Thread: New 6x6 for me...Yeeehaw!

Default New 6x6 for me...Yeeehaw!

Went to the Sportsman's Show in Kenai and bought a 2011 Big Boss 6x6. I first bought a 6x6 in 1998 and it has been a good machine. This one will have a 3,000 lb. Warne Winch, hot grips and the 12 volt plug in. It has a bigger fuel tank which is good and a little more leg room and ground clearance too. No more chains as it is shaft drive. In 13 years I only had chain issues once and we fixed it but I guess the shaft is better. I am not sure of the need for the 800cc engine since the 500cc engine on my other one has plenty of power. If any of you have one I would appreciate good or bad news. I will build a rack on the box and I will be putting spacers and different tires on it next year. Any suggestions on good mud tires for this machine and where to get the spacers? I am trying to sell my 1998 machine for 2,500 bucks if any one is interested.

i'd save the spacers....mud lite xtr's....fuel tank isn't much bigger but it sure burns more...has great power in high gear, i hardly used low unles a big hill, deep mud, ect....you'll love it...enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Went to the Sportsman's Show in Kenai and bought a 2011 Big Boss 6x6. I first bought a 6x6 in 1998 and it has been a good machine. This one will have a 3,000 lb. Warne Winch, hot grips and the 12 volt plug in. It has a bigger fuel tank which is good and a little more leg room and ground clearance too. No more chains as it is shaft drive. In 13 years I only had chain issues once and we fixed it but I guess the shaft is better. I am not sure of the need for the 800cc engine since the 500cc engine on my other one has plenty of power. If any of you have one I would appreciate good or bad news. I will build a rack on the box and I will be putting spacers and different tires on it next year. Any suggestions on good mud tires for this machine and where to get the spacers? I am trying to sell my 1998 machine for 2,500 bucks if any one is interested.
    Congrats sir, that will be one awesome machine for sure.

I am thinking about buying one as well. I have heard rumors that Polaris has reliability concerns, but am thinking that is a rumor. Hope it works out well.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

congrats on the new machine, they are pretty sweet. my hunting partner bought one last year and it worked great.
    he put 27" ITP mud lites and hasn't been too impressed, mostly with durability hasn't complained about the performance. had one flat last year, that had to get tubed and when we pulled it out of winter storage another one was low. I hadn't heard of any other mud lite problems before that, I'm sure other can chime in on that... other than that the tires are awesome. I'm hoping there is still one available as soon as I can sell mine, or maybe a ranger...see you in the mud.

Honestly just try out the stock tires. With 6 wheels churning you dont need a big aggressive tire for the most part. I have been pretty happy with the stock tires. They still look good, despite lots of miles on sharp rock.

The gas tank is too small for these 800's. Gets annoying dumping gas in it all the time.

Dont make your rack too tall, it will snag on trees. Also plan on adding a gas can carrier. You will always want to have at least an extra 5 gallons with you. I actually have two of those flat packs.

I have the 2010 model, pretty much the same as yours, you just got a different front end. So far I really like mine. I think I am up to 350 miles now. So far I just needed the front diff fixed. Something with that ADC failed in it.

Also mine, not sure about yours, has this igniton coil thing under the fender. when you get into water up to that it tends to stall out the motor. Ditto with snow. I might need to find a way to relocate that thing. Mud and what not doesnt bother it, only submerging it.

Also there is another deal under the headlight pod that if you get it wet, it causes the engine to run in governed mode, like as in if your in reverse. So far I have only got this thing wet by hosing the machine off with a garden hose. Its never gotten wet in the rain. And now that I know about it, I just am careful not to get that instrument cluster wet when washing it.

Anyway those are the two quirks I have found with it. All in All this thing has been great. Its comfortable to ride, keeps you clean, goes through major muck, Haul's a good load, I had a whole bull moose in mine. The front tires were floating a little bit, but not bad, I hauled that moose out while going over logs, alders, stumps and weaving through the woods. It never lacked for power.

I think my 98 has a 2.5 gal. tank and my new one has a 4.1 gal. tank. Wish it was twice as big. My wife's 500 Sportsman has a 5 gal. tank. I will get a couple of the "flat pack" tanks and attach them to the side of my rack. I will also carry small jumper cables and a spare battery if I am way out by myself. Tools, air pump, etc. crap, no wonder I have to have a 6 wheeler. As to Polaris reliability, I am no expert but between us and kids we have 5 Polaris ATV's. I have not owned any thing that did not break down sooner or later.

I have 26' mudlites on mine. That's tall enough. Over 1500 miles, almost all off road. No mechanical issues,,, yet. It's a thirsty beast, but will go anyplace you care to go. That four gallon tank will empty in 40 miles or so. Yes, it will haul an entire moose.

You are going to love it .338. I also bought a 2011 and that thing is a beast. I have mine set up exactly like yours. I went with 27" mud lites and just finished a rack for the bed with two gun boots. I did not own the older 6x6 but several of my neighbors at the cabin did so I have been around them a bit. The only thing I wish was better was the fuel mileage. On its first run I got exactly 40 miles on a tank before I had to add fuel. I think it will improve as it gets broke in, but not expecting much better than that. One thing I would suggest is to pull every electrical connection apart and put dielectric grease on the terminals. Doesnt take very long and will prevent some headaches in the future.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

those tires look awesome. I might eat my words and go get a set.

A good friend has two older models and this year he bought a new one it has tracks you remove the wheels and bolt on tracks it is a beast.

I would love to hear some feedback on those tracks. They are 6 grand though. Thats steep

Matt, the tires were definitely worth the investment! I think the tracks are in my future! I figure that a new snowmachine is more than 6 grand so they would be worth it for hauling in lumber to the cabin. My wife enjoys riding atv's over snowmachines too so that part of the battle is won!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Matt, the tires were definitely worth the investment! I think the tracks are in my future! I figure that a new snowmachine is more than 6 grand so they would be worth it for hauling in lumber to the cabin. My wife enjoys riding atv's over snowmachines too so that part of the battle is won!

Yeah if I had a real job to do in the snow like going to the cabin and hauling wood I would be all over the tracks. For right now though the big boss is just a play toy. And I already have a snowmachine for that.