Thread: reporting hunting violations online?

Default reporting hunting violations online?

a buddy and i were talking about hunting violations and he brought up a good point, maybe im wrong but there is no way to report crimes online. if you look at the state troopers website even the wildlife division they just give you numbers to call. wouldn't it be easier to be able to fill out an incident report online. i personally dont like to spend a lot of time on the phone if i was to report something ( i have nothing to report but just for the sake of argument) i would much rather do it online and anonymously. is there actually a way to do this and i just missed it or is it a stupid idea. i'm personally all for it but maybe lack of resources prevents this. i dont know but it would be nice you could even have a link to it from this forum.

911 dosent work any more.
    During a recent death, I actually called 9111, nothing. I dialed "0" and had to talk the operator to call the cops for me, I mean really had to talk her into it, it was crazy.....

Use that sat phone, take pictures and if its a felony against people, stop the S0B with citizens arrest and have a trooper arrive to convay 'em to a judge.
    Getting a Trooper to show up could take a couple weeks if its a rape or such, maby not ripping the date out of your tag could have a helocopter decending within the hour........

Carry a gun, a cop is too heavy.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

yeah ive got #'s on my sat phone it was just kinda more about the convienience of it some stuff doesn't occur in the field but find out about it later. ive never reported anyone in my life..im no saint either it would just be easier. but it could go like this..

dear fish and game, strangerinastrangeland ran over my bear with his snowmachine and shot it before i could catch it with mine because i was trying to shoot and load at the same time at least i got the cubs. see easy. uh - oh was any of that against the regs?

all kidding aside it would just be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    a buddy and i were talking about hunting violations and he brought up a good point, maybe im wrong but there is no way to report crimes online. if you look at the state troopers website even the wildlife division they just give you numbers to call. wouldn't it be easier to be able to fill out an incident report online. i personally dont like to spend a lot of time on the phone if i was to report something ( i have nothing to report but just for the sake of argument) i would much rather do it online and anonymously. is there actually a way to do this and i just missed it or is it a stupid idea. i'm personally all for it but maybe lack of resources prevents this. i dont know but it would be nice you could even have a link to it from this forum.
    I personally don't like to spend a lot of time on the phone either, so I don't run around ratting people out.
    If I see someone doing something minor/marginally wrong I'm going to mind my own business. And if I see them doing something like, say, shooting 38 caribou as they climb out of the river and then drive off, then I'll clear my schedule for some telephone time.
    Seriously though, why do so many people want to run around turning other people in?

Quote Originally Posted by stick+string View Post
    I personally don't like to spend a lot of time on the phone either, so I don't run around ratting people out.
    If I see someone doing something minor/marginally wrong I'm going to mind my own business. And if I see them doing something like, say, shooting 38 caribou as they climb out of the river and then drive off, then I'll clear my schedule for some telephone time.
    Seriously though, why do so many people want to run around turning other people in?
    For some, it is because letting those people continue to do those things gives the entire group of us a black eye. If we don't police ourselves, we are just asking for others who aren't as understanding to do it for us which isn't good for anyone. Now, I won't necessarily "rat" every little thing out to the authorities, but I won't ignore it. Confront the people and let their actions dictate whether going further is necessary. Just my angle.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    For some, it is because letting those people continue to do those things gives the entire group of us a black eye. If we don't police ourselves, we are just asking for others who aren't as understanding to do it for us which isn't good for anyone. Now, I won't necessarily "rat" every little thing out to the authorities, but I won't ignore it. Confront the people and let their actions dictate whether going further is necessary. Just my angle.
    well put.
    +1 if i could, but i seem to have "hit" you too recently
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I think part of them not wanting to take complaints on line, is that it opens it up to any hack who has it out for you to file a complaint against you anonymously. if it has to go thru a dispatch center they at least know the phone number you are calling from and your name if you give it. the trooper is going to want to interview the complainant. Given that everyones name and address etc was recently given out by F&G anyone could look you up because you got drawn for the tag they wanted and then anonymously file a complaint, and in my book that ain't right. if you got a beef then be willing to stand up in court and say, yes I saw so and so shoot a sub legal bull. Otherwise sit down, shut up and grab another beer.

The idea that anyone would just turn the other cheek and walk away from seeing something that is wrong is lost on me. If there is a POACHER out there that is breaking the law, and doing something against the law, then it is our responsibility as HUNTERS to report them. Many of us work very hard to follow the rules and laws that are put in place. We may not agree with them but there are other ways to deal with that and proper channels to go through to get them changed.

Blindly turning an eye to rule breakers will, in the long run, only hurt the sport that we all enjoy. We can't easily control bad winters, browse collapse, or predators, and the affect they have on game populations, but we all can help support the troopers and turn in those who cheat and steal opportunities from us and our kids.

Not sure if the Possum Police would read their email either.

I keep the local Game Warden' s number on my cell phone and I don't get all wadded up over minor stuff but then this is Delta and a lot goes on here.