Thread: PWS salmon harvests

Lightbulb PWS salmon harvests

I was checking on some runs during lunch and wandered into some of the harvest reports. I feel a little bit mislead (or perhaps my interpretations of previous threads were mislieading?) by some of the jargon that I recall reading on this site.

If my memory recollection is good it seems that I recall some of the more comercial oriented folks of the board saying that the sport fisherman should be thankful to the commerical fisherman in PWS because they stock all of these salmon that us sportfisherman catch in PWS......

So - then I read this - and think maybe I am not so thankful after all.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...on_summary.pdf

Obscene....

And for what?

A bunch of stocker pinks?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I was checking on some runs during lunch and wandered into some of the harvest reports. I feel a little bit mislead (or perhaps my interpretations of previous threads were mislieading?) by some of the jargon that I recall reading on this site.

If my memory recollection is good it seems that I recall some of the more comercial oriented folks of the board saying that the sport fisherman should be thankful to the commerical fisherman in PWS because they stock all of these salmon that us sportfisherman catch in PWS......

So - then I read this - and think maybe I am not so thankful after all.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...on_summary.pdf
    Aside from whether or not anyone should be thanked (all hail fullbush?)...that looks like a straight forward harvest summary. What in there is bothering you?

Well, I guess that I was thinking that the commercial fisherman were only catching the hatchery fish - but that is not the case - mostly hatchery, but not all...they are getting some wild fish too. From what I have read - and I am sure that you all will correct me should be mistaken, the hatchery fish do not do any good for the wild fish - so they are taking some wild fish, taking most of what they stocked, and at the same time jeapordizing the wild strains of salmon that mother nature has worked ions to perfect.

So - I guess my opionion is "no thanks".

I hope you know what the % of hatchery salmon commercial fisherman catch in Bristol Bay!! ZERO