Thread: What is your method for rebaiting.

Default What is your method for rebaiting.

Do you think going in and filling your barrel spooks bears away?

What about walking through the scented area and then tracking it up into the tree stand?

So, when you go into your stand and it has been cleaned out, what method do you use to re-bait it.

Ziplok bags over boots?

Do you bait it and leave for a few then come back quietly so they think you are gone?

What do you think?

I don't even bother trying to cover my sent. I think the bears come to think when they smell me the dinner bells been rung. I've no sooner got done rebaiting and climbed up into my stand and had bears come in minutes later....both black and brown.

Quote Originally Posted by terbear747 View Post
    I don't even bother trying to cover my sent. I think the bears come to think when they smell me the dinner bells been rung. I've no sooner got done rebaiting and climbed up into my stand and had bears come in minutes later....both black and brown.
    Nice, good to hear.

Until I started using the de-scenting stuff, they would wait till I left. Last year, I would stay in the stand for 15 hours, and my camera would show them eating 20 minutes after I left.

I also moved my stand further back and higher in the tree, hoping that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    Do you think going in and filling your barrel spooks bears away?

What about walking through the scented area and then tracking it up into the tree stand?

So, when you go into your stand and it has been cleaned out, what method do you use to re-bait it.

Ziplok bags over boots?

Do you bait it and leave for a few then come back quietly so they think you are gone?

What do you think?
    As terbear said, bears can be literally within spitting distance of the bait when you go fill it. I don't think it spooks them much as long as you aren't making a huge ruckus. Several times I've gone in, milled around the site, baited it, climbed in the stand and not 5 min later a bear pops out of the brush.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I try to make the same noises, etc. Bang on the bait barrel, etc. Nothing special they are close!

I take my dog in initially. She lets me know if there is a bear on the bait. I don't chance a shot when showing up because you don't have the look that you have in the stand. There could be a cub up a tree somewhere or a bigger bear that you don't see. I figure, if they were on the bait, they will be back to get more once things settle down. That is always the case.

Remember to leave your human scent at the site. You've got to condition them to it as opposed to them being spooked by it.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    I also moved my stand further back and higher in the tree, hoping that helps.
    My stands are 23 yards from the barrel and 17 feet up. I've been sitting in it and had bears smack into the ladder going between it and the tree to get to the barrel. Guess they thought it was a piece of brush or something. Tends to wake one up when you're getting that afternoon nap in
    181.jpg
    Pic from last year. Got the same site set up this year.

I don't do anything special either I think every bear has its own personality most bears can't resist a meal. However some bears are conditioned to human pressure especiallyin areas of high hunting pressure. I have had bears circle my stand and try to get downwind of me to try to get a smell. I have also had bears come right in like they own the place. Again try to find a area where pressure is light and bear numbers are good and have good smelly stuff and be on the stand during key times and you will be eating bear backstraps.

Best of Luck
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

I used to wear the same shirts woodcutting until I could not stand the stink. Then I'd go hang them at the bait site so my smell was always there. Don't know if it helped or hurt.
    I've hauled in bait, left for load 2, returned, and found bears on the barrel. I've also gone in, and while baiting, looked up and had bears about 10 yards away sitting on the edge of the brush waiting. That one time I had 2 partners already up in the tree stand. I looked up, got their attention, and pointed the bear out. They thought that was cool. Thinking that they would cover my retreat I backed up slowly, keeping my eyes on the bear, and when I got to the log to cross the creek to the stand, turned. When I looked up at them they were both just sitting there, no gun in hand, nothing, enjoying the show. I walked the log, turned back, and the bear had followed me and stopped at the other end of the log. I was done being stealthy and hollered at the guys to pick up a darn gun and protect me, as I was not armed myself.
    The bear, a youngster, just turned, walked back to the barrel, and started to eat while I got up in the stand. You just never know what a bear is going to do.
    ARR