Thread: De-scenting. To what lengths do you go.

Default De-scenting. To what lengths do you go.

How many different steps do you go through to make sure that you are scent free for your bear stand.

Soap? Deoderant? Laundry detergent? Piss bottle in the stand?

What all do you do?

OK, I'll go first.

For the whole bear season I will use the descenting liquid soap and deoderant. I will wash any clothes that are going to the bear stand in the descenting laundry detergent. Any gear that can't go in the washer (harnesses, etc) get washed with the detergent in the sink. I spray my backpacks and the like with the scent-away spray bottles.

You might find this part a little weird. I get to the ridgeline just below the last rise to my stand and strip naked. I air dry and then put on my scent-lok layers. I put the sweaty clothes in a bag and stash them to grab on the hike out. Then I only have about 200 yards to go to my stand and I have dry and descented clothes on.

Absolutely nothing. I piss all around the bait area and leave sweaty clothing. Bears don't seem to mind me at all.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I just try to figure out what direction the wind usually blows and set my stand accordingly. Other than that I dont do much to block my scent. As good as a bears sence of smell is I dont think anything is going to make it so they dont smell you if you are directly up wind you will get busted.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Absolutely nothing. I piss all around the bait area and leave sweaty clothing. Bears don't seem to mind me at all.
    Same here, I try to get the bears used to my scent.

Absolutely nothing. They will know you are there. Leave chairs in the stand, etc. Your scent gets around every time you are there.

Seems like I may be doing a lot of work for nothing.

Dont waste your time "scent proofing"

I use unscented soap for my hunting stuff as a general rule, not because of bear hunting. For myself, while bear baiting, I usually wear bug juice and have it spread all over the place at my stand. In fact, I dumped a whole bottle on the trees around my stand two days ago. I've had several black bears approach while I'm baiting so I'm inclined to think that they don't think very highly of my shooting or they just plain don't care.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I leave a shirt or two near my barrel tied off to a tree so they are used to my scent and associate it with the area. Just try not to go over board.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    same here, but piss in the creek, so don't fill up your water bottle down stream everybody! Had pic of my big bear I killed sniffing my shirt, then I woke up and shot him at 2am!
    That scent stuff is a crock of poo in my mind, it smells coming out of the bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use sport wash, keeps fabric breathing and no dryer sheets needed. Eliminates UV light, so you don't glow in the moon light or early morning! That is all I do.

If your baiting. you want your scent to be known as the same as the bait... piss all over leave an old shirt. I had a bear take my old shrit last year and rip the heck out of it. Then leave it at the bottom on my stairs to my stand??? I shot him a couple days later Kinda upset he riped my shirt.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I take a couple shirts and lay them out on the table. I swipe them with our deodorant, shampoo, soap, and spray them with bug dope. Then when we re-bait I place the shirts on nearby stumps. Not sure how effective it is, since our clothes are impregnated with scent lures. But generally bears come in within minutes of us re-baiting, or within an hour of us sitting the station.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Nothing, piss, spit etc.... They like my smell, it = food.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Same here, I try to get the bears used to my scent.

I don't de-sent anything. No scent-lok, carbon clothes, unscented deoderant, nothing. I dip Copenhagen so I make sure I have a dip in when I put out bait and spit around the area. I take a leak near the tree where I hang my webcam. The bears get used to the scent and don't care. I have tons of bear come into my stand every year. Trying to be scent free is a lot of work for nothing.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Yea, no descenting. I ride my wheeler out so anything I do would have to take place after that. Too much work for a bear that looks at me in my tree and just keeps on munching.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Nothing, piss, spit etc.... They like my smell, it = food.
    I agree, the first year I tried to be scent free, it seemed to just spook em more when I was there. Now it is piss and spit every time I go to the stand. had about 20 bears at the stand last year. I had a sow and cub within 5 yards of me and shot my boar while walking into the stand and I am sure I smelled after walking a mile in.
    -Caleb-