Thread: Bass spinnerbaits

Default Bass spinnerbaits

I have a some bass spinnerbaits and was just curious if they will do me any good up in Alaska?

I've seen them do a murderous job on king salmon in rivers. Heck, I once had some guys from Minnesota pin my ears good using muskie spinnerbaits they brought with them on a lark. Had all of us searching the catalogs for versions of our own once that trip was over! Best strategy seems to be to throw them upstream and retrieve them back toward you just fast enough so the blades spin and the skim just off bottom.

I know folks that use them for pike too, but that's all second hand.

Thanks, I will keep them than

i will second the pike thing. that was my number 1 lure for pike early or late also buzz baits killed them number 2 was 6 to 8 inch plastic worms with no weight just dead drifting and like jerky baits. so yes keep your bass stuff and try it out.

I use to catch big browns and bows on the Missouri in Montana on crankbait, read the regs twice on the river/stream before you throw any up here though.
    -JB-

"The path of least resistance is what makes both rivers and men crooked"

If you have any Chug Bugs or poppers, they work well too!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Are you guys talking about this type of spinner?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Well that's what I am asking about.

Spinners are deadly on pike. My go to lure for sure. For lake fishing, as soon as the lure hits the water start your retrieve. Keep the lure near the surface so the blades make a little wake, but not so close that they break the surface. Add any sort of plastic tail (mister twister double tails are my fav) for more bulk and more action. Also add a stinger hook for more hook ups.

Quote Originally Posted by wooderson View Post
    Spinners are deadly on pike. My go to lure for sure. For lake fishing, as soon as the lure hits the water start your retrieve. Keep the lure near the surface so the blades make a little wake, but not so close that they break the surface. Add any sort of plastic tail (mister twister double tails are my fav) for more bulk and more action. Also add a stinger hook for more hook ups.
    Exactly. I use many types of southern bassin' lures in Alaska and the pike love 'em.

Or you can use a buzz bait! I like the white ones. Snag free too!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I second, third, fourth, fifth... whatever it is to keep them for pike fishing. I hate loosing a 5 dollar lure fishing for salmon, but that has been a lot less likely with pike. Just a word of warning Kantill, I have lost close to $100 of gear in a single salmon fishing trip. Not always, but some days it can be like that.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

when i moved up from mn for some reason i brought my hole arsenal of spinner baits and my bass tubs/jigs/worms. so when i go out silver fishin this year i am bringing them for sure if i catch silvers on salt impregnanted bass worms i am going to start a revolution!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Definitely bring em,

As said, great for pike, but there is no exclusivity on lures (spinners for sure) as far as what they will catch. Buzzbaits of course are a hoot. I'm thinking of trying them for chum and silver this year....if both like Wogs, why not a bubbler.

Going further, I also brought my full arsenal when I moved up, and while this may get a few poo poo's, char and rainbows will not hesitate to smack a rapala or other crank bait, BUT, put smaller single siwash hooks on em, and read the regs on gap and hook requirements. Pinch the barbs as they are often pretty big and big hooks leave big marks on smaller fish.

Grayling love crappie jigs, and larger jigs with white or green or minnowy tails are great for jigging char, and rainbows eat the heck out of white ones.....again, don't use monster jigs (super thick wire/ gap) as to the damage they can inflict.

And when the pike are all sluggish, a suspending rapala husky jerk is DYNAMITE. They will follow her up, stop your retrieve, and after it sits there in their face for a bit, your next twitch will incite a BIG bite. THere is a lot of spoon throwing up here, but there are many ways to skin a fish.

Got a buddy who is make his own spinner baits for kings using THESE and smaller models for silvers. Noodle around the site for lots of component options and other supplies. Darned cheap and darned fun to be making your own, and easy. His hot colors for kings are various pink or oranges, or black.

I dunno about salted worms, but the most startling silver production I've seen on rivers was a guy using some kind of small salted grub tail on a leadhead. He pinned our ears back! Kept right up with the roe fishermen and beat the pants off lures and flies. Lotta room for experiments with lessons and gear from other waters. Lotta things that don't work, don't work cuzz they've never been tried. I call that kind of untested opinion "keyboard fishing."

they are an amazing pike lure...maybe one of the best.

Can't wait to try them out