Thread: Recommendations for Waterproof Camera Bag/Case/Backpack?

Default Recommendations for Waterproof Camera Bag/Case/Backpack?

I've been looking around and searching for posts regarding what others in AK use to protect their DSLR cameras.

I will be heading to AK this summer and I have purchased a new Canon 60D with a kit lens. I have been looking at some waterproof (class 3) backpacks as well as the camera specific options such as the Lowepros, Think-tanks, and Tamracs.

My primary need is to protect my camera from moisture. I work for a boat manufacturer and spend many hours on boats, offshore fishing, and would like to get something that will serve me well in the offshore saltwater environment as well as while I'm in Alaska.

We will be RVing for two weeks and fishing from shorelines almost all the time. I am thinking maybe a waterproof backpack that I can use as a carry-on that will hold my camera (plus other gear) and buying a holster style case for the camera. This would give me a holster for off-water use and protection (padding) while in the backpack.

I figure I can keep the pack and camera on my back while wading/fishing.

So am I crazy? Is there a solution that will not require a $300-$400 backpack? What are others' using?

For my Canon EOS Rebel DSLR I use two Lowepro bags. The one I use for my main bag, carries all my lenses, filters, etc. I have had it for over 12 years and its been through a lot, and still in great shape. I also have a camera hip bag from Lowepro as well. It holds the body with lens attaches and has room for another lens. I use this on back packing trips and such. If your really concerned about keeping your camera dry, try looking for waterproof body models kits. They are not cheap and a little bulky, and may not fit into a camera bag designed for just the lens and body. You can go the cheap way, which I have used in the past, is zip lock em' in bags. Just make sure you get quality ones. I would recommend looking into getting a portable waterproof camera that can be had from Olympus for about $300 bucks. They make a model called the Stylus Tough. It is really designed for the serious outdoors man. They can go underwater, be dropped in mud, and stepped on without having no issues with it. I have the 8010 Model which can take a drop at 6.6 feet and go underwater at 33 feet. I have used it in the pools and streams, and the Chena Hot Springs, taking video and snap shots. Quality is surprisingly descent. Best of all its light weight and fits in your pocket. I use this camera more than my EOS, even though my EOS has various lenses I can changed out. It all depends on what your shooting and the environment your in to make a choice. The Stylus Tough is more than often my go to camera. I have been very happy with it.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Thanks for your input Shoedawg!

Jim

I am in the same boat so to speak. Using Lowepro now but think I am going to go Pelican case soon. Seems safer for boats and bush planes. Bulky and a pain but it will save you thousands if it does go in the drink.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...00,1934,18.htm

http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/index.html This may be an option. I have one that I put my Panasonic fz8 in while we were in Hawaii a couple years ago. I had it down atleast 8 feet and no leaks. I know I would never put my high end DSLR in one and snorkle with it but it would work great for splash/moisture protection. Hillbilly

PELICAN brand makes some very dependable cases in many different sizes/styles.....look em up....hope you find what your looking for

Jake

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by jimboh View Post
    Thanks for your input Shoedawg!

Jim
    No Prob Jim. Pelican would be another choice too. I have one for my iPod and it does a great job protecting it. Like said before though, they a bulky and heavy but do a great job. Good luck.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I have a small pelican I carry a hand-held gps, a P & S Fuji camera, and some extra batteries. Certainly waterproof, as I field tested it a few years ago when it flew out of a boat (with a watersports toy) and was in the saltwater for about 5 minutes before we could retrieve it!

I want something I can carry-on and less bulky that a pelican case. I am beginnging to think I'll get a Domke insert and put it in a waterprook backpack.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I also use Pelican cases. A small one (1150?) for a point & shoot, and I think a 1450 for DSLR, several lenses and a flash. I had a 1550 for a while, but thought it too big. I've also padded an old military 50 cal. ammo can that had a good seal. If you arrange it right the ammo can can hold a camera with three lenses and still have room for either a flash or a bunch of extra junk. They also open & close fast. Their only down side is weight. Pelican's weigh less, but are bulkier.

I've used padded dry bags too, but they are way too slow to get into. Same with a back pack. But that's just my opinion, and others disagree.

Right now I've settled on putting the DSLR in a Pelican box and having a waterproof Panasonic point & shoot around my neck for fast snaps and video. I prefer the Panasonic waterproof cameras to the Olympus Toughs. ----- Another opinion

Lowepro Dryzone 200, 100% waterproof backpack. Got one I use on float trips and such. Very high quality. Comes in yellow/black and black/gray if I recall. B&H Photo (website) has them, great site for info/pics at any rate.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for all the input. Dan, Where in NC are you? I live in Greenville. I ordered Overboard Waterproof Pack for $28 regular price was $90. I appreciate all the input and suggestions.

I use a Lowepro Pro Runner 300AW. Although you wouldn't want to dunk it underwater and expect it to be waterproof, it does have a built-in all-weather cover you can unfold and cover everything with, if it starts to rain. And there is adequate room inside for a camera with a long telephoto and several other lenses and accessories. I like it. I bought mine for $118 from Amazon.com, mainly because of the free shipping and a decent price.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,2182,14.htm

And here is a link to their waterproof offerings:
    http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Waterproof,18.htm

I see anything considered really "waterproof" is $300-plus...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Thanks for all the input. As noted above, I purchased an Overboard waterproof backpack and I'm ready to go!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimboh View Post
    Thanks for all the input. As noted above, I purchased an Overboard waterproof backpack and I'm ready to go!
    I did that too. I purchased this one:
    http://www.overboardusa.com/ob1087blk.html
    I was the only alternative solution to the popular orlieb bags like the aquazoom:
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-42.htm
    The overboard was cheaper and the matter is pretty tough and looks definitely waterproof. But nevertheless i am disappointed, it has no cushion like the ortlieb. i won't go for the overboard again