Thread: Marmots

Default Marmots

Is there any market in Alaska for Marmots or are they simply fun shooting?

Why would you want to shoot something, just for the thrill? If you can't eat it, tan it or mount it, why bother?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

You must recover the hides, it is the law. Taxidermists like them to mount with bears and such. They don't want big holes in them though.

My mistake meat or hide Pg. 14 trapping regs.

I sel all my skulls to "Skulls unlimited" I think they pay 5 or10 dollars for marmots, send them an E-mail or give them a call and see what they are i the market for.

don;'t for get to fry it in butter, and yes, thay are fun shooting

Got a buddy say they are exellent eating after they are eating the lowbush blueberries, he said they'd roast them in the coals
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

If your buddies say they are good eating, have them call me and I will let them have some moose meat instead. I used to live in Arkansas and some ate possum, doesn't mean it was right!!! It was mostly roadkill!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

marmot is REALLY good eating. cooked up several on sheep hunts for clients, garlic butter in a skillet or pot...ya thats some smooth stuff! client ate the whole thing. fun to shoot and even fun to stalk, be a riot with a bow. hides are nice and easy skinning meats better than a rabbit and more of it. i'd focus on them for sure.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

They are great eating, a cool little hide, and a ton of fun to shoot.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

If you can, go trap a few..
    There fur is still good in the spring

ill take a marmot over a rabbit anyday......excellent eating and they are fun to watch also.....

Release Lake Trout

Almost a bacon/porkish flavor if I remember right. Been awhile since I ate one, but they are certainly good eats.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Hmm there are 3 of them that live across the street from my house... hello bb gun perhaps...

I would rather eat a rodent in the blueberries than a berry fed griz. Sides that the rodent doesn't want to eat me back
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I have a roadkill porkypine out in front of my house. Any of you above posters want em? Eat marmot? I'm sorry, it is like eating rats and I think I will pass. I have eaten raccoon,snake, alligator and wild boar but I gotta draw the line somewhere. I'll pass and let the little critters enjoy their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    I have a roadkill porkypine out in front of my house. Any of you above posters want em? Eat marmot? I'm sorry, it is like eating rats and I think I will pass. I have eaten raccoon,snake, alligator and wild boar but I gotta draw the line somewhere. I'll pass and let the little critters enjoy their lives.
    Take out the guard hairs and sell em to "Moscow hide and fur" in Idaho, they pay 20-30 dollars for em over 6 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Wait, let me get this strait you will not eat a marmot but you ate a racoon? I would eat a marmot before I ate a raccoon lol.

Yup!!!!!!!!!!!