Thread: Whst sat phone company do you use?

Default Whst sat phone company do you use?

Looking for recommendations on sat phone plans service, price and rollover minutes would be my areas if concern.Hoping to find a Alaska service but open to suggestions.

Thanks Guys
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Surveyor's exchange. $200 for 200 minutes every 6 month's and they roll over if you pay in time.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Surveyor's exchange. $200 for 200 minutes every 6 month's and they roll over if you pay in time.
    I agree, i have used them for years. A person can shop on line and purchase sim-cards under the same plan, however those plans are not as cheap or as reliable on the roll over.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Call Vicki at Radio Fairbanks on College Road or Surveyors Exchange on Aurora Ave. Both can set you up with a plan on Iridium Satellite system.

Iridium is the only service to use, I tried Global Star, what a joke, you had to have a time table to try and catch a satalite that would work and even then it would only work for a few minutes at a time. My Iridium works very well. only if you put yourself in a deep dark canyon with lots of tall trees do you sometimes have a problem. If you go 3 miles offshore you can be charged for international call fees. My only complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Yeppers, been on that same plan for 4+ years now. Just re-upped the $200 for 200 more minutes and roll over the old ones. I think we are upwards of 1K minutes at this point so have no worries about how long we talk now. The battery will die long before the minutes run out now

Graet tip Northway. rep coming your way

+1 for surveyors. great service as was said minutes rollover as long as you have them charge to your card automatically. the initial cost is a lot. i think i paid around 1700 the first 6 months (1300 for phone, extra batteries, case, setup fee, 200 for the first 6 mos ect.) but its well worth it if you need to use it. when i go out by myself camping i call my wife just for peace of mind so she knows im not a human popsicle out there.

Are you guys buying Alaska only minutes? Have any of you heard of them? Is there a difference in price from anywhere in the world and Alaska minutes?

I know the "Alaska only" minutes sounds crazy with a satellite. The only reason I ask is: The Lady at Fairbanks surveyors exchange asked me if I was leaving the state with the sat phone. She stated the rental I had only worked in Alaska. Any thoughts???????

yeah you get an alaska only plan up here its called the northern lights plan. your phone only works up here. i think if you want to use your sat phone out of state you either need a different sim card or another plan. i dont know the price difference or if surveyors offers it.

The Northern Lights plan that I have works for calls placed from Alaska or Canada to the United States or Canada.
    I have asked various reps over the years how they can tell if you are in Alaska or Canada since southern Canada is actually at the same latitude as a northern California. Nobody has been able to give me an answer.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I just bought a used 9505a sat phone and started looking into the Northern Lights plans. From what they told me there will be limited coverage partially into the very northern US, but the main coverage is canada and Alaska. After talking to various retailers outside of Alaska I would highly recomend Surveyors exchange. You can tell they know what their talking about and the customer service is much better than anyone else I have dealt with so far!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Iridium is the only way to go. Buy phone and minutes from sat phones direct.com. You can do everything over the phone even when out in the bush. Cheaper and easier to deal with than surveyors exchange. The 9505 has better battery life than the 9555, but other than that, the 9555 is better. Texting from the 9555 is cheaper than calling.