Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Swan Lake low

  1. #1
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default Swan Lake low

    Took a ride Friday up Jim Creek to swan lake. Never been back there this early before. Was really surprised how low the water level is all over, Jim Creek lower then I've ever seen it, several logs across the creek to run over, the lake itself was also very low. No water at all past where the little string of islands comes out from the left shore. I'm sure this must be normal low water for early spring, but just seemed unusual for me. Bud

  2. #2

    Default

    Having conducted many early season trips and waterfowl habitat surveys in the area, I believe this is the norm until high country snow melt contributes.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Having conducted many early season trips and waterfowl habitat surveys in the area, I believe this is the norm until high country snow melt contributes.
    Having watched a few ice cubes melt in my whiskey glass, I would have to agree. Up to a point...as soon as the ice melts, the water level begins to lower, due to gravity and evaporation.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Having watched a few ice cubes melt in my whiskey glass, I would have to agree. Up to a point...as soon as the ice melts, the water level begins to lower, due to gravity and evaporation.
    Marvelous scientific contribution - now if we melt enough ice cubes in whiskey glasses we can double the size of Swan Lake ....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Juneau, AK
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Having watched a few ice cubes melt in my whiskey glass, I would have to agree. Up to a point...as soon as the ice melts, the water level begins to lower, due to gravity and evaporation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Marvelous scientific contribution - now if we melt enough ice cubes in whiskey glasses we can double the size of Swan Lake ....
    Hehehe, hey Akres, he means that the river and ground water levels are low until the snow higher up starts to melt and recharge the drainage. He's not talking about ice cubes in Swan Lake.

    Down here our glacier fed creeks and rivers are still really low because the snow level is still at 1500-2000 ft. Once the warm rain moves in, they'll all jump.

    Erich

  6. #6

    Default

    Heck, I thought Bronco's idea about raising Swan Lake by drinking whiskey was pretty good. We have agreed on something at last! :-)
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

  7. #7

    Default bump

    Anyone been back there recently?

  8. #8
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    alright so all we have to do is have a waterfowler party at swan lake this late summer and catch silvers and drink whiskey and the lake will rise. its simple thermal dynamics...i am in
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  9. #9
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    698

    Default

    I think we would be better off just drinking a bunch of cheep beer. Everyones got to pee, am I right.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    281

    Default

    New up here but long time bird hunter, I'll do my part to drink provided beverages. Did mention new to here and not to hunting right? Surely don't think the new guy provides the booze or the solutions, only a warm body to assist and further current efforts. Excuse me, but I noticed the toilet was low.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg400 View Post
    Anyone been back there recently?
    Was back there this Thursday and the waters are up some, but still low compared to most other years. Did my bit to bring the levels up some in the spirit of this thread.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •