Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: CUA regulations and lingo

  1. #1
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default CUA regulations and lingo

    Cassius: "Did Cicero say anything?"
    Casca: "Aye, he spoke Greek."
    Cassius: "To what effect?"
    Casca: "It was Greek to me."

    And so to me the regulations regarding controlled use areas are written in Greek. Why do some say "use of motorized vehicles or pack animals prohibited" and others include a qualifier "except aircraft."

    Is one to understand this to mean that aircraft are not considered motorized vehicles? What about boats? They certainly have motors. Unfortunately, the definitions section in the regs only lists motorized land vehicle, which I believe I understand. That would be a vehicle with a motor that operates on land, such as a car, truck, snowmobile, or quad. This definition does not cover boats or planes.

    I, for one, believe it to be complete BS that an aircraft is allowed in an area that restricts motorized vehicles - if indeed that is the case. We have already been around in circles about how the guides and the State are in bed together, and that airplane hunting is something that we must live with - however unethical it may be. So that is not the point of this question.

    I just want some clarification on which motorized vehicles are actually restricted from a CUA. If you want examples, check Tonsina CUA and Yanert CUA.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  2. #2
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    I agree with you.....What's interesting is that for Yanert, for example, motorized vehicles are NOT verboten, only motorized vehicles transporting hunters or their gear are prohibited...

    Which tells me they are limiting access for HUNTING ONLY...ummm, unless you own an aircraft, then you are good to go!!

    Ironically (or not) there is a long time guide who operates out of the upper yanert valley strips...


    Sigh........ its just like life in general, those with the money, make the rules. The average guys gets to hoof it. Nothing new....

    Did you pull a Yanert any bull tag?

  3. #3
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    No, I didn't draw anything. Those were just the first two examples I ran across with the different wording. I guess I just don't quite understand the point of restricting pack mules and allowing Super Cubs. Very counter-intuitive - unless a pack mule can eat more tundra than a Cub can beat down with its tires...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  4. #4
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    SkinnyD,

    Got a kick out of the Julius Caesar excerpt <grin>.

    Just as an fyi, based on dk's reply, in case some others may not know...the Board of Game can only regulate/restrict the use of motorized vehicles, horses, people, planes, boats etc that are used for hunting purposes. The rest of it falls under the state's Generally Allowed Uses statutes for recreational use on state lands.

    There are CUAs that restrict aircraft use for hunting. The list is here:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....controlleduse

    I had thought they were clear on just which kinds of uses were exempt or not, but didn't review that link, just have it here as a reference.

    Don't really see anything wrong with limiting some types of use and not others, depends on what is going on in each area and what the main problems may be, sometimes it's threat of too much game being taken, sometimes it's related to quality of hunt, reducing conflicts etc.

    Really cool to bring up where the phrase "It's Greek to me" comes from <grin>.

  5. #5
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    There are CUAs that restrict aircraft use for hunting. The list is here:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....controlleduse

    Thanks for the link. I was only reading from the printed regs book, which I find to be less clear than the site you posted. It is very helpful, and hopefully others will find it as such. Thank you again, good sir.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  6. #6

    Default

    Yep I wish more of the CUAs were like Clearwater CUA where aircraft is prohibited as well.

  7. #7
    Member mtnclimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Ak
    Posts
    354

    Default

    It is my understanding that when the regs say "motorized vehicles", it includes aircraft as well. Is my understanding correct?

  8. #8
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    It is my understanding that when the regs say "motorized vehicles", it includes aircraft as well. Is my understanding correct?
    That was the intent of the original post... to figure that out. The site that Mr. Richards posted helps some, but I'm still going to have to visit the FG office and ask exactly what I want to know. I want to hunt where I can rely on my wits and muscles - neither of which do me any good when some millionaire in his plane can plop down right over the next ridge.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    That was the intent of the original post... to figure that out. The site that Mr. Richards posted helps some, but I'm still going to have to visit the FG office and ask exactly what I want to know. I want to hunt where I can rely on my wits and muscles - neither of which do me any good when some millionaire in his plane can plop down right over the next ridge.
    Would it be OK then, if this same "millionaire" could "plop" his backside on a horse and ride right past you to gain better, easier access to an established camp waiting for them, complete with wine and tablecloths? LOL...don't be fooled into thinking because it is a CUA, that you will somehow have an equal footing with others hunting the area. Money has a way of buying happiness...even in the bush.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Would it be OK then, if this same "millionaire" could "plop" his backside on a horse and ride right past you to gain better, easier access to an established camp waiting for them, complete with wine and tablecloths? LOL...don't be fooled into thinking because it is a CUA, that you will somehow have an equal footing with others hunting the area. Money has a way of buying happiness...even in the bush.
    True but it talks more horses more time to get those hunters in there and out. Don't think you are foolish enough to truly believe that if planes where not allowed in many of the CUAs that there would still be as many hunters hunting those units.

