Thread: Ruger Alaskan

Default Ruger Alaskan

In spite of it's poor availability as of late the Ruger Alaskan has certainly gained popularity around the country. Even with the short barrel people are amazed at it's accuracy, and how easy it is to control for being such a short handy gun. The two calibers that seem to be the most desirable are the 454, and 480. Up until the last few days, rumors of the 480 were as close as people have come to one. Recently Ruger has done a "clean up" run in this caliber. Admittedly the number is relatively small, but it's available. Based upon what the few 454's that come on the market through Gun Broker it may not be inexpensive but these days what gun is? I have one or two available at this time and there is an ad in the classifieds. This is NIB. Others may be available locally but trust me when I say darn few made it here to Alaska. In general, my sources at Ruger tell me they are extremely back ordered on this popular handgun. Seems double actions guns, require a fair amount of hand work to get them the way Ruger wants them. With the retirement of several employees over the last few years, it's taken some time to get new employees up to speed so to speak but their spead is about half of what the experienced employees were. With increased demand, for their product and slower production, you better be ready to jump if you see what you are looking for on the shelf.

Default Ballistics?

Any anyone chronographed either caliber in the Alaksan esp with the heaviest bullets? It seems most agree that we want to push the heaviest bullets possible for the intended purpose in AK.

When I was in GNGs yesterday the salesman told me he had already seen one come in with the cylinder and top strap bolwn off from an overload. Seems like some people never stop pushing the envelope!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Original post deleted by moderator

If you have questions/complaints about the item in the classified contact the seller directly.
    Last edited by Snyd; 05-09-2011 at 09:56.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

It's a great gun and I would be happy to own one. Right now I have my eye out for a Blackhawk, but I'm sure someday I'll get the big bore snubby bug and see if I can't find one.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Original post deleted by moderator

If you have questions/complaints about the item in the classified contact the seller directly
    Last edited by Snyd; 05-09-2011 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    It's a great gun and I would be happy to own one. Right now I have my eye out for a Blackhawk, but I'm sure someday I'll get the big bore snubby bug and see if I can't find one.
    What caliber/configuration are you looking for in a Blackhawk?

.357, 4 5/8 or close, all black.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"