Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 10 mm Glock 20 or Colt Delta Elite?

Default Which 10 mm Glock 20 or Colt Delta Elite?

With the purpose of handgun hunting for deer sized animals which 10 mm would be a better choice? Why?

EKC,

I have both.

Colt Delta Elite: In the mid 1980's I was a FFL dealer. I was part of a a letter writing campaign to manufacturers to re-introduce the 10mm following the death of the Bren Ten. In the mid-80's a few manufacturers listened and did come out with their 10mm pistols. I don't know if our letters had any impact but we tried. My 10mm is an early version, serial number of 00023xx and it works as advertised.

Colt:

Accuracy: Very consistant. At least as good as most Colt 1911's.
    Finish: Stainless Steel
    Reliability: No failures to feed (except when overly dirty and dry), fire, eject and I have a few thousand rounds through it.
    Recoil: Sharp, fast, significant enough the it kicked the white dots out of the rear sight within the first year of use.
    Customizing: Similar to any 1911 out there.

Glock 20 SF
    : I've owned it for 6 months and I really like it. I bought this because I want to preserve my Colt 10mm until I can be buried with it when I die (who says you can't take it with you?). The G20 was a really good purchase.

Glock:
    Accuracy: I haven't shot from a rest or really worked on accuracy but I can tell you from the offhand position it shoots consistently and very well in my hands.
    Finish: Standard Glock. Fairly weather resistant to some extent.
    Reliability: 150 rounds so far. Flawless.
    Recoil: It felt much lighter with the exact ammo. Perception or reality? Not sure but since it felt real I believe it. Less flip to it.
    Barrel: You'll probably want the Lone Wolf or comparable barrel to shoot hard cast bullets, so there may be a 120.00 mod needed.
    Customizing: Look at Lone Wolf and you will see some neat options. You can get a long-slide and beef up your velocity which beefs up your energy levels at impact. Compete assembled long-slides and barrels are pricey. You can get around that by using a drop-in 6 inch barrel with the original slide. With the long-slide you have a greater sighting plane which may assist you with making a more precision shot.

Here's an option... Do you like the 45 also? If so buy a G20 then you have a 10mm. Then go to Lone Wolf and get them to assemble a slide and barrel for a G21, the 45 ACP. The G20 and the G21 are the SAME frame. You can swap mags and upper assemblies (complete slides) and have 2 pistols.

I love the 1911's but for ME I think that the G20 with a 6 inch is the way for ME to go. I have yet to order the Lone-Wolf long-slide but that will happen in time.

Ammo: Look for Doube Tap ammo...they have really good specs... http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...hp?cPath=21_25 The 200 and 230 hard cast are impressive (to me).

This week I emailed Double Tap to ask what I could expect if I moved from the standard G20 barrel up to the 6.02 inch barrel and their response was: "Both will get great penetration, but the edge goes to the 230gr load by about 10%. You will get 1200fps from the 230gr and 1385fps from the 200gr in the 6"bbl. I would recommend the 230gr WFNGC load for areas where the bear will be over 500lbs. For some good loads using Blue Dot and 800X give us a call at 866-357-1066 and ask for Robert. Thanks and enjoy your 10mm!"

So, I hope I gave you some useful information. My Colt Delta Elite is my oldest firearm and the only one I'd never get rid of for sentimental reasons. The G20SF is the one I'd actually use.

MyTime

Buy a G21 and get a 10mm conversion barrel then you have a 45 ACP and a 10mm and you don't need to buy a new slide.

I have both and prefer the colt. It fits my hand and the trigger is a thousand times better than the glock. I just shoot better groups with a 1911.

For deer hunting I can't imagine needing more than 8 or 9 shots.

Deer...Contender in 357 Mag or 44 Mag....one shot is all it takes if you do your job.

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    EKC,

I have both.

Colt Delta Elite: In the mid 1980's I was a FFL dealer. I was part of a a letter writing campaign to manufacturers to re-introduce the 10mm following the death of the Bren Ten. In the mid-80's a few manufacturers listened and did come out with their 10mm pistols. I don't know if our letters had any impact but we tried. My 10mm is an early version, serial number of 00023xx and it works as advertised.

Colt:

Accuracy: Very consistant. At least as good as most Colt 1911's.
    Finish: Stainless Steel
    Reliability: No failures to feed (except when overly dirty and dry), fire, eject and I have a few thousand rounds through it.
    Recoil: Sharp, fast, significant enough the it kicked the white dots out of the rear sight within the first year of use.
    Customizing: Similar to any 1911 out there.

Glock 20 SF
    : I've owned it for 6 months and I really like it. I bought this because I want to preserve my Colt 10mm until I can be buried with it when I die (who says you can't take it with you?). The G20 was a really good purchase.

