Thread: I need a floorplate latch for a commercial Mauser and a .338 cal barrel or blank

Default I need a floorplate latch for a commercial Mauser and a .338 cal barrel or blank

Hello everyone--I am working on a project to build a .338-06 on a Foremost model 6500 Mauser action. It has the commonly found aluminum bottom metal, identical to some Parker-Hale and FIE import Mausers. The latch that holds the hinged floorplate closed is broken--it was a cast aluminum piece. I have attached a picture of the one from my FIE Musketeer, which is identical to the one I need. I tried contacting Gun Parts Inc. (the old Numrich), and they don't have one. Do any of you have an idea where I might find one, or maybe a complete bottom metal set for this project?

If not, I may be trying to make one on my milling machine, but it is a tricky shape for a beginner at machinist work to try.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Best Regards,
    Jim

I'll file one by hand out of a flat piece of steel or aluminum- drill the hole in the flat stock and then trace the outline of the good part on the flat stock using the holes as a reference and start hacksawing and filing. You only have a couple of surfaces that are anywhere near critical and you can hand fit those perhaps adjusting for any wear. Personally I think the pot metal trigger guard should be repalced on any decent rifle if possible.

If you have a mill you can make a very attractive guard assembly out of an 1903 Springfield milled guard by relocating the rear hole and enlarging the recess for the front screw. Otherwise you can work on a military 98 guard if you want to practice on your maching.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    Hello everyone--I am working on a project to build a .338-06 on a Foremost model 6500 Mauser action. It has the commonly found aluminum bottom metal, identical to some Parker-Hale and FIE import Mausers. The latch that holds the hinged floorplate closed is broken--it was a cast aluminum piece. I have attached a picture of the one from my FIE Musketeer, which is identical to the one I need. I tried contacting Gun Parts Inc. (the old Numrich), and they don't have one. Do any of you have an idea where I might find one, or maybe a complete bottom metal set for this project?

If not, I may be trying to make one on my milling machine, but it is a tricky shape for a beginner at machinist work to try.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Best Regards,
    Jim
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I like your ideas tvfinak--thanks for the reply.
    Best Regards,
    Jim

Trigger Guard, Hinged, Commercial
    Product No. 881550C

Numrich guns in stock 74.25 im looking at it right now.

Sporterexpress has them listed from time to time the only on on today is some alum. with a deer head on the floor plate but they do have a detachable mag conversion on there for 35.99

good luck with the gun man

HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE

WILL