Thread: Rope steering design advice

Default Rope steering design advice

Hi; Thanks for your consideration.I have a 1991 (bought new) 21 foot Mad River Canoe Square stern called the "Grand Laker" different from Grand lake stream made "Grand Lakers"made in ME. Canoes.I am set up for electric, and Yamaha 8 hp Two stroke power. I've outfitted her with Sonar,GPS,front mount battery/fuel tank,marine radio, and rod holders as a lake trolling canoe .She has a narrow 19 inch transom. I would like to add a under gunwale , rope/ pulley steering system so that anyone, anywhere onboard could steer when i'm hooked up trolling 3 rods on a windy day.does anyone have experience with this ?& will you share your expertise? Thank You in advance Kg (Grand Laker Fisher)

Tiller extension would probably be the most simple way to control the boat while rigging rods.

What Mainah said, since a tiller gives you both speed and direction. However, I can see where a pulley system might work at trolling speed. You would need 4 pulleys with mounts and some rope tensioners. I think the system would be klutzy.

That's the way steering systems used to work on boats in the fifties except they used the plastic coated steel cable instead of rope. It could be set up to work very well but would require a steering wheel not just pulling on the rope and as such would only be steerable from one place. It might work without the wheel at trolling speeds but I don't know how controllable it would be.