Glock:
    Accuracy: I haven't shot from a rest or really worked on accuracy but I can tell you from the offhand position it shoots consistently and very well in my hands.
    Finish: Standard Glock. Fairly weather resistant to some extent.
    Reliability: 150 rounds so far. Flawless.
    Recoil: It felt much lighter with the exact ammo. Perception or reality? Not sure but since it felt real I believe it. Less flip to it.
    Barrel: You'll probably want the Lone Wolf or comparable barrel to shoot hard cast bullets, so there may be a 120.00 mod needed.
    Customizing: Look at Lone Wolf and you will see some neat options. You can get a long-slide and beef up your velocity which beefs up your energy levels at impact. Compete assembled long-slides and barrels are pricey. You can get around that by using a drop-in 6 inch barrel with the original slide. With the long-slide you have a greater sighting plane which may assist you with making a more precision shot.

Here's an option... Do you like the 45 also? If so buy a G20 then you have a 10mm. Then go to Lone Wolf and get them to assemble a slide and barrel for a G21, the 45 ACP. The G20 and the G21 are the SAME frame. You can swap mags and upper assemblies (complete slides) and have 2 pistols.

I love the 1911's but for ME I think that the G20 with a 6 inch is the way for ME to go. I have yet to order the Lone-Wolf long-slide but that will happen in time.

Ammo: Look for Doube Tap ammo...they have really good specs... http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...hp?cPath=21_25 The 200 and 230 hard cast are impressive (to me).

This week I emailed Double Tap to ask what I could expect if I moved from the standard G20 barrel up to the 6.02 inch barrel and their response was: "Both will get great penetration, but the edge goes to the 230gr load by about 10%. You will get 1200fps from the 230gr and 1385fps from the 200gr in the 6"bbl. I would recommend the 230gr WFNGC load for areas where the bear will be over 500lbs. For some good loads using Blue Dot and 800X give us a call at 866-357-1066 and ask for Robert. Thanks and enjoy your 10mm!"

So, I hope I gave you some useful information. My Colt Delta Elite is my oldest firearm and the only one I'd never get rid of for sentimental reasons. The G20SF is the one I'd actually use.

MyTime
    Yes indeed on the glock, Double Tap Ammo, and Lone wolf long slide! Recoil is definately more of nice smooth push rearward and not much muzzle jump. Granted I do have the long slide and 24# spring. I now have a .454 casull, I will no doubt keep carrying my glock 20, unless GF goes, then she gets the glock. Can't wait to bust another blackie with my G20! Give me a call to talk ballistics if you want. I do shoot and recommend the 230gr HC load. Knocked my bear last year silly with one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Deer...Contender in 357 Mag or 44 Mag....one shot is all it takes if you do your job.
    I've killed so many deer with the 44 mag, 41 mag and 375 Winchester(Encore)and 357 mag that I'm bored with it....I'm needing a new challenge......thus a 10 MM auto???

I got board too and that's why I bow hunt now almost exclusively. Started 40 years ago with a recurve and went to a compound with the rest of the world. Then 5 years ago I went back to the recurve...just for the challenge and it is certainly more challenging than a handgun but a rotator cuff injury made me miss bow hunting last fall. Hopefully, the doc fixed it and I'll be behind the recurve again this year....chasing the challenge!!

Well if you donít mind plastic and the boxy look and it fits your hand save some bucks and get a Glock. Iíd get a 21 and pick up a 10mm barrel and mages, doesnít need to be a conversion barrel any G20 (stock or aftermarket) barrel will work on a 21. Now myself while I have great respect for the exhalant super reliable useful tool that is a Glock I find them ugly and lacking buttons/levers/dodads for me to play with so I would far prefer the Colt. So I guess Iím saying they are both great in their own ways and only you can make such a choice.

I will add to keep the ho-hums away If you have had lots of 1911s and never a Glock, maybe try a Glock . . . if you had Glocks and never a 1911 maybe try the Colt.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Have ya looked at the EAA Witness? CZ75 clone, very good rep, shoots great and good price. Best is, all the frames are the same and you can swap barrels and slides to your hearts content; buy a 10mm, get a 40 barrel (about $150) and a 22LR kit (about 150). Get bored and get a 45 bbl/slide for $180. Get really bored and get a 38 super 6" target kit for about $250.
    I don't own one, but seriously tempted after firing a couple of my buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well if you donít mind plastic and the boxy look and it fits your hand save some bucks and get a Glock. Iíd get a 21 and pick up a 10mm barrel and mages, doesnít need to be a conversion barrel any G20 (stock or aftermarket) barrel will work on a 21. Now myself while I have great respect for the exhalant super reliable useful tool that is a Glock I find them ugly and lacking buttons/levers/dodads for me to play with so I would far prefer the Colt. So I guess Iím saying they are both great in their own ways and only you can make such a choice.

