Thread: Spit?

Default Spit?

Anyone heard of anyone catching fish off Homer spit gonna take the kids down there next weekend for a family day fishing trip. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Stop by the Sports Shed on the spit they can point out where and what to use the kids will have a blast. Lots of cod,and sole even some nice Irish Loards some much fun.

We've done well on Dollies off the tip of the spit casting spinners. Not sure if time of year dictates success there though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Read My Post In The Kayak Forum Deep Ck vs Homer

Hey 900,
    I tried kayaking out of Deep Creek last Wednesday but got blown off so went to the spit instead.It was much calmer down there and I ended up catching 3 cod and a few irish lords in a little over 3 hours of an in coming tide.Nothing to write home about but I enjoyed myself.Go do it.

Dollies start in April there. Early April with nice spring, late april if lousy. Best spot for dollies is right in front of the harbor entrance.Nice steep gravel beach that the dollies schools like to chase the sand lance against, then attack. (fun to watch) Castmasters, Crockadiles, swedish pimples best but anything shiny can work. I've had great days with my flyrod throwing streamers from shore there. One hr b4 high tide thru slack, and my fave....first hr and a half of tide going out from high. Although any time can wk. Watch the water for 15 min from the lot above to see if u see dollies attacking. Although u can often catch when no action is present. By mid May, dollies WILL be there thru about mid-late June, Maybe first part of July. Then they head for the rivers. If u have kids that like to catch fish.... stop at Safeway, grab a small pack of pork chops. (U'll probly only need one) Cut to small nickle size pieces and use plain hook with enough sinker to keep on bottom and cast out near steel pilings by Lands End. U'll see the birds gathered there at the outflow. Lots of flounder (gd eating) some cod, usually a little farther out, Irish lords and maybe a butt. Pork stays on the hook real well and one piece is often good for 6-7 fish. Not uncommon to get 20 flounder in hr and half. Fish here at lowest part of tide so u can get bait out. Kids have a blast! Good luck and have fun!! -------------POSTED A WHILE BACK.........
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

great fun!! at low tide cast bait as far as you can and enjoy catching pollock, flounder and irish lords on almost every cast. i use half hooligan for bait down there but i'm sure anything will work. squid or octopus will stay on the hook longer. on another note bring either a light weight rod you know casts FAR or use the longest rod you can find, my cheap 10' okuma does really well with a 2-3 ounce weight. the farther the better!!

i just got back to town from the spit. the fishing was non stop around low tide for pollok, irish lords, and flounder. we used herring, as did most of the other people.

Thanks for the info and tips, we went down there last year but didnt remember what time of year. this weekend should be pretty good.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Just got back also. We were there all weekend for the mothers day weekend. Go about an hour and half before low tide and just cast out to the pilings on the left side of the lands end. We were the only ones there last night, and you will catch something on every cast. It was great fun for the kids. Mine are 3,5, and 7 and all had a blast. My 3 year old caught the biggest irish lord i have ever seen, it was just about as big as her, and there are cod everywhere, very fun. I dont know how everyone else rigs there line but I had a single hook about a foot and half from the weight on the end of the line. I think with the weight on the end of the line it helps keep the bait just off the bottom. Also dont be shy about using a good size single hook, nothing is too big. Have fun