Thread: 220gr Hawk RT & 250gr Hawk RT

Default 220gr Hawk RT & 250gr Hawk RT

Worked on some Hawk bullet loads for my Savage 300Win Mag and my Ruger Hawkeye 358Win.

Here are some beginning results with both rifles and loads. There is great potential for accuracy with both rifles and bullets. I will be working up the velocities some with 358Win. TAC and W-748 are showing a lot of promise with the Hawk 250gr RT (jacket thickness .035). Tac gave me 2336fps, but was not as accurate as the W-748.

TAC works better for accuracy in my 358Win when it is at the upper end so I still have a little room to work with TAC. I have a lot of room to work with concerning the W-748 which only gave me 2194fps, but it was a mild load. Today was a great start. The Savage 116FHSS did as usual, shot great and had great velocities. The Ruger Hawkeye is shooting this bullet good like it does the different 225gr bullets I have used.

The 220gr Hawk RT (jacket thickness .035) will be my heavy for caliber load with my 300Win Mag. The apparent stringing is my fault, I pulled my third shot.

220gr Hawk RT, Win brass, CCI250 primers, 71.4grs of RL-22, 2741fps

250gr Hawk RT, Win brass, 9 12M primers, 47.5grs of 748, 2194fps
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Those are really promising results! Ready to shoot now, as a matter of fact.

Interesting comparison between powders in the 358, too.

Thanks!

Not sure if I will go with the Hawk bullets. I really favor the 220gr Partition semi RN for my 300Win mag heavy for caliber bullet. Also, favor the 250 and 225gr Partition for the 358Win. If the Partitions have as good or better accuracy I plan on going with them. I just don't want my core slipping out of the jacket on heavy muscle and boned animals. I am just not sure.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I hear ya. I've never had a core slip on Hawk or the old Barnes, but I haven't shot anything heavier than elk with the Hawk yet. The Barnes 275 from my old 358 Norma didn't slip going brisket to butt on a big moose at 100, but that was long ago. No big bruins with either, so who knows. I gotta say that heavy jacket may have a lot to do with any slip limit, because the few I recovered have never expanded all the way back down the shank.

The .035" jacket has never expanded all the way back for me either, but I am just not sure. The 225gr barnes original never slip a core or expanded all the way down the shank.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Come to think of it, the only slip I have personally documented was about 4 decades ago in Sierra 150 grain .277 boattails I loaded for long range (270 WBY mag), but fired a lot closer when the opportunity arose. The core remnant and jacket were about 6" apart, with the core under the hide of a large mulie and the jacket remaining in the liver. And it was peeled back about 75%.

I am just starting to mwork with the 225gr PT in my 358win. AS far as bears/elk/moose its the bullet i want to use, how ever Ineed a great deer bullet and would perfer a 225gr over the 200gr hornady Spire point and wonder if the PT is a little still for a pure lung shot. The lighter jacketed(.030) hawk 225 rp seem a good choice and I beat on a black bear they should be fine as well. I have not talked to Hawk to get their input or shot a deer with the 358/225gr PT from a 358 win. Have any advise to pass on? I have done work up loads with H4895/H322/ TAC with velocities in the 2420-2440fps range. Have some AA2230 loaded just waiting for the weekend and good weather. Mine is a 700 classic with 20.5" shilen barrel looks much like your 77/hawkeye and it wears a VXIII 1.5-5 too.

I have shot a deer with the 225gr partition and it only weighed 190 pounds and the 225gr partition put it on the ground right were it stood at only 80 yds from me. The 225gr partition front will open and do it's part and of course it exited and did it ever bleed out quick as it laid there in a pool of blood.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS