Thread: Skid plates for Rangers 6x6 or 4x4

Default Skid plates for Rangers 6x6 or 4x4

Hey does anyone know of any outfits that sell/make aluminum skid plates up here in Alaska? I priced them online while cheap enough once S&H is figured in out goes the great deal. I tore a big chunk of my plastic skid plate off my ranger this past weekend. So looking for something better that wont break the bank. Thanks.

Call Carlile Transportation. Guys are taking advantage of Lower 48 company's free shipping to the Lower 48 and for most stuff (depending on size and weight) Carlile will ship for less than $100, 5-7 business days. So, if you can get the lower 48 company to ship for free to Tacoma, WA then you're shipping is only what Carlile will charge you. For a quote Carlile will need shipping object/box/container dimensions and approximate weight. Just a thought, if you found something you liked from the lower 48.

Thanks, thier are some good after market skid plates that are straight bolt ons to replace the pastic ones.

Kind of crazy how flimsy the stock skid plate is but it works well unless you are dragging over rocks.

If I were rich I'd go for a 3/8" uhmw skid. Slide over anything. Can get a sheet and lay the stock one over and trace. Counter sink all washers and screws.

What the heck are you guys doing with your Rangers? I've been to Eureka, Denali Hwy, B-29, Sheep Creek, Willow mail run, Hatchers, P-ville, and other trails and other than some dents my skid plate is fine. I guess I drive like an old man so I rarely max out the suspension or bottom out.

Yeah you must drive like an old man LOL... Nothing unusual I have bottomed it out on the last few trips into our bait sites. The trail is getting worse ie muddier and ruts are gettign deeper. There are old stumps you don't see until it is to late and that is what got my skid plate. I thought about getting some Aluminum and doing that tracing it and doing it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    What the heck are you guys doing with your Rangers? I've been to Eureka, Denali Hwy, B-29, Sheep Creek, Willow mail run, Hatchers, P-ville, and other trails and other than some dents my skid plate is fine. I guess I drive like an old man so I rarely max out the suspension or bottom out.
    My stock plate is fine.. BUT I have been aware of the thin material so ride accordingly. My wish for future is to add the 3/8" uhmw. Will feel better trying to dig out of an old bank. Or ripping over an ungodly angle.

BTW..323 did you get A-Arm guards?

No and one of the plastic ones is already cracked I need to do some upgrading before moose season. I found a skid plate with decent shipping up here cost around 250 dollars total but it beats me trying be metal fabricator the day the good lord was handing out talent he forgot about me.

Get a sheet of uhmw and I will help you out, you will be way ahead in the long run over the aluminum.

Between the two of us we should be able to figure out the mounting and an access hole for your oi, filter.

will do where do they sell that stuff at I need to take measurements and have them cut it. It shouldn't be hard cuttign out holes etc all we have to do is use the old one for a template.

Image plastics on old seward just north of 76th on top of the rise.

http://www.plaschemsupply.com/module...me=retail_book

they are so cheap to buy thats why they break. now if they were charging 29k for one new it would be better materials.
    Semper Fi!

Default Bulletproof skid plates

Check out the guys over at www.alaskaskidplates.com
    They make 1/2 inch UHMW bad boys that are perfect for Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Hey does anyone know of any outfits that sell/make aluminum skid plates up here in Alaska? I priced them online while cheap enough once S&H is figured in out goes the great deal. I tore a big chunk of my plastic skid plate off my ranger this past weekend. So looking for something better that wont break the bank. Thanks.

Thanks TWB sent me the link as well.

i like to use street for my 3 wheeler skid plates. got a cool one now thats i wanna start bending up.
    Semper Fi!

Did you get your project underway yet or are you considering buying one that is already made? I'll be getting the 1/2 in from plaschemsupply as soon as i get funds free'd up and do some work to get mine fixed up...the stock one barely survived the first run to moose camp.

Default Resurrecting the thread...

Posting this for a buddy of mine:

He bought a Ranger 800 (full size) 4x4 last year and the under belly needs some protection. He has looked online and found some that he is thinking of having Carlile ship up for him. We have been looking in Alaska but have been unsuccessful in locating anyone here who sells skid plates (steel, aluminum or UHMW). Can someone please point us in the right direction on who to contact to acquire a set of full under belly plates? I know he is considering custom making some UHMW plates from sheets, but I think he may want to push the metaphorical "easy button".

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I would resurrect this one and see if there are any new options out there. Thanks for any and all input.

KP.

I looked into uhmw also, the plastics place in Wasilla said they could do basic cuts for free and then you have to finish it yourself. I haven't had the money released from the boss to do it yet.... I wanted to tip my rhino on end to do it, a lot easier access!

what i was saying is street signs make good skids.
    Semper Fi!