  11. #11
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    True but it talks more horses more time to get those hunters in there and out. Don't think you are foolish enough to truly believe that if planes where not allowed in many of the CUAs that there would still be as many hunters hunting those units.
    In addition to decreased hunting pressure, we would also be making Mrs. Obama happy by walking some fat off of our collective rear ends.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    True but it talks more horses more time to get those hunters in there and out. Don't think you are foolish enough to truly believe that if planes where not allowed in many of the CUAs that there would still be as many hunters hunting those units.
    Use of planes is merely one small aspect of "unfair competition" within CUA's...Established Camps, Packers, Transporters, Guides and restricted strips pose a much greater disadvantage to the hunter walking in from the road or a cub jockey hunter, hunting on his own. Just don't want the unknowing among us to think that an area being a CUA is somehow a more wilderness type hunt or such. Some have the impression that it yields a much more Traditional, Hunt on Foot Experience...ha ha
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    In addition to decreased hunting pressure, we would also be making Mrs. Obama happy by walking some fat off of our collective rear ends.
    Talk is Cheap....Want to see Pictures?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Use of planes is merely one small aspect of "unfair competition" within CUA's...
    Are you a stand up comedian in real life or something? 'Cause your last post is making me laugh pretty hard!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Are you a stand up comedian in real life or something? 'Cause your last post is making me laugh pretty hard!
    Absolutely NOT!!! I have yet to find Humor in Controlling Use's and Area's....
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Folks, we all have our opinions on this matter. I even voiced mine. Unfortunately, I am a peasant like 99% of the rest of the world and no one ever asks me what I think before they write laws. Looking ahead, I feel quite certain that they never will ask me. I really just wanted to know if there was a distinction being made between different types of motorized vehicles in the regulations.

    Akres, if you want to continue the argument part of this thread, you'll have to sign on to your other name and argue with yourself. I do not intend to say another cross word to anyone.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Use of planes is merely one small aspect of "unfair competition" within CUA's...Established Camps, Packers, Transporters, Guides and restricted strips pose a much greater disadvantage to the hunter walking in from the road or a cub jockey hunter, hunting on his own. Just don't want the unknowing among us to think that an area being a CUA is somehow a more wilderness type hunt or such. Some have the impression that it yields a much more Traditional, Hunt on Foot Experience...ha ha

    Nope its not more wilderness in CUAs without planes just less people willing to get out and hunt if they have to leave the wheelers & planes behind. And as crappy of a hunter I am I need all the help I can get with less competition. More traditional, not at all. But certainly less people hunting CUAs where wheelers are restricted and even less where planes are restricted.

    Not saying we should restrict planes or wheelers at all just saying that w/o them there are way less people willing to walk in to and hunt them than other areas. Doesn't level the playing field sure but doesn't make it worse by any means.....Just FYI I am flying into a CUA this year to hunt.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Folks, we all have our opinions on this matter. I even voiced mine. Unfortunately, I am a peasant like 99% of the rest of the world and no one ever asks me what I think before they write laws. Looking ahead, I feel quite certain that they never will ask me. I really just wanted to know if there was a distinction being made between different types of motorized vehicles in the regulations.

    Akres, if you want to continue the argument part of this thread, you'll have to sign on to your other name and argue with yourself. I do not intend to say another cross word to anyone.
    Yes, distinctions are made to different types of motorized vehicles in the regulations.

    I found your response very "cross"....re "your other name"...What have you heard? Who have you listened to? Who is spreading this Vile?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes, distinctions are made to different types of motorized vehicles in the regulations.

    I found your response very "cross"....re "your other name"...What have you heard? Who have you listened to? Who is spreading this Vile?
    You're right. I was not as friendly as I should have been. That's why I vowed to quit being argumentative (at least in this thread). I thought it was common knowledge that you were signing on with two different handles. I actually thought about creating another one myself - especially after seeing the great response women get when they ask questions on here. Folks fall all over themselves to tell the ladies where to go hunt. Be leery of "Cheer Hottie" when she asks for sheep hunting advice in the future.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes, distinctions are made to different types of motorized vehicles in the regulations.

    I found your response very "cross"....re "your other name"...What have you heard? Who have you listened to? Who is spreading this Vile?
    Can't be me, They think i am Ralph now. or some drunk chick, who is hot during black out mode
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •