Thread: osage 15 and longtail

Default osage 15 and longtail

mainer and others,
    do you think the stumpjumper or copper head long tails in the 6 to 7 hp range would be to much or unsafe for this size canoe? primary use is shallow swamp minimal weight.boat is rated for a 5 hp outboard. Also any thoughts on stumpjumper vs copperhead. both seem to be made well and smaller usa companies. hate to blow a couple grand to get a motor up here and find out it wont work!!!! im leaning towards the stumpjumper 7 hp at 63 lbs.
    thanks for your opinions,
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by AK.airboater View Post
    mainer and others,
    do you think the stumpjumper or copper head long tails in the 6 to 7 hp range would be to much or unsafe for this size canoe? primary use is shallow swamp minimal weight.boat is rated for a 5 hp outboard. Also any thoughts on stumpjumper vs copperhead. both seem to be made well and smaller usa companies. hate to blow a couple grand to get a motor up here and find out it wont work!!!! im leaning towards the stumpjumper 7 hp at 63 lbs.
    thanks for your opinions,
    steve

The only motor I would use would be the copperhead 6.5, and on the contrary.........you'll want at least 400 lbs of weight in the boat to help stabilize it because yah don't have much beam or length to work with.....weight is your freind. No long tail for your canoe......ask Boud'arc on that one.

I put a long tail on my 16ft coleman sq stern. It's home made and I used a 3hp briggs. I am probably going to install a 5hp birggs. I will say though that this is not the most safe thing I have done. When you strike bottom, especially mud, the prop will act like a small tire on the end of a long axel and will dig is way around to the starboard side of your canoe in a hurry. From there, it will try to tip your canoe over by pushing on the side. I have used mine in Jim Creek a couple of times and it's a little tricky at the mouth. I am not familiar with your canoe or the motors you are asking about but I would go with the lower HP as it will be easier to control when it digs in. I'm not the only one that has put a long tail on a canoe but I'm not going to say it's safe either. It is very managable until you hit bottom.