Thread: Older Parents Visiting 25 June-Need Recommendations

Talking Older Parents Visiting 25 June-Need Recommendations

Hi folks. My parents are coming up to be with us when our second baby is born. They will be here for a long week starting 25 June. My wife wants me to "get them out of the house".
    Something about driving her crazy?? I would like to take them on some sort of excursion in my "new" boat. I know the reds are coming in late June, but I would like to know what ya'll think would be my best bet for taking them out?? Will the reds be in the salt somewhere I can do a little bit of easy trolling. By easy I mean relaxing, not standing in icy water with old legs that don't work too well anymore. I have fished Valdez for silvers and did ok. My boat is set up with downriggers now and I enjoy fishing that way. Can you catch reds with that method, and if so, where should I go for them? Or should I take them up to the Kashwentna or one of those drainages? They are pretty good at throwing plugs for bass so they would do ok with pixies or vibrax's. I sure would appreciate any info you guys can spare. I am not looking for gps coordinates or anything, just general recommendations so I can show my folks a good time.
    Thanks

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Lots of Options in Late June

Wheelenator,
    It would seem to me in that time frame you have tons of options.There should be silvers in Seward,kings in most rivers,and there are always butts in Homer.A lot depends on how far yo want to drive with the "folks".If they've never been here -a road trip would possibly appeal to them and for your wife--you'd get them out of the house for a while.Decisions---decisions.

It probably should be mentioned that trolling for reds wouldn't work. While they may sometimes be enticed to bite, not nearly to the extent as silvers or kings. Reds tend to hug the shore line, so I imagine a boat might not improve your chances. Like Mark mentioned, fishing for halibut might be the most relaxing thing you can do (if the tides are right, check for low variance between high and low). If you get nice weather, you can easily launch out of Deep Creek and get the best of both worlds-- decent butt fishing and trolling for kings. I'm sure you'll find something with fins.

Thanks for the replies guys. if there are going to be silvers in Seward, count me in. I just wasn't sure about the reds. I enjoy catching them but never heard of anyone fooling with them other than in the rivers. Bear in mind I mentioned my wife giving birth on the 20th of June. That is why she'll want all of us out of the house! Can ya'll give me some suggestions about how to fish for the silvers out of Seward? Rigging, depth, lures, bait, etc?? I fished big flashers in front of herring on them rubber jigs in Valdez and I might need to add to my saltwater equipment. I do not have a great amount of that stuff. But sockeye flies... dang.

June is pretty darn early to target silvers out of Seward. The first few are usually caught in early July, and it doesn't usually heat up until mid July (and that quite a ways out of the harbor). Reds and kings in the freshwater or halibut from a boat would be your best bets as far as I'm concerned.

You know, if you want reds, you could try the middle Kenai. Places like Moose's Meadow and Centennial Park have boardwalks on the water, many of which are handicap accessible (good for old legs too). Just flip drifting, but out of the water.

I do know about Centennial Park, the wife and I stopped by there last year while they were having some sort of town bbq. Somebody had some darn good pastries. I didn't fish since there was a huge crowd down there but the walks are nice. I needed the walks after the pastries.
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas.