Thread: Inexpensive fly outfit for Kenai reds?

Default Inexpensive fly outfit for Kenai reds?

Hello everyone,

Last year while fishing reds I would often tangle my line around the handle of my spinning reel. A few times I would feel the bump of a fish only to realize my line was tangled and I could not reel the fish in.

This year, I thought it would be a good idea to get an inexpensive fly outfit for Kenai and Russian reds but I dont know anything about fly rods or reels.

Just hoping to get a few suggestions here.

Thanks in advance
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

You want a 7 or 8 weight. Since you want inexpensive I don't have a brand name. I like Sage. FYI flyfishing is 2 doors down

Hey Jonathan!
    We switched over to fly rods years ago; hit up TW for an outfit but try to get it early as they can sell out. I started with a Cabela's Two Forks combo 8 wt; was about a hundred bucks. I still have it and it's been indestructible for me and all the other amateurs it's seen. I now have a Lamiglas 9 wt from TW for a backup; it's just a tad bit heavier than the 8 but the tip is a little stiffer, giving a little more control over the fish, not as much fun tho. Important; go with a large arbor reel! again, expensive not important; take care of it and back off the drag after the day's fishing, plus keep the reel out of the sand/dirt.
    No fly line, just have TW put some backing on then go to straight mono; no other flyline and you'll be fine.
    Will be up July 15th thru Aug. 4 if you wanna catch a ride up stream.
    Jim

Oh yeah sorry. Wasnt paying attention when I posted. Should have been in freshwater or flyfishing.

Jim, I'll be around then. Lets meet up.
    I'll send you a PM.

I was at Cabelas today here in Idaho and saw that exact combo. I thought of getting it but didnt want to fly with more stuff.
    Probably just hit Trustworthy like you said.

Someone else mentioned Ugly stik fly rods as well. Havent seen any in the shops so I wonder how heavy they are. They're only $60.

P.S. Jim your inbox is full

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Hey Jonathan!
    We switched over to fly rods years ago; hit up TW for an outfit but try to get it early as they can sell out. I started with a Cabela's Two Forks combo 8 wt; was about a hundred bucks. I still have it and it's been indestructible for me and all the other amateurs it's seen. I now have a Lamiglas 9 wt from TW for a backup; it's just a tad bit heavier than the 8 but the tip is a little stiffer, giving a little more control over the fish, not as much fun tho. Important; go with a large arbor reel! again, expensive not important; take care of it and back off the drag after the day's fishing, plus keep the reel out of the sand/dirt.
    No fly line, just have TW put some backing on then go to straight mono; no other flyline and you'll be fine.
    Will be up July 15th thru Aug. 4 if you wanna catch a ride up stream.
    Jim

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

sodabiscuit12345,
    I picked up an Okuma 8wt 9' combo at Trustworthy with backing and floating line for $110 out the door.Works great for flipping reds not too heavy good action an it'll whip fish.

Soda,

I have observed the spinners and I have observed the fly guys, and I've done both. Either is deadly if art and rhythm are known.
    Yet, I can't help but think the fly guy has a little more edge in lift/present/and retrieve.

You're in the zone. Think stout...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Sody-
    Bernard is right, flyguys have a better edge with better sensitivity thru the rod. Here's an "ADN Fishing Dude" episode that speaks to exactly that (let this video load first, it's jerky to start). Only thing wrong with the theory was I didn't catch a thing that day (I blame it on the high water in Ship Creek), but I went on to buy a combo from Dan Bailey for my first fly setup and had a blast at the Russian the next year...Enjoy man!

You don't wanna do the fly rod thing.... you'll look like another yuppie from northern California with all his Cabelas gear and flies, and nice rods and screwy hats...... be a real Alaskan, bait caster and 50# test.

Lol. No it's all cool. The fly guys have more fun, but the others catch more fish, so we win
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

HAHA! Trust me man, I'm all for catching more fish, but I am so un-coordinated when I fish that I keep getting tangled with my spinning gear. Also, Ive never cast a bait caster without getting a birds nest so that is not really the route I want to go.

