Thread: 2 Questions:

Default 2 Questions:

1.) How far away is a reasonable distance to be in a ground stand? I set my barrel up at the bottom of a fairly steep valley and I'm looking at a large tree that has fallen over about 50 yards uphill that would give a nice shooting rest and offer a great view of any bears coming in or out. I know they wont be coming from the side where I'm at because it's closer to the road. What do you guys think? Anyone else use an uphill ground blind?

2.) If you do get a bear, is your success instantly over? Is it possible to clean up and have bears continue coming back so a friend can get a bear?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    1.) How far away is a reasonable distance to be in a ground stand? I set my barrel up at the bottom of a fairly steep valley and I'm looking at a large tree that has fallen over about 50 yards uphill that would give a nice shooting rest and offer a great view of any bears coming in or out. I know they wont be coming from the side where I'm at because it's closer to the road. What do you guys think? Anyone else use an uphill ground blind?

2.) If you do get a bear, is your success instantly over? Is it possible to clean up and have bears continue coming back so a friend can get a bear?
    I'm doing a ground blind as well. We have ours about 30-35 yards from the bait, since my nephew will be trying to take his 1st big game animal, I want him to be close for that shot. I think your setup should work just fine.

Now, I've heard if you gut a bear at the bait, it will make them nervous about coming back, but I don't know that for sure.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Shot 4 bears at my stand 2 years ago, they keep coming. I take my bears off the stand and clean them a mile away. In two separate instances, after shooting our bears, bears have been on the bait within an hour of a bear down, and my brother got charged when leaving the stand by a blackie. Had to shoot her at full charge. Another time I shot a blackie, another blackie came from the carcass and my buddie shot it after checking out the carcass.

So long story short, keep hunting the stand if u have multiple bears hiring it.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I've gutted several bears right on site, and had no problems with it scaring others off. The gut pile's usually devoured by the next day.

Never ever, ever say "the bear won't come in from this side, because..." They don't read, write or use human logic, so they're always surprising me by where they show up.

I've never had an issue gutting the bear on site and leaving the guts there,gut pile is usually gone within a few days. But I do try to drag it away from the site before I gut it, if its a small bear that isn't a problem, the big ones are kind of hard to move on your own!
    I set my stands 15-20 yds away from my barrel, but I bowhunt, an uphill ground blind should work out great.

I have had the exact same reults as blasterak. I dont worry about the gut piles either. I've gutted bears where they lay and shot a bear the following day as well as have bears come in according to the cam minutes after i haul the bear out. Their bears! The will nine times out of ten do whaever it takes to get that bait. Just get them used to you smell and make sere they know that everytime you come in their is more food. In my experience bears usually come in as soon as i get their and make my usual noise because they know that everytime that sound and smell comes their is new food so never go in without more food because they will be shy about aproaching if you dont. This is just my opinion with the experience i've had while trying to master the art of baiting... lol

Willphish said it well. Never say never. I've had bears get into a stand that had a hatch. Go figure. I've also had bears climb toward me when they knew I was there, even when I was talking to them. Nope, don't assume nothing, but likely at 50 yards you'll be ok. Maybe keep bear spray handy for smaller inquisitive bears that you don't want to shoot.
    I've always thought about finding a place to set a ground blind across a small gully or across a small creek. Never have found just the perfects spot though.
    ARR