Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: ADFG "pay to park" fee stations

  1. #1
    Member cube01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default ADFG "pay to park" fee stations

    I'm looking for some info on the laws/regs concerning the ADFG "pay to park" fee stations (like the new one at Canoe Lake) where you show up, put your $5 in the envelope and put the tag on your dash... Anyone have any links or anything? I did a search but couldn't find anything.
    I also used the "Ask a trooper' forum and asked him this same question about a year ago, but that guy is about as responsive as a spawned out salmon (that's a little fish reference for ya').

    Essentially, I don't mind paying my $5 to park, but if all I have in my wallet is a 20 there's no way I'm throwing that in there... I'm not trying to screw the system, I'm trying to keep the system from screwing me...

    Any info would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    I've had this happen as well. Short of making sure I have the right change before I go, theres not alot you can do.

    The last time, I put a written note in the envelope that essentially said, "I only had a $20, if you are here when I get back I will pay you, otherwise I will pay double next time".

    A buddy told my they dont even enforce the fee (ie patrol) until memorial day weekend, but Im not sure I beleive him....

  3. #3
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    D why don't you just by a park's pass?????? You pay like I think 60 dollars????????? Or maybe it was 40?????? Any way you get one of those put it on your windsheild and your good for the year. Now there are a few places were your not but those are on the kenai. But I think it is worth it.

  4. #4
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    The people that patrol the parking lots owed by Diamond down by ship creek are even worse. They had some kid taking money from the fee stations last year. Had a ticket on my truck three days in a row down there and finally watched the little ******* taking money out of the slots and putting it in his pocket. Called the company up and had all my tickets dropped. Don't know what they ever did with the kid but I never saw him again.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  5. #5

    Default

    The parking fees at parks are charged by DNR, not ADF&G. Here is a link to the DNR web page regarding fees and annual passes. There is a FAQ page, but nothing that addresses the situation of not having exact change.

    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/fees.htm

  6. #6
    Member cube01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    A buddy told my they dont even enforce the fee (ie patrol) until memorial day weekend, but I'm not sure I beleive him....
    I put a $20 bill and the envelope on my dash yesterday evening as if to say "look ******* I'm not paying you more than I have to and I'm waiting around for change"... I came back to a red envelope on my windshield. The envelope was just a regular fee envelope like you get from the fee station, but it was red... It had no instructions or anything. So what does that mean? I have no idea... I wish they'd give a little more info on what they're expecting.

    Quote Originally Posted by commfish View Post
    The parking fees at parks are charged by DNR, not ADF&G. Here is a link to the DNR web page regarding fees and annual passes. There is a FAQ page, but nothing that addresses the situation of not having exact change.

    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/fees.htm
    Thanks for the link and info. That helps.
    I'd really like to see some legal information on this stuff from the state though. Something that says here is what is expected, here is what the fines are, here is what to do if you don't have exact change, and here is the laws that say we can do this... Otherwise I'm just going to put up a sign next to a vacant piece of water saying to pay $5 to park here and collect on that and it will be as vague and possibly just as illegal as what DNR is doing.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Otherwise I'm just going to put up a sign next to a vacant piece of water saying to pay $5 to park here and collect on that and it will be as vague and possibly just as illegal as what DNR is doing.
    LOL Everybody wants in on the action...Last time I went to the Copper River, I pulled up to the river's edge...sat in my pickup watching the river...wind and sand blowing like hell...a guy comes up and taps on my window. He tries strongarming me for a few bucks for "parking" there...I rolled the window back up, pulled out a piece and placed it on the dashboard...resumed my business of watching the river...he left!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member Albradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks,Alaska
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    LOL Everybody wants in on the action...Last time I went to the Copper River, I pulled up to the river's edge...sat in my pickup watching the river...wind and sand blowing like hell...a guy comes up and taps on my window. He tries strongarming me for a few bucks for "parking" there...I rolled the window back up, pulled out a piece and placed it on the dashboard...resumed my business of watching the river...he left!!!
    LOL this is hilarious.Has anyone ever just called DNR to find out what to do if we dont have exact change?
    There's a fine line between fishing....

    and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

  9. #9
    Member cube01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Parking meters downtown are pretty well defined, and readily available laws and limitations justifying them... That's the whole point of me asking for information here - to find things like 11. ACC 05.010.
    I have no problem paying $5 to park. I have a huge problem putting $20 into a hole with no information as to if I'm going to get my change back, or what the red envelope means (aside from some jerk on a forum with a snide attitude telling me what he thinks it means) aside from being red - such as am I getting a fine? Has my info been taken down? Who can I contact to verify this? and other completely logical questions.


    I pay my fees just like everyone else, including the $5 in the red envelope... Like I said I'm not trying to cheat. I'm trying to not be cheated....

