Thread: Help from the female hunters looking for a frame pack for my wife

Default Help from the female hunters looking for a frame pack for my wife

I have been looking for a good frame pack or frameless pack that my wife can use for packing. She has a badlands backpack that she loves it fits her great and it is really comfortable but we cant seem to find any bigger packs that she can pack meat with.
    What have other girls found that works for them.
    Thanks

Tony

Perhaps she should post this question on the "female Forum"....just a thought.....
    dennis

I agree,they even know what colors are in this year
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

AOD has divided us into a gender oriented forum now. Males are not allowed to participate in the womens' forum and I assume we should no longer discuss female issues here or accept advice from females.
    Your wife needs an invite from the womens forum moderator. And you won't be allowed to participate.............unless wour wife allows you to sneak in under her user ID.
    Note to mods.......maybe the womens forum needs some measures installed to assure men don't "sneak" in.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Tony - I don't know of any good packframes for women, but my wife simply uses her internal frame pack and it does fine for packing meat. That being said, the most she has had in there was probably around 70lbs, but given her 5'0" frame, that was more than enough and two trips are often better than one.

Brian, I sent you a PM

I just use an internal frame pack, and if I need to I'll bone out or take an extra trip.

Have her try on some packs and purchase the most comfortable and useful for her. Whether internal or external ( which I prefer for several reasons) most women will not be able to carry an amount of weight which exceeds the capacity of cubic inches of the pack.

OH MY GOSH ! DID I JUST SAY THAT ?!?!

No sexism intended or implied, my statement is based on first hand experience.

Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Have her try on some packs and purchase the most comfortable and useful for her. Whether internal or external ( which I prefer for several reasons) most women will not be able to carry an amount of weight which exceeds the capacity of cubic inches of the pack.

OH MY GOSH ! DID I JUST SAY THAT ?!?!

No sexism intended or implied, my statement is based on first hand experience.

Seriously
    I have to disagree here. Getting her a larger pack 5000+ cu in is the first criteria we look for in my wife's pack. Going in her pack is much lighter than mine as I carry the lions share of the weight and gear in my larger pack. But coming out I give her a lot of my high volume low weight stuff like tent, sleeping bags, pads, cook stove and what not while I am hauling out the meat. Much better to have enough space to accomodate lots of light stuff for her to carry your gear so you have more room for the dense meat to pack out.

Trying on packs is key. No one knows what will work for her better than her. My wife has hauled out caribou with a Mystery Ranch on their NICE frame and she really liked it. But this year we are going to get the KU 5200 a try for her to see if she lieks it. 7 lbs lighter than her current pack. We'll see how she likes it tomorrow as its my anniversary present to her.

REI has a great selection of packs to choose from. Just make sure the frame is stout enough to handle some weight (75-80 pounds is all my wife really wants to carry and can't fault her for that) A good check I do on the frame is apply downward pressure on the top of the frame and see how easily it flexes. For example Osprey packs are very comfy with 60 lbs in them but above that they start to get uncomfortable for me much sooner than the stiffer Arcteryx frames, applying downward force to the frame of the Osprey Aether 85 vs the Bora 80 may show why the Arcteryx is more comfy with heavier loads....or maybe its just how they fit my body under those weight. I'd give the nod to Osprey with just backpacking gear when it comes to comfort but loaded down Arcteryx eclipses them. Just something to look for in a meat packing pack.

But most importantly make sure its comfy for her is the key and big enough to haul a good portion of your gear in the event you are successful and you need to haul out the heavy meat/hide.

I think, Alaska-Lanche you mis-understand my meaning. What I was trying to convey is that if given an equal capacity pack made for carrying large heavy loads... say 5000+ci for example, that most (or any I have known) will not be able to carry a quarter of moose or caribou, half a deer, black bear, sheep etc. , even though it will fit in/on the pack, where many/most men can and then some.

Your wife being able to carry 75-80lbs is very impressive when compared to what I have seen carried by any woman I have known and a few men, I think she is an exception rather than the norm. Over any significant distance 40-50lbs seems to be the maximum comfort zone for women I have been afield with, but perhaps, I have been with the exception rather than the norm ?

Tink

A Horse..
    lol I guess it depends on how much meat you want to strap on your wife! What are you hunting? Anything less than a moose; well.....

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have been looking for a good frame pack or frameless pack that my wife can use for packing. She has a badlands backpack that she loves it fits her great and it is really comfortable but we cant seem to find any bigger packs that she can pack meat with.
    What have other girls found that works for them.
    Thanks

Tony

I agree with try them on and see what SHE likes. In my case, the pack brand doesn't matter as much as how it fits me and how the belt and shoulders are adjusted. One thing I prefer is a really wide waist belt to spread the load.

I can carry upwards of 70 lbs all day long, just not fast I'm 5'5", 115 lbs and in decent shape. Mr. mbd over the years has consistently been amazed at how much weight I can carry, but I load my pack carefully and make darn sure the adjustments are perfect before I head out.

Also, when trying packs on, some weight helps. Empty packs in no way equal full packs in how they fit, for me at least. My current external frame pack is a youth model which I think is a little narrower and shorter than adult and it works great.

Spend the time and money to get what she likes. It'll pay off for both of you.