I will add to keep the ho-hums away If you have had lots of 1911s and never a Glock, maybe try a Glock . . . if you had Glocks and never a 1911 maybe try the Colt.
    I don't believe that is correct about the Glock 21 taking a 20 bbl. There is a size difference, why a 20 bbl won't fit in a 21. KKM had made conversion bbls for the 21. But are hard to find now days since user error I hear, they pulled them or don't make any more, but there is stock of them somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Have ya looked at the EAA Witness? CZ75 clone, very good rep, shoots great and good price. Best is, all the frames are the same and you can swap barrels and slides to your hearts content; buy a 10mm, get a 40 barrel (about $150) and a 22LR kit (about 150). Get bored and get a 45 bbl/slide for $180. Get really bored and get a 38 super 6" target kit for about $250.
    I don't own one, but seriously tempted after firing a couple of my buddies.
    I have an EAA Match 10mm, a Witness in 45, and had a compact in 40, they are a lot of gun for the money and I sure like them. I wouldnít bother getting just a barrel though when a full conversion kit can be found for around $200. Mine all feed good and hit where aimed but I have a 22 kit that is very picky on ammo, needs to be hot stuff to move the heavy slide. Love the Match 10mm the best, it comes with all kinds of goodies the Witness does not. They lack some of the ďfunĒ factor found in a 1911 and some of the ďit just worksĒ factor of a Glock but are a very good option to look at for 10mm fun. They stand well above their reputation and price tag in my book, I keep acquiring them and havenít let down.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I don't believe that is correct about the Glock 21 taking a 20 bbl. There is a size difference, why a 20 bbl won't fit in a 21. KKM had made conversion bbls for the 21. But are hard to find now days since user error I hear, they pulled them or don't make any more, but there is stock of them somewhere.
    There is a size difference on the inside, outside is exactly the same on the 20 and 21 I have, could be some older G20s with the smaller OD but Iíve not seen any. My G20 pipe will drop right into my G21, I have done it and it works. Iím not the first or only guy to do it, I learned it over on Glock Talk. You canít put a 21 (45acp) on a 20 (10mm) due to the bolt face diameter the 10mm extractor hits the 45 rim and prevents it closing but the 45 extractor will grab 10mm just fine. Also donít know about long slides or compacts but a plain old G20 barrel fits in a plain old G21 like it was made to be there.

Now to run the hot 10mm stuff the 45s springs arenít gonna cut it but as you know the same is true in a standard G20 springs. So to run 10mm in a G21 you need a G20 barrel or conversion barrel, G20 magazine, springs to run hot ammo, and a couple minutes of swapping stuff out.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

From Glocktalk G20 barrel top and G21 bottom.

654e3938.jpg

Here is a G21 with an LWD G20 replacement barrel (not a conversion barrel) installed.
    9955abff.jpg
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    From Glocktalk G20 barrel top and G21 bottom.

654e3938.jpg

Here is a G21 with an LWD G20 replacement barrel (not a conversion barrel) installed.
    9955abff.jpg
    WEll ya learn something new every day! Never touched a 21, but was not sure about the barrel lugs being the same either, most of the other glocks are not, from what I seen. Pretty cool, thanks for the explanation and pics!

The breech faces are different sizes, are they not? Does the 10mm function reliably in the G21?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    The breech faces are different sizes, are they not? Does the 10mm function reliably in the G21?
    Yes they are different which is why the G20 wonít run 45acp, the 10mm extractor can hit the 45 rim preventing the action closing. Reliability would, as is always the case with any modification, be on a gun by gun bases. All I can say is I had no issues at all in the 100 or so rounds I put through mine and havenít heard anyone that has done it say they had any trouble with reliability. I'm sure if enough people do it sooner or later someone will have some kind of trouble though.

I assume there is a reason Glock makes the bolt face different and that it likely has something to do with reliability. But I think itís a CYA thing similar to the cast bullet disclaimer they put in their user manuals. I figure Glock canít risk say 1-in-1000 units that fail to extract maybe 1-of-100 rounds fired in it, they canít test fire every unit extensively enough to find a bad one, so they change the bolt face to remove that posability. As owners we can (and should) test our gun to test its actual reliability with this or that ammo and any modification, we can find that we have an issue and adress it. Even a grip swap or hanging a light under the muzzle can affect the reliability of an auto loading pistol, they can be picky sometimes.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I got board too and that's why I bow hunt now almost exclusively. Started 40 years ago with a recurve and went to a compound with the rest of the world. Then 5 years ago I went back to the recurve...just for the challenge and it is certainly more challenging than a handgun but a rotator cuff injury made me miss bow hunting last fall. Hopefully, the doc fixed it and I'll be behind the recurve again this year....chasing the challenge!!
    Yup me too. I hunt hard with bow and have for years, however when gun season starts in this state bow season closes down. I have a dandy slug gun that has sat in the rack for years and unless someone borrows it it gets paid little attention. I got my old side hammer muzzleloader out last year for a new twist. This year I'm going to shoot one with the Glock 20 and with my Colt Commander(if I get proficient enough with it).

AD, I agree 100%. Them Glocks are butt ugly and they sound like a toy dart gun when dry fired. It took me a long while to get past that and finally get my Glock 22, but now that I have it I will never part with it.

I did get a Glock 20 and have dry fired it at bad guys on TV but am yet to put a round through it.

I have a guy that's interested in buying one of my motorcycles and if he takes it then I'm getting a Delta Elite too.

nbh40 and AD,

A friend of mine bought a Witness Match 10mm a couple of months ago. He has not shot it yet but we are headed to the range this afternoon so I asked him to bring it along. I agreed to buy a hundred rounds of 10mm's if he'd let me use his gun to shoot half of them. So it looks like I'll get some first hand experience on the EEA.

I'll let you know what I think!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast