Thread: Tanning a cape and mounting later

Default Tanning a cape and mounting later

I am going on a sheep hunt this fall and if I get a nice ram I want to have a shoulder mount done on it. Problem is that I've spent so much on gathering gear and the actual hunt that I would like to wait to spend another grand on a sheep mount, especially if I have a grizzly to rug out as well.

Can I just have the cape/ and or grizzly hide tanned and have a mount done later? How long would a tanned cape be good for before a mount wouldn't be doable or are they good forever?

I'm pretty sure that once it's tanned it should be good until you decide to mount it.One thought as is whoever you choose to do your mount,they usually don't take a deposit and it usually takes a year plus to get back,leaves you a little time to save up for it.

A tanned hide will lose its stretch over time and will become a "dead Hide". Most Taxidermist will accept work with a small down payment and the balance when the mount is done. If you just have to wait either store it green in the freezer or have it tanned and store it in the freezer.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I didn't think about making payments on it, that may work out fine. I only have one taxidermy experience and it was fairly cheap. How long will a hide last in the freezer?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I didn't think about making payments on it, that may work out fine. I only have one taxidermy experience and it was fairly cheap. How long will a hide last in the freezer?
    Each hide is different, based on how much acid remained. The acid will slowly degraded the leather, I have been told they get hard to mount after about 3 years as they tend to lose their stretch.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

How much salt would you recommend carrying for a sheep cape and a Brooks Range Grizzly?

Must flesh before you salt. But could leave salted and not tan for years as well.

Have it tanned & store in freezer will be mountable for a long time. I recently mounted up a deer that had been tanned & frozen 10 years ago. good luck any other questions feel free to ask

Todd
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

Have the cape dry tanned.. once you get it back soak it up, rehydrate it.. let it drain.. double wrap and get as much air out of the bag as possible, then freeze. Will last years.. Cost 1-200.00, on the sheep and 65.00 a linear foot on the bear

Hoytguy