Thread: Homer to Kodiak on the Ferry???

Default Homer to Kodiak on the Ferry???

So I jut found out that my rig is to long to load on the Kennecot from Homer to Kodiak by about 6'. Truck is 20, trailer/boat is 36. Apparently I have to drive my truck on, have someone with a short vehicle drive the boat on, then hook back up to mine for the trip. Get to Kodiak, drive my truck off, then someone drives boat off with short vehicle. Anyone done this "leapfrog" before?? only other option is load the truck/trailer on as it's short enough and run the boat over. I can make the run, would like to, but rather not at this point in time. Any advice?? Anyone used the services of the guys that ill do this in Homer?? I have people in Kodiak that can do that end for me.

Thanks

Abel

Give Mike a call at Homer Boat Yard.

When are you traveling and how big is your boat? I'd be willing to help you if I'm in town. Tried to send you a PM but your profile doesnt allow it.

Ive done it a couple times with the Tusty. It's really easy, dont sweat it. Call the ferry office and they will tell you who has the contract in Homer, I cant remember been a couple years. I think it was 50bucks, not a big deal and well worth it.

Adam, I leave Homer on the 12th of June. Trailer with the boat on it is 36', about 11K lbs.

I'll be out of town on that date. Give Kar-a-van transfer in Homer (235-7031) a call and ask for Floyd. He's the owner and he loads / unloads all of the big stuff. I'm not sure what he charges, but he's a heck of a good guy. Tell him that you need to do a "Double Shuffle" on the ferry. Phil at Alaska Ferry Adventures has a small truck, but wont be able to handle that size vessel. Good luck,

Thanks Adam

Abel,

What is your cost looking like for the "double shuffle"? I would be interested in taking a similarly-sized combo down there in the fall to do some hunting...

IceKing02

Guy in Homer said 75 to load if I was there to help. 50 in Kodiak to unload. If you do make the trip after June 12th, get in touch with me on here an I'll see if I can hook ya up.

Actually it is SHORT truck on board/ long truck on dock....the stern of the Kennicott (where the second vehicle would park) is not deep enough for a full size truck without opening the stern door and getting right out onto the edge. How do I know this, cause I work on the Kennicott.