  10. #10
    Member cube01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Parking meters downtown are pretty well defined, and readily available laws and limitations justifying them... That's the whole point of me asking for information here - to find things like 11. ACC 05.010.
    I have no problem paying $5 to park. I have a huge problem putting $20 into a hole with no information as to if I'm going to get my change back, or what the red envelope means (aside from some jerk on a forum with a snide attitude telling me what he thinks it means) aside from being red - such as am I getting a fine? Has my info been taken down? Who can I contact to verify this? and other completely logical questions.


    I pay my fees just like everyone else, including the $5 in the red envelope... Like I said I'm not trying to cheat. I'm trying to not be cheated....
    Sorry folks, I know the above seems a little out of place... This was in response to a post that has been deleted, and then the forum admid edited it to be a little less knee-jerk and offensive towards that person.
    Please disregard.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    197

    Default

    If you know where you like to fish costs $5 to park, bring $5. Or get your annual pass and park at any state operated site except for Little Su (Burma Landing) or Russian River. It's even good for Hatcher Pass so you can take your guests there for the day without screwing the system.

  12. #12
    Member cube01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    If you know where you like to fish costs $5 to park, bring $5.
    I think I'll be sticking to the fly fishing forum from now on...
    Have fun with your earth worms guys.

  13. #13
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    (If you know where you like to fish costs $5 to park, bring $5)
    The problem with this idea is some of us have been here a long time and maybe haven't been back to some old favorite spots in a year or so. How do I know where they are going to start charging to park next. Didn't even charge to camp in the good old days. Like until I read this I didn't know they started to charge at canoe lake. Maybe they need to get with the times and put in C/C, Debt card machines. Save having to hire dishonest summer help to take it.I can see cubes point. In this day don't always have the correct cash. I guess I better think about the annual pass.

  14. #14
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    ...or just bring your wife and have her circle the parking lot until you get back from fishing!!! LOL...

  15. #15
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    cube I think it is bs too..............if you read the thing they wont give your money back, and if you pay extra, you don't get more then one day if it is a day parking area only. I have gone many times and not paid because there is many times I have paid 20 to park. Nothing ever happened to me, I never got a letter in the mail or a nasty voice message so I wouldnt' worry about it. But honestly as much as you go fishing it is well worth the money just to get a season pass, in all honestly I think it would save you money. I know it does for me.

  16. #16
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    947

    Default

    If you are talking about my post I deleted it. I don't like making snide comments. I was hoping I had deleted it before anyone got to it. Part of the problem is I have heard alot of people complain about How does the Parks DARE to charge people to use them.

    I do not work for the Parks but I do work close to them.

    As for Poawerdrifters question, How many of the parking areas have electricity much less internet (thats how the cc machines work) and if they do then who are you going to pay to make sure they are not destroyed or stolen? I can imagine a cc or debit card machine would last a long time at say Bird Creek or one of the other remote areas.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

  17. #17
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    For those too cheap to get the annual parking pass, and I certainly do not condone this method, but... take the envelope and tear off the receipt part that goes in your window. Display it as appropriate (the parking fairies will usually see the receipt and move on down the line, thinking you've paid your fee). Shove the rest of the envelope in your glove box next to all your parking tickets. Take your screwdriver and remove your license plates and place them, face-down, on the driver's side floor board (so you remember to put them back on before you leave). Go enjoy our public land while trying to get over your guilt of not helping to support the access infrastructure.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  18. #18
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    For those too cheap to get the annual parking pass, and I certainly do not condone this method, but... take the envelope and tear off the receipt part that goes in your window. Display it as appropriate (the parking fairies will usually see the receipt and move on down the line, thinking you've paid your fee). Shove the rest of the envelope in your glove box next to all your parking tickets. Take your screwdriver and remove your license plates and place them, face-down, on the driver's side floor board (so you remember to put them back on before you leave). Go enjoy our public land while trying to get over your guilt of not helping to support the access infrastructure.

    Well this has worked in the past, some of the rangers will actally go write down all the plate numbers and check them against envolopes. And then puut one in your window. If your on the kenai and you launch a boat and they find you on the river I heard it is a 100 dollar ticket???? Don't know if it is true or not just what I was told by some one at bings last year who didn't pay.

  19. #19
    Member Rod in Wasilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    um... Wasilla...
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Why not just write a check? Or does nobody use checks anymore?

    As a bonus, when the local vandals steal the payment box (happened a few years ago at the Little Su) your check never gets cashed and you got to fish for free!
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

  20. #20
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Before realizing that the $40 annual pass is much cheaper (do you visit a state park more than 4-8 times per year?), the check method as Rod states, was always the preferred method of payment. You never know who is collecting the $ from the box or how they can afford the 48' motor home that they brought up from Texas to be the "campground host" (why we let them "hire" out of staters to be campground hosts I'll never understand... that should be a local hire position) at the campsites. For the day-parking only areas, who knows what goes on there. I'd never leave cash at an unattended drop box.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •