglelakes.org and the open petition to the state legislature, urging consideration of a state wildlife refuge, here: http://www.akcomments.org/tanglelakes.html

lots of people still don't know about what's going on, so it's really important that advocates like yourself get active and start spreading the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    That is quite a hike into landmark gap.But seeing as how i am a tangle lakes Advocate I must say I am going to tangle lakes for Lake trout fishing in a few weeks.I have driven to landmark gap before and I would not do it during breakup season because you will get stuck back there.

Default Tangle Lakes

We camped 5/20 thru 5/22 at the Tangle Lakes Campground. The first night I was there the ice was still up to the shore, but by the time I left on friday it had moved back about five feet from the shore line in most areas.

I fished and waded along Tangle River up to the upper Tangle Lake, little ice chunks were floating by.

The ice was almost in reach from the boat launch at Upper Tangle Lake.

The other lakes in the area appeard to be along the same lines as far as ice goes. I didn't catch anything. But it's nice up there, it is warming up.

did you see anything though?

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    did you see anything though?
    Negative. Nothing in the water.

Saw some bear poop on the road though.

76 and sunny in Denali right now. I am heading that way tomorrow so will post an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    76 and sunny in Denali right now. I am heading that way tomorrow so will post an update.
    Excellent! we'll be looking fwd to it w/rep points in hand!

-akiceman25

Taking the Ranger and inflatable boat to Dickey Lake this weekend. I'm familiar with fly-fishing for grayling but not necessarily familiar with trolling for lake trout. Will have two rods off the back of the inflatable trolling. Can anyone give me a couple ideas on set-ups, line, type of rod, and what I should or shouldn't do.