Thread: First Post

Default First Post

Hey everybody,

I've been lurking around this forum for quite a while and finally decided to post.

Here's a little background:

I'm 20 years old, love to hunt, fish, hike, play sports, and spend every penny I earn on gear to do all of those things. I grew up in Cordova and within the last 4 years moved to Nor Cal because of my dad's job. I just finished my first year of college this year. After I graduate I'm planing on coming back up, but most likely to somewhere on Prince of Wales island (have some family there). I've worked at at Boardwalk Lodge in Thorne Bay and love everything about the island.

My only concern is the waterfowl hunting aspect of the island. Anybody have any info or experience on hunting in that area.

Thanks

Sure wish my only concern was if there are ducks to shoot.When I was 20 I might have asked how many girls live on POW island.
    O, I thought you where making your first post, now I understand it is about fist and ducks.

JB34.......sorry couldn't resist, anywho, ever do any airboating there in Cordova? I was wondering if Maybe I could pick your brain?

A bit for moose hunting.... never owned one myself but got to borrow a friends quite a bit.

Mom got drawn for a bull moose tag and she refused to go back out on the airboat after the first day. She ended up cruising the main road for the rest of the hunt and picking off an small 2 year old.

I've kind of been eyeballing the marten river drainage.........thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum

I've made that trip a few times. HUGE rainbows and tons of waterfowl out that way. Never had much luck as far as moose go, but there sure were a lot of bears. We took my dad's 20' flat bottom with a 65 honda jet with me and 2 other guys. Just keep your eyes on the water or you might run out of it.

Did you a police chief by the last name of Clayton over there, I work with him, heck of a nice guy. He said he really enjoyed the time he lived over there.

Yeah I saw him around town and my Dad chatted with him from time to time. Cordova is a great little town, but no one was safe from all of the politics that go on there. I would go back though.

did you guys access the martin river down the copper or on one of the sloughs next to the river?

We launched from a little pullout on the side of the road that fed directly into the copper. There are plenty of areas to put in, especially if your running an airboat. I've seen guys drop their airboats onto the road gun it straight into the river.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Sure wish my only concern was if there are ducks to shoot.When I was 20 I might have asked how many girls live on POW island.
    Well if everything goes according to plan, I'll be spoken for by the time I get up there. Either way, I'd rather be chasing ducks and bucks.