Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Rhino Lining above the water line on aluminum

  1. #1

    Default Rhino Lining above the water line on aluminum

    My boat is all aluminum with no paint at this time. I would like to use a rhino lining of sorts on the boat instead of paint. Ive seen it on boats but is this something you can prep and do your self or should it be handled by a "proffesional".

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Anything you do to aluminum can lead to corrosion. Paint can trap moisture under edges and will lead to bad corrosion. I have used ( Speed Liner) on aluminum, wood and glass boats with good results for nonskid decks and to seal fish holds. Post your contact info and I will contact you if you want more info. Just to let you know Speed Liner can be made any color!

  3. #3

    Default

    This is the boat I would like to do this on.boat.JPG

  4. #4

    Default

    I would do nothing...
    no added weight...no added maintenance.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5

    Default

    When we bought the boat the sides are all scratched and dinged like someone tied it to a dock up tight agaist a steel pole Id just like to make it look a little better. The scratchs are deep enough that They would have to be ground out but Im not sure what that would make the rest of the boat look like..But I do see your point less weight less maintance.

  6. #6

    Default

    For cosmetics, I would simply sand and buff the sharp points, so they don't present a hazard. Use alodine in crevices, nooks and crannies for corrosion control and naval gel for making the rest of the boat purty.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    MGH55:

    Make a good point putting anything over aluminum and that include aluminum if not done correctly can corrode the aluminum and S.S.. I donít have a lot of experience in the area. What I do know is the area needs to seal from air and water getting between the metal and what every you use make sure its neutral (not acid base) this may include some rubber products. One area everybody needs to check is where fuel tanks are touching.

    Yes, Aluminum and S.S. is corrosion resistance, this is true IF a oxide can form over the metal protecting it not you need to protect it from air and water.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    The only time to paint a boat that looks that good is if you are going to dock it in salt water for the summer and then only the bottom and to do it right will run around $100.00 PER FT. Tape off and cover, sand blast, prime with two voats 235 then three coats E-paint SN1.

  9. #9
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    I say hire a couple college girls in bikinis with buffers..... it might take a while.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I say hire a couple college girls in bikinis with buffers..... it might take a while.
    I agree how bout these Lake Louise girls...Ugly.jpg

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    I agree how bout these Lake Louise girls...Ugly.jpg
    That that has been seen...Can't be Un-seen!!! Excuse me...I gotta go wash my eyes out with bleach!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member Stanly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    954

    Default

    I looked into Rhino lining for the bow deck, floor and sides on my 22' SeaArk. Only had to talk to the guy for a couple of minutes, BIG BUCKS!!!!!! He went into detail about aluminum and what they have to do to prep it, strip it, etch it, prime it, coat it. Thousands of dollars. That pretty much did it for me. Some alternatives...

    https://www.nonskidpaint.com/index.php

    http://www.interstateproducts.com/nonslipproducts.htm

    and I love Lake Louise Girls!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

  13. #13
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    took the aluminum panels off my deck and had them rino lined, they got real heavy and didnt last long, they peeled off in heavy slabs. Now my deck is buffed? and then non skid strips used.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  14. #14

    Default

    Hey Thanks guys I was really pushing to do this UNTIL I got these responses. I think I'll pass on the rhino lining now. Enjoy the ladies guys...There all yours....

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Hey Thanks guys I was really pushing to do this UNTIL I got these responses. I think I'll pass on the rhino lining now. Enjoy the ladies guys...There all yours....
    Sure...like a Gas Station, just pull in and ask for directions, dump your trash and leave...
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Thorne Bay, AK
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Now that I have gotten over the "babes", can someone explain to me how the aluminum in salt water boats is treated to limit corrosion? How about my old Grumman canoe that I am thinking about bringing up with me. Do you know if that metal is processed the same? I don't want to bring it up and use it in salt and have it get nasty like akdube's harem.

  17. #17

    Default

    Bring your canoe...Lots of uses for that up here and if you dont think so they are worth more up here for resale..

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default Rhino-Lining

    I have a 1972 Smokercraft flat bottom boat that came with the cabin I bought. Ugly doesn't describe it well enough and then add about 20 odd years of throwing sealant on the bottom to keep it from leaking (before I inherited it). I spent a weekend and ground off all the sealant and about 10 layers of paint. I then went to walmart and bought the 1 gallon cans of Herculiner (I think is the name) and put two coats on the inside floor up about 4 inches off the bottom (ended up using either 2 or 3 gallons). I also covered the bottom of the boat with two coats. No more leaking. It does slow it down a bit since I put it on the bottom, however, I use mine simply as a barge or to run up the creek and play around fishing with the kids. It doesn't leak and the bottom will come off if put on a trailer or dragged, but it is simple enough to re-coat it. I think a gallon was roughly $40 or so.

    Good luck.

  19. #19
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Anything you do to aluminum can lead to corrosion. Paint can trap moisture under edges and will lead to bad corrosion. I have used ( Speed Liner) on aluminum, wood and glass boats with good results for nonskid decks and to seal fish holds. Post your contact info and I will contact you if you want more info. Just to let you know Speed Liner can be made any color!
    How does the Speed Liner work on fiberglass? Can be applied to hull sides? You say you used it on fish hold so i'm thinking it can be applied smooth. How does it hold up to things banging into it? like shrimp pots hitting the side of the boat when hauled up.
    how is it applied? roller brush?? whats a gallon cover and how thick can it be built up? Whats a gallon cost? Can it be done at home while boat is on a trailer or does the boat have to go to a shop?

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  20. #20
    Member pacific23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Whitesboro, Texas
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Thought I bought my ALLOY boat so I DON'T have to paint or polish.
    Just keep running it and it will turn dark gray all over. If you don't like that , buff it out and apply Shark Hide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •