Thread: Barney's pack from and torso length??

Default Barney's pack from and torso length??

I have been using this pack for a couple years now. Awesome ability to carry the weight on a sheep hunt. One concern though.
    It seems as if maybe it is to long for my torso. If I just stand and put the pack on and tighten all the straps the hip belt rides right acoss the top of my buttocks causing those muscles to fatigue very quickly.
    Wht I have to do is set down with the pack supported on a rock or somthing and then tighten my hip belt above my hips, very tight, and then stand up and begin my trek.
    That fixes the issue but the question is can this be done with the mechanics of the pack or is it a one size fits all?

Thanks for any input
    Jason

The yoke should be able to be lowered which will give you a shorter torso length. I sold my pack quite a while ago so I don't recall if it was possible to raise the waistbelt at all. Adjusting the shoulder harness yoke should accomplish what you need to do though.

Yes. Barney's packframe (if it's this one: http://store.barneyssports.com/FGAFF.html), should have clevis pin you can pull to move the shoulder strap to a lower cross bar. (A couple of extra clevis pins stay taped to my frame just in case). Then using the adjustment on the straps, you can find the fit that works best for you.

I find REI's "Expert Advice" articles to be consistently worthwhile. Here are two for measuring torso length and adjusting backpack fit:
    http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...+hip+size.html
    http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...sting+fit.html

Good luck.

Call the store, I had problems with fit and I took mine in and they adjusted it. They should be able to walk you through it over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    Call the store, I had problems with fit and I took mine in and they adjusted it. They should be able to walk you through it over the phone.
    I'll second that idea & want to give Kudos where they belong.
    I picked up a used Barney's frame a couple of years ago & "kinda" adjusted it for me. It felt better under a load than what I had before so I was happy. Was in Barney's Monday & they were adjusting an old frame for another guy. When the sales/tech guy got done I asked if he would do mine (I was up from Kenai & had it in the truck in case I saw a bear on the road trip). He said "go get it" so I grabbed it. Well he replaced strings & pins & did some MAJOR adjusting, & it is night & day better!
    Thanks to Tyler Andersen of Barney's for a job very well done & a great attitude about his work. He went WAY above & beyond what I asked of him.
    Call 561-5242 & ask for him by name!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The yoke should be able to be lowered which will give you a shorter torso length. I sold my pack quite a while ago so I don't recall if it was possible to raise the waistbelt at all. Adjusting the shoulder harness yoke should accomplish what you need to do though.
    what are you going to be using on your sheep hunt this year? so many packs to choose from.