Thread: Best 18 foot open skiff with a standup console

Default Best 18 foot open skiff with a standup console

for Alaska ? Who do you think makes it ? I'm thinking about getting one but before I leap I want to make sure I know the market.

For power I will put a 50 hp on it to keep it Kenai legal, but mainly it will be run on the large lakes. I want a boat completely open with no clutter just a standup console. I really like the looks of this Steelhead model, but then I got to wondering who the competition is and maybe there's other boats I should look at too.

http://www.atecmarine.com/steelhead.html

Any thoughts ?

tustumena_lake,
    If I were looking for an 18 foot skiff, I'd look at Alweld. They have a version modified for the Alaska market and sold through The Boat Shop in Fairbanks. Also, Wooldridge could make what you want. They're pretty stout, and somewhat heavy. A 50/35 jet might not be enough for an 18 foot Wooldridge, but might be OK with a 50 hp motor using a propeller. Glenn Wooldridge would have a reliable answer for you.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I've been running an 18 foot Bayrunner open D for the last 3 years on Tustumena but I've went and busted a weld on the bottom of the boat and while I think a Bayrunner is an outstanding boat it may be a bit light for my needs. So I'm trying to put a lot of thought and research into the next one because i would like to get it right the first time as it will probably be my last boat.

I suppose I should run up to the big city and just go to all the shops and see what they have.

For ten years I ran a 25 foot Peregrine Marine offshore with twin outboards. Full vee and it could eat up everything Tustumena could throw at it. But unfortunately I couldn't use it until mid-July because the entrance to the lake is shallow till then and it drew too much water. So for two months it was something smaller to get through the mouth. That was a nice boat though, we slayed a lot of Deep Creek halibut with it but everyone got old and I really didn't need it anymore.

Wow - surprised to hear you had problem with a Bayrunner - that would have been my first choice. Wooldridge makes an outstanding boat, have owned 2 now and love 'em. Might also look at http://www.tuffboat.com/ ... A buddy of mine in JNU had one built and it is indestructible.

XL

Call Kenny down in SoCal and ask him about a 18' Klamath , there made better now days .
    Kenny 949-335-8909 , Tell him Les from Texas sent ya.

Member here: Spoiled One, has done buss. with Kenny.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Thanks, I'll check them out. I've been running an 18 foot Bayrunner open D for the last 3 years on Tustumena but I've went and busted a weld on the bottom of the boat and while I think a Bayrunner is an outstanding boat it may be a bit light for my needs. So I'm trying to put a lot of thought and research into the next one because i would like to get it right the first time as it will probably be my last boat.

I suppose I should run up to the big city and just go to all the shops and see what they have.
    I've got a 19' Bayrunner, Tustumena; like to know where how your boat got a broken weld. That's kind of scrary.

I saw a few nice open skiffs on the side of the Sterling Highway for sale.

Its about a third of the way back from the bow is the best way to describe it. I added a photo so you could see the outside break but I know its broken on the inside weld at the vee too cause I leak water. Also I put water inside of it on the trailer to comfirm it. As long as I'm on step no leaks, so I think I pounded a bit too hard and too often on the rollers on Tustumena between Bear Creek and Moose Creek.

I want to make something clear though, a Bayrunner is a very good boat. An outstanding boat.

bayrunner 002.JPG