Thread: Gulkana River Ice

Smile Gulkana River Ice

This past weekend saw huge changes on the Gulkana River. I hiked into Poplar Grove, Salior's Pit and down to the bridge and the river was clogged with ice on Saturday but on Sunday the river blew wide open and is about 50% free of ice. This is early by most year standards but the Copper is still all jammed up.

Paxon Lake is solid ice with very few open spots which is the norm. Most years the outlet will not be open or free of ice until June 5-6ish. I would keep tabs on her with the BLM in Glennallen as they will have up to date river info via fly overs. Start planning your family float trips now! Get a float plan in place and make sure some one knows when you will put in and when you expect to take out. Sat phones are a good idea but we now have good cell coverage in the lower section and up through Sourdough.

Up next ....Planning your float trip!

See ya on the water!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com

4 years ago the ice tore off 100 yards of bank alders and deposited a rock the sixe of a mini-cooper near the lower end.
    By the way, can you float from Sourdough to the bridge in 2 days?
    Thanks
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Yes with ease it can be done in one day with effort at higher flow. When we offered that trip commercially it caculates out to about 30 hours with camping. If your seriously fishing it three days to hit everything and I do mean dedicated fishing. if your just floating and pushing 16 hours at most normal water.

Have fun!

2 days no problem!

We put a lot of families on that part of the river because they are seeking a quick trip on easy water without many other boats on the water. It is real nice to do 2 days and 2 nights putting in in the evening, floating 5ish miles and camping and finishing in 2 easy days. About 20 ish miles to the bridge.

We did it last June with 2 other families and it was great! All of the kids shared their own Kayak or Canoe and the parents took the gear boats. Good choice for sure.

If Your looking at fishing for Kings consider putting in at Poplar Grove and it put you on the best King holes along with the commercial guys and keep in mind they are paying about $325 a head for the pleasure!

See ya on the water

Walt
    mile 127.5 of the Richardson
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps

Thanks for the post Walt!

The lower section is Ice free now but the flow is fast and lots of junk in the water. Most bars and bends are 3 feet deep in chunks of ice. I have folks going out for a trip in 2 weeks. Should be a good trip but you need to stay on your oars as sweeper pop up fast and there will still be plenty of log on the bends.

Walt
    mile 127.5 of the Richardson
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps