Thread: Halibut from Shore?

Default Halibut from Shore?

i have heard that you can bank fish for halibut from shore around Ninilchick, and from the docks at seward. is someone pulling my leg or is this for real?

its fairly common to get some off the docks in seward.....hardly bigger than a ping pong paddle usually (seriously).....off the beach in ninilchik it happens, and some might be 10lbs or so.....more likely though youll catch dog shark, sole, flounder, irish lord, or small skates.....

Release Lake Trout

Talking Yes we can....

Quote Originally Posted by cjason3041 View Post
    i have heard that you can bank fish for halibut from shore around Ninilchick, and from the docks at seward. is someone pulling my leg or is this for real?
    I think this was real.....It tasted real, anyhow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I've seen cannery workers in Cordova pull some big buts off of the docks.

cool, thanks for the Info

My preference when there are a lot of non-halibut around is to toss 3-4 oz swimbaits and retreive them by bouncing along the bottom. I have caught 5# - 15# fish this way, but never anything big. If you have the patience (I don't) soaking a half or whole pink salmon head can occasionally get you a bigger fish, particularly if the current is running enough to spread the smell around. A salmon head is tough enough to stay on the hook for a long time, even when irish lords, dogfish, and other small fish are pecking at it. I have seen/heard of some 50# - 70# fish being caught on the dock in Ketchikan.

I spoke to several

I met some guys who were bank fishing near 4th of July creek and they catch halibut there, smaller ones and had a photo of some they caught between Deep Creek and Anchor Point that were bigger than what some of the charters call keepers in Seward. 20 - 30 pounders anyway. they said the tides have to be right and you have to put your time in...Good luck.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Team fishing is best, one of your family members or freinds (the ones who just have to ctch something) tosses out a dropper loop with small circle hooks with fresh bait, usually irish lord fillets, cod fillets, flounder fillets, let it sit tilll they get some nibbles. You then rig a 12/0 16/0 circle hook with a whole flounder, or bigger chunk of irish lord and toss out and wait till it goes running. If you get bored take the small rig from the one who should be catching a bunch of bait fish or small halibut, keep a fresh bait stream going. When I chucked clams in the fall I would toss the guts of clams out and see fish swim to the gut pile. good luck
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com