Ask BrianM about my first trip out with him. I didnt know how to land my first red so when a hooked fish got close, I would grab the leader and throw the fish onto shore.
    That kind of inability with a rod means I need help. I think the fly rod might be the answer for less tangles.

Dont worry. My rods are very ugly and my hats arent screwy

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    You don't wanna do the fly rod thing.... you'll look like another yuppie from northern California with all his Cabelas gear and flies, and nice rods and screwy hats...... be a real Alaskan, bait caster and 50# test.

Lol. No it's all cool. The fly guys have more fun, but the others catch more fish, so we win

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    HAHA! Trust me man, I'm all for catching more fish, but I am so un-coordinated when I fish that I keep getting tangled with my spinning gear. Also, Ive never cast a bait caster without getting a birds nest so that is not really the route I want to go.

Ask BrianM about my first trip out with him. I didnt know how to land my first red so when a hooked fish got close, I would grab the leader and throw the fish onto shore.
    That kind of inability with a rod means I need help. I think the fly rod might be the answer for less tangles.

Dont worry. My rods are very ugly and my hats arent screwy
    And there lies your problem, you DON'T cast, you "flip". You pull out a bunch of line with your left hand and "flip" the rod with the right hand (if your a righty like me) and it will flip the fly out into the water to drift down.

You won't get tangles.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

There is an Alaskan twist to the fly rod thing that I have seen many times on the Kenai. Instead of fly line I have seen heavy stiff mono line on the reel they usually cast with a couple of heavy split shot sinkers two feet up from the fly. That set up is less expensive than a good sinking tip flyline. I use about a ten foot piece of Scientific Angelers Deep Water Express and a sinking line to get the fly down to the fish.

Another reason I think flyrods do better than spinning rods when playing out a fish is that they are longer with more give. When a salmon especially kings snap their heads from side to side there is more give and the hook is less likely to pull out. With a flyrod you really need a good hook set when you realize you have a strike.

One last thought is that the flyline has more resistance in the water and the line tends to belly out down stream putting more of a down stream pull on the hook, the fish will tend to swim against the resistance so the fish fights you and the current up stream , fewer down stream bailouts which is usually a losing situation for the angler.

The secret to catching lots of reds is a long leader when using a baitcaster and weight. I also use the deepwater express fast sinking line if I use my flyrod. I usually do better with the baitcaster and Kenai Special though.

I have a Cabela's Two Forks combo 8 wt as well. I am still a beginner but I have tried a couple of buddies expensive rods and I still really like my Cabela.

I started with an Ugly Stick, 8 wt, then graduated to a 6 wt that I made from a G Loomis blank. It is 10 ft long- the extra foot makes "flipping" much easier--a rod length of line gets you out 20 ft!! The Ugly Stick is durable, but is tiring in a long day, a better rod for trolling than for flippin IMHO. I love the Loomis with a sinking line.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I ended up getting 3 fly rods off ebay for $30 each. 6, 8 and 10wt.
    All 4 pieces w/tube.

Read some reviews online before buying them and it appears they are very well built, but since the maker isnt well known, he's discounting his product to get it out there.

This is really the review that made me press the buy button:

So, I got this RiverBeast "Beast" rod and test drove it a couple days back. Very moderate action, which I am not used to; Even slower than my TFO Finesse rods. I had to deliberately slow everything down to cast it, but after a few strokes it was working like magic. It's not going to zing any tight loops under overhanging brush, but it drops a fly like half a snowflake falling. Roll casts great. The finish is comparable to, if not better than my TFO PRO. Really sturdy buttcap and locks, with graphite reel seet. It's no Winston cork, but I've seen worse corks on $600 Sages. My only real complaint is the graphic with the name on it; it looks like a matchbox car decal, not a fly rod logo. It looks like a 150 rod should look and performs with ease.

And today, I was visiting the Sportsman's warehouse in Boise, ID and they had the Okuma SLV's on sale for $39.99.
    So I bought a 6/7 and an 8/9. I figure these will work on all 3 rods.

So I got 3 sets up for $170.

Its more than I wanted to pay for 1 flipping rod, but Ive always wanted to learn how to fly fish and I did get 3 set-ups for that price so Im happy.
    I'll cut back on a couple of nights of drinking to even out my 'play' expenses