Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No pull starts anymore !!! What the heck!!

Angry No pull starts anymore !!! What the heck!!

What's up wit no pull starts anymore on atvs ? Kinda stupid !! I Just picked up my wheelers today and noticed something was off ? Then when I got home I realized there was no pull start !!!!! I called Yamaha and they said they stopped putting them on the 450 But did not realize they stopped on the 350's till I called. SUCKS!!!! pay more for each bike then last year but they took stuff off and I can purchase the upgrade kit!!!!!! First let me say my dealer is TOP 1 in my book been dealing with them for years not thier fault someone up high needed another big bonus
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I noticed that too. I have a '99 400 and just picked up an '11 450. Like them both, but should would feel a little more comfortable with the pull start. That said, I've had the '99 since 2003 and have never used the pull start. lol

Wow, I cant believe the 350's dont have them. I really wished mine had a back up starter too, even though I probably wouldnt be able to turn it over, its an 800. Not having a back up starter is like leaving iron sights off of a rifle, which seems to be the standard practice these days too.

I heard the other day that '12 Hondas werent being made with pull starts anymore. Thats interesting that other manufacturers are doing the same thing. I know Honda will still install one for you if you ask for it but ofcourse it costs extra.

I had the pull start put on an old Kodiak 400 (they started leaving them off in 95) then I needed to use it, pretty much worthless if i could get the motor to turn over it yanked the rope out of my hand. Ended up pulling the battery out of the running polaris and using it to start mine. Don't know if Yamaha ever improved their pull starts but back then they were just extra weight.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

It's kinda like having the crank start on a car when they added a starter. I am sure guys thought it was completely ridiculous but soon realized the didn't even need the crank. Same thing with the motor cycles, how Many Harley's do you see with a kick start on them?

I too just got a new wheeler and had to really think about it, but decided this was the best idea I could come up with why they are fading them out.

man that is a rip off no pull start! i think its even worse you have to pay extra for it!
    Semper Fi!

My first ATV was a 1991 Yamaha Big Bear 350. I had to order a pull start kit for it. My 1998 Polaris Big Boss 6x6 and my wife's 1999 Sportsman 500 both came with pull starts. Pull starting them is not fun. Now I have a 2011 Big Boss 6x6 with a 800cc engine and no pull start. I don't think I could pull start one any way. I always carry a small set of jumper cables and I will have a spare battery if I run a trip by myself with the new Big Boss. If I had a engine I was capable of pull starting I would want a pull or kick start on it also.

Have 2009 Honda 420s..They came without pull or kickstart.

Definitely makes you check that the key is off and battery is in good shape before heading out.

I've used the pull start a couple of times on my 2001 Kodiak 400. But, just in the yard when the battery was dead from being old and sitting all winter. That thing is a pig to pull start. At one point, I thought about just taking it off so I wouldn't ever think I had that option. If I'm ever going anywhere with it, I make sure it has a good battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Also when they go to fuel injected I am not sure they can have a pull start. I just got an Arctic Cat Mud Pro 650. I added the pull start but not sure I am man enough to try and pull start it.

I have a 2007 Grizzly 450. It has 2,000 miles on it. I've never had to pull start it or even jump it. The last two winters it's been parked in an unheated shed and fires right up in the spring with a little choke (not injected).

I've had no need for a pull start.

99% of the time I could care less about having some sort of back-up starter, it is that 1% of the time that really bothers me. In my mind, If you are going into the woods with a machine it should have a back-up kick/pull start feature. I think with the big machines they have nowdays a kick-starter would be the way to go, our old Grizzly 600 had a pull-start and I swear He-man couldn't have cold-started that beast.

I don't have a wheeler anymore, just the RZR, so if my batt goes dead I am up #### creek without a paddle, oh well!
    -J

Yep. New Cats too. In fact the new Cat 425's and 350's can't even have a pull start added to them. Honest, I have yet to need anything but my electric start on my 500 Cat.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thats why I always liked and owned the 90s to 2000s King Quads with GEARS.They came with pull starts under the seats and compression release lever. Also with GEARS you can always pop the gear while in motion being pulled or going down a hill. I LOATHE automatic 4 wheelers.

the only ones worth a darn have pullstarts. electric start is for hipster doofus's
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    the only ones worth a darn have pullstarts. electric start is for hipster doofus's
    You and my kids.. Don't need no stinkin' battery! Thank God for the kickstart on our snowplow..'96 honda fourtrax

I really like having the pull start there. I tried it on my 700 when it was new to see if I could, and I was successful. Never did have to use it though. My Rancher had one, had to use it a couple of times. This was always guaranteed to pull once, the recoil part tended to get bound up with silt and forget to recoil.
    New machines are unforgiving for people who would like to ride out no matter how slowly. They tend to either run or not.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I always carry jumper cables even before this
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I always carry jumper cables even before this
    10-4! I have a set of ATV/Motorcycle cables that fit into a little 8"x8" nylon pouch, they have much smaller clips than ordinary cables for tight spaces, and they work great. I've even used them on my truck a couple times!

-J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast