Thread: Deep Creek May 7th

Default Deep Creek May 7th

Went out for Halibut...nadda, just Irish Lords. But we stayed close to shore.

But did get lucky and hit a king trolling back into shore. No roe, no milt...not even a hint. Stuffed with sandlances.

Here's a vid for the day.
    http://youtu.be/uPQQ4k-cMi0

More details in the Kayaking section...
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ance-pays-off!

Great job, looks like a lot of fun & for the most part it the water conditions look good as well.
    Congradulations, you probably out fished the power boats.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Way cool kardinal-84.
    Fun times and I am sooooooo jealous.I'm going next time........

you think it was a feeder king or one of the early birds?
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Wow! Thanks for posting Kardinal.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    you think it was a feeder king or one of the early birds?
    Timing says early spawner but I have never seen a fish with absolutely zero signs of either milt or roe. The flesh was lighter in color but still orange. Looked VERY fatty. Shape seems a bit different than kings I catch around here and the scales came off immediately like a ocean caught silver. I have no way of telling but it sure could have been a feeder king.

A few pics of the inside (sorry, first one not so appetizing but for scientific reasons...)

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I don't care who ya are that still a nice fish.Love the sea lice hanging out (not to sure about those pants though)

feeder, the scales are set more on the spawners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    I don't care who ya are that still a nice fish.Love the sea lice hanging out (not to sure about those pants though)
    Hey now! Cut me some slack gosh dang it! Haha. I was short on the clean fleece. I was wearing my mario brothers fleece pajamas under that. I was thinking if I get into trouble, I am just going to take my PFD off. No way am I getting saved dressed in this! Ughh...that's a picture worse for the appetite than that internal shot...apologies...but function over form...the ends justify the means!!!!!!

what danmiotke said, feeder kings will have very loose scales that come off easy. A king that is a spawner will have either huge roe or semenal glands. Usually spawners will have redder colored meat, although not always. Keep catching those weird looking kings and you may be lucky enough to get a white king. Every so often you'll catch one and man they are a treat to eat. Must say I am impressed if you can hook, fight and net a king all from your kayak by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    what danmiotke said, feeder kings will have very loose scales that come off easy. A king that is a spawner will have either huge roe or semenal glands. Usually spawners will have redder colored meat, although not always. Keep catching those weird looking kings and you may be lucky enough to get a white king. Every so often you'll catch one and man they are a treat to eat. Must say I am impressed if you can hook, fight and net a king all from your kayak by yourself.
    I had a little net assitance from AKS2000 on this board.

Had the king for dinner and the oil that came off it was crazy. Almost too rich on my favorite parts: The belly and the collar piece. I'm Japanese so in theory there should be no such thing as too rich a fish. lol.

I vote feeder. Looks & ate exactly like this king I caught a few years back 10 miles off the coast of Westport, WA. Though I think this one was headed to the Columbia River at the time so probably not technically a feeder.

Rudy,
    I've been following your adventures for many years now. You are one adventurous guy. Stay safe man. See you out there.

That fish should be in the "What's for Dinner" thread! Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Rudy,
    I've been following your adventures for many years now. You are one adventurous guy. Stay safe man. See you out there.
    Hey thanks! Life's priorities almost KO'd me from fishing but I'm up after a standing eight count and ready to fish as hard as I can. Hope to see ya on the water!!!