Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge Center Console XL Sport Jet Build Has Begun

Default Wooldridge Center Console XL Sport Jet Build Has Begun

Just got my first picture from Glen showing the beginning stages of the build. I have really enjoyed the pictures and commentary shared by others during their XLSJ build, and have been looking forward to doing the same. At this point it's hard to tell, but this will be the first Center Console XLSJ to head for Alaskan waters ( I know that the XL has been made with a center console in an outboard configuration, but a person has to make their claim to fame somehow :-)

I have owned the Wooldridge 17' Alaskan and 20' Alaskan II. Both were open boats with Center Consoles, and were great fishing platforms. I can't wait to get this boat on the river and do some fishing. The open configuration, and extra width of the XL model, combined with the incredible maneuverability and performance of a Sport Jet is going to create an awesome fishing machine.

Thanks again to others who have shared their Wooldridge build experiences on this forum, and I'll post updates as the build progresses.

That's gonna be a great boat. But I hope you have strong arms and steady feet or you might get tossed out of that river rocket.

You're going to love the room and "footprint" on the water. Like fishing from a dance floor!

Rob, I have developed pretty good balance, and a decent kung-fu grip driving my other center console boats, but will definitely have to hang on a little tighter with this one :-). Cobble Cruiser, I'm definitely stoked about the available fishing real-estate in this boat. It will be set up with one fixed seat on a storage box in front of the center console, and four removable pedestal seats (2 forward, 2 aft). This way I have class A rated seats for 5 folks, or remove the 4 pedestal seats and have a totally open boat to fish from. I love your comment that the the XL is "like fishing from a dance floor". Glen needs to put that statement on the XL web page!

Glad to see they have started your boat already Randy. Are you going to get a console with a windshield that slides up or down, Grant posted some pics of an inboard agency boat with a motor forward set up with that type of console/windshield. Are you going with a 20 or 23?
    I hope you old AK II made it down to BC ok?

XLSJ, that is going to be a fishing machine! A comfortable one at that.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-10-2011 at 22:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    With the 76" bottom, I just thought it would stack neatly inside.
    Which end is the stern so we can start stackin'?

Smile Build Update

Howdy Folks,

Just got another photo from Glen, the hull is shaping up nicely. Pretty soon we should have pictures showing some of the features that I added. Todd, it is the 20' model. I would have liked to have had the sliding windshield, but had to stop spending money at some point. I believe that I seen the agency boat when I was there in April, sweet set-up. Allamar, thanks for the kind words, I can't wait to get the finished product!

A few more pictures today, she's coming together nicely. The welder working on the boat has been working for Wooldridge for around 30 years. That kind of experience sure makes you feel good about the quality of their boats.

Lookin good!! I'll be hitting the rivers for the first time tomorrow in my xlsj...going to be a long night !!
    2016 Hewescraft Alaskan 260...

Default Progress

Thanks BigSu, I'm definitely envious that you will be on the river tomorrow. This is the first time in a long time that I will not have a boat for King fishing, but July will be here soon enough and there will still be Silvers and fall Trout fishing. Congrats on your new XLSJ, I think if I was you I would have to go to the boat launch tonight and sleep in the truck:-) Here's another picture from Glen, looks like lots of fishing room!

XLSJ...? Is this the fellow who sold his Alaskan II down to BC?

Pilebuck, I did recently sell my AK II to a gentlemen on Vancouver Island. It was a great boat. if I hadn't taken a ride in TJM's XL Sport Jet last fall and decided that I had to have one, I would have never sold it.

Cool, we were out denting it up a couple days ago, lol. Nice skiff, plenty of power.

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck View Post
    Cool, we were out denting it up a couple days ago, lol.
    now that's funny... Pics?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Unfortunately I left my camera at home.

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck View Post
    Unfortunately I left my camera at home.
    bah!...well, plenty of summer left to fix that
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Pilebuck, sounds like Perry is enjoying the boat, tell him I said hello I hope to actually be able to meet him some day.

Evening folks, here are a couple of recent pictures showing the step deck, with locking storage compartment and fish box.

Default Build Update

Evening to all,

A couple more photos of recent progress and a few custom features like the anchor bulkhead, fish box and dry storage box in the bow. I also had the full width swim step added to haul more stuff (coolers, totes..). Thanks to all who have shared my enthusiasm during